Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Deck Maker Xerneas

Deck Builder
Anybody else see that the opponent has a Bandit Ring Kyurem-EX and some other water Pokemon (that may be from bandit ring, it's too blurry to tell. It might be regice knowing regirock is confirmed) on his bench at the beginning of the game.
Yeah, it's a regice, the camera cleared at the end
i_think_i_might_be_the_first_one_to_notice_this____by_arceus8523-d8ud6v8.png

Last edited:

Deck Maker Xerneas

Deck Builder
Also, in the discard pile at the end is a dragon pokemon-ex peaking out, idk if it's new (maybe ampharos or sceptile), I just thought i'd bring it up

Gentlefish

Hero of Truth
I just finished persuading myself that it wouldn't be worth it to buy any more TCG products and that I should just keep building my silly online Team Magma's Groudon deck for free... and this happens.
I kinda prefer regular Rayquaza to shiny Rayquaza simply because it's green, but... now I have to go through not buying the pin blister all over again. I might not manage it this time. :p

Also, the logo and all of the artwork is so beautiful. I thought Roaring Skies had a really nice aesthetic, but I think it just became second best.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that the set name's initials correspond to Kyogre and Groudon's Greek letters?

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
What I really want to see is Arceus-EX... I was thinking maybe it would be in the set but if it was, I'm sure it would be on one of the packs art... My only hope is the legendary mini-set now...

Setosama

Mew Trainer
Oh wow! Those shiny pack arts for the Mega Rayquaza and the Primal Groudon look SICK! 8D

Shame that Kyogre got shafted but REALLY cool seeing shiny Pokemon on the covers of booster packs for the first time EVER! 8D

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Dear The Pokémon Company...

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money

Attachments

• shut-up-and-take-my-money-9299-400x250.jpg
    shut-up-and-take-my-money-9299-400x250.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 3

SoulSilver

Reliving memories whilst making new ones
I've not been keeping up with the TCG news lately. When does this set come out? Thanks.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
I've not been keeping up with the TCG news lately. When does this set come out? Thanks.
If I remember correctly, it's coming out in early August :) The pre-releases for the set will happen in the last week of July/first week of August, I would think. I hope I could help!

This set is really turning out pretty great for me so far - what do people hope for most in this set?

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
If I remember correctly, it's coming out in early August :) The pre-releases for the set will happen in the last week of July/first week of August, I would think. I hope I could help!

This set is really turning out pretty great for me so far - what do people hope for most in this set?

Lots of half arts.
And Full Arts
AND HALF ART FULL ARTS

Otaku

The wise fool?
I expected that the new set would bring cards to "break" the Mega Rayquaza combo, but it became stronger instead. :0
Well, just waiting for new scans. :b

Perhaps that was the intention, but your comment is extra humorous since in TCGs, "broken" refers to cards that are seen as overly powerful. Give it another few sets; right now the game feels like Dragon Ball Z (especially this time, since 'Quaza =P): they have to build it up for a bit and then will counter it to make us feel like the game is progressing and so that whatever counters it will seem awesome. You know... instead of just giving us balanced (or as close to it as they can) gameplay the whole time. ;P

1) Lower Stages that are useful without themselves being overpowered or otherwise feeling abusive; it won't fix everything but it would be a step in the right direction for Evolutions lines to truly be combos instead of the lower Stages simply being stepping stones.

2a) Higher HP scores without damage creep - long time thing for me is that the TCG HP scores are too low for what the-powers-that-be want to do with the game. Can't issue an errata to tone everything that exists back down, so the only other option is to inflate scores to effectively nerf what we already have.

2b) Pardon the fancy numbering, but this point is too close to the prior to be totally separate but too much to make one super-long point: alongside increased HP dial the damage back. This would allow higher HP scores to become the norm (along with other shifts in design) by making it a transition period. Eventually the earlier stuff will rotate out and then the game can further progress, but higher HP coupled with lower damage would keep newer, larger Pokémon from overwhelming what we already have.

3) More "can attack when going first" clauses in attacks but only for set-up and preferably on Evolving Basics (or at least on non-Evolving Basics that aren't also useful as main attackers). Deoxys (ROS) wasn't a total waste but it didn't draw enough to really be worth it, though perhaps it will in the future. If N is cut at rotation, such draw effects are likely to become better early game. If each Type had such a "set-up" Pokémon, it would also help counter Seismitoad-EX, undermining the lock without shattering it.

4) Snorlax, preferably in a "good but not broken" capacity. ;)

kyokencl

Aspiring Trainer
etto.....why i feel i'm the only one curious about the special energy from this set?

my theory about they is that will be a Darkness type and a Lightning type

why?

just look the 1st set releasing the 1st 2 special energy from Furious Fist

Herbal energy and Strong energy .......ideal for M Heracross EX and M Lucario EX respectively

next, Phantom Forces

with the mayor card strategic upgrade made for Psychic Pokémon they made the Mystery energy......ideal for M Gengar EX

Primal Clash recreate the same pattern of FFI with Steel and Fairy Pokémon making the Shield energy and Wonder energy.....ideal for M Aggron EX and M Gardevoir EX respectively

now with Roaring Skies made the same of PHF but using the case of Dragon type making the Double Dragon energy........ideal for M Latios EX

if you see this carefully its follows a pattern that i'm sure they will repeat now confirming M Tyranitar EX (possibly a mega Darkness type ) and M Ampharos EX (possibly a Lightning type)

the only one of both i wanna try is the Lightning type (my favorite one)

thats all

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Well if there is a dark type special energy it would probably be the same kind we got WAY back in Neo Genesis and all of those going forward.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Well if there is a dark type special energy it would probably be the same kind we got WAY back in Neo Genesis and all of those going forward.

The only thing is Strong Energy is pretty much Darkness Energy +

It needs to differentiate itself

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I'm not sure I agree that that it has to differentiate. Strong energy was after all a copy from what Dark energy was so long ago, except of course more damage. There is no rule saying that it can't simply be the same thing only done for Dark Pokémon. Does it differentiate itself, no. Does it need to? I don't think so, not when we see Lugia EX being the EXACT same thing as Mewtwo EX (except being a different type) and for that matter we see other aspects being repeated or slightly modified too. After all Inferno Fandango Emboar has the same power as Rain Dance Blastoise but for fire instead of water, nothing new there except type either.

Furthermore, I don't really know what else they would do with Darkness energy if it doesn't cause more damage...a trait that Strong borrowed from dark in the first place.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
I'm not sure I agree that that it has to differentiate. Strong energy was after all a copy from what Dark energy was so long ago, except of course more damage. There is no rule saying that it can't simply be the same thing only done for Dark Pokémon. Does it differentiate itself, no. Does it need to? I don't think so, not when we see Lugia EX being the EXACