'Ancient Origins' Set List Discussion Thread

Remember that Golurk is a dual Ground/Ghost type Pokemon, so we might get a fighting type non-AT Golurk. Also the reveal of Vespiquen basically confirms that Cottonee and Whimsicott are fairy types, since there's no more room before Virizion.
Is it possible that the non AT Golurk could be a fighting type?

Yep, I had realized this after I made my earlier post and the other Golurk is added to the list appropriately.

But that is a good point about Cottonee and Whimsicott, I'll add them to the list as well.

It's a shame we aren't getting FA Supporters, as they more stably hold their value over time.

Still, possibly 2 Gold Item cards? If the 97+ card set is to be believed.

It's a shame we aren't getting FA Supporters, as they more stably hold their value over time.

Still, possibly 2 Gold Item cards? If the 97+ card set is to be believed.
The 97+ cards set has been found to be wrong. What the ad should have stated was 81+???. Now , they could have messed up and put the total of the whole set in the ad , super and ultra rares in all. then that would mean we still have 2 UR's left.
That is unlikely though , if the 97+ was right then we would have over 100 cards in this set lol
the whole set total with SR's and UR's included is either going to be 95 or 97.

The 97+ cards set has been found to be wrong. What the ad should have stated was 81+???. Now , they could have messed up and put the total of the whole set in the ad , super and ultra rares in all. then that would mean we still have 2 UR's left.
That is unlikely though , if the 97+ was right then we would have over 100 cards in this set lol
the whole set total with SR's and UR's included is either going to be 95 or 97.

It's been found to be wrong on what? Speculation?

Unless we get something official from Nintendo/TPCi, the count is 97+ for Bandit Ring, no matter what we think.

Unless we get something official from Nintendo/TPCi, the count is 97+ for Bandit Ring, no matter what we think.

The reason for the belief that it's a discrepancy is that when there's a listed number shown on a promotional image (like the 97+??? in the Bandit Ring promo image), this number typically refers to the number of "official" cards cards in the set, which would be all C/U/R/RR cards, but not counting the SRs and URs that are counted after the number (SRs and URs comprising the ??? number). Now that we've seen actual cards from the, we know that the "official" total is 81, and this number is used elsewhere for product information, such as AmiAmi which lists "全81種+???"; notice it's the same kanji as the text in the original promo image?

But, yeah, I'm thinking the 97 was either trimmed back for some reason, or was accidentally the actual full set of cards instead of just the C/U/R/RR cards, which would mean we still have 2 more URs, probably gold-bordered items.

Regardless, we'll know soon enough since the set is coming out in less than a week. We'll probably have the whole set leaked in just a couple days or so.

go read the description for bandit ring on amiami , that will clear it up for you. Also the fact that the cards are labled out of 81 tells us that the number on the ad was wrong or changed.
like the poster said above me , the number they use in their posters does not included SR or UR cards in the set. So if 97+ was the case then bandit ring would have over 110 cards in it lol
Bandit rings description on ami ami says " randomly assorted from 81 types +?" and then that's 81 + 11 SR ( full arts) plus the 3 UR ( shiny FA) comes out to 95.
So now the question is , is the full set 95 or 97 cards total?? we shall find out!! if it is 97 then that means we get 2 more UR's which would more than likely be gold items.

Can't wait to see what comes out of this set, hoping for cards that could help my new M Aggron EX deck (Posted it in the Deck Garage)!

Being Eevee #63 I predict that Porygon and Smeargle will appear...

I would say Stantler might be more likely, since it actually appears in ORAS on one of the Mirage Mountains.

Also now that we know that Registeel is #51, I would assume that the Beldum line is #48-#50, assuming there's no Ancient Traits.

I would say Stantler might be more likely, since it actually appears in ORAS on one of the Mirage Mountains.

Also now that we know that Registeel is #51, I would assume that the Beldum line is #48-#50, assuming there's no Ancient Traits.
Well Stantler is one of my favourite Pokémon (i hope someday have Normal/Psychic Mega), so it will be good. And Stantler doesn't appear since...wow...HGSS Unleashed... Smeargle doesn't appear since Call of Legends, so both desserve.

I hope Metagross have the same Ability of Magnezone...

Updated the list, and I would agree with wanting another Stantler in the game. There are definitely going to be some Gen 2 normal type Pokemon in between Eevee and Lugia (if Porygon line or Snorlax don't comprise of every slot). Noctowl and Ursaring are my go to choices for this set.

Updating the list with the current reveal of FA leaks. The numbering is exactly how we had earlier thought it would be so that completely rules out the possibility of FA supporters.

Updating the list with the current reveal of FA leaks. The numbering is exactly how we had earlier thought it would be so that completely rules out the possibility of FA supporters.
Hahhaha so they did mess up and put the total number of cards on the ad , UR included.
so its confirmed 97 cards total for the whole set!!!

So we have a full set list now, so I guess discussion on this will shift from predictions to overall opinions on the set list.

I like that Ariados and Vespiquen got cards, its been awhile for them and they also look like crazy competitors.

Pretty lame set for me in terms of the Pokemon selection. Regice, Spinarak/Ariados, Unown and Persian are really the only ones that qualify as not having shown up in a long time (the Plasma sets are still pretty recent IMO, at least when there's still a ton of Pokemon who last appeared in DPP/HGSS sets). Some lesser/never seen type selections like Fairy Ralts/Cottonee and Fighting Wooper are good too. In general I don't understand why every Pokemon with an Ancient Trait has to get a regular card too. It just limits the selection even further.

Since Bandit Ring has been leaked in its entirety, you may now discuss the Set List for Ancient Origins instead. Which cards aside from the ones in Bandit Ring could make the but into the international set?

It's kind of hard to make predictions when we don't even know how big Ancient Origins will be yet. A sell sheet giving a set size estimate will determine if Togekiss/Emboar or Legendary Shine will be in this set immediately. (I'm guessing Legendary Shine will be a separate mini-set like Double Crisis, but they might put the Togekiss/Emboar deck in Ancient Origins. Since XY8 is a double set, our English November set is probably going to be packed as it is.)

A lot of the recent Japanese promos have been alternate artwork reprints or quirky stuff like Pikachu dressed up in jackets shaped like other Pokemon. The only new Trainers are Energy Recycle and Heavy Boots. Jirachi and Ancient Trait Celebi are two of the few XY-P promos that aren't reprints. I suppose they could put the Umbreon promo in but unless there's an unrevealed Espeon promo coming, that'll seem really weird. The three forgotten cards from last year's Super Legend Set (Pancham, Pangoro and Slurpuff) could be slipped in, or just remain forgotten.

Well it would make the EX list even longer but there is also a small possibility of M. Blazkien EX and M. Swampert EX being added to the set as they were released in promo form too. So far we have no indication of how we're going to get these cards.

Of course with those released was supposed to be a Sceptile EX for them that we got in our Hoenn power tins. Who knows when they'll get it and if a new M. Sceptile EX will accompany it.

I'm assuming the Mega Blaziken and Mega Swampert are going to be in the set after Ancient Origins, especially as they would be perfect users for the likely Special [W] and Special [R] energy.

Last edited:
Bbninjas, I assume you meant M. Swampert and not M. Sceptile.

That's a logical assumption but not necessarily a correct assumption. By that assumption M. Latias should have been in Ancient Origins since we got M. Latios in Roaring Skies and yet we didn't.

As for the (theoretical) special water and fire energy, there are other corresponding megas. Fire has the possibility of M. Camerupt or M. Houndoom. Water has more possibilities with M. Sharpedo, M. Glalie, M. Gyarados and M. Abomasnow.

There is also the point that the M. Blaziken and M. Sceptile are promos. They have no corresponding full arts. So far every mega Pokémon released in an actual set (so excluding M. Diancie and M. Absol) have also had full arts to go with it since Primal Clash and I don't think that is going to end now.

Oh, I think an obvious inclusion into our Ancient Origins set is the Hoopa card that will be given out during the Japanese release of the new Hoopa movie.

Last edited:
Back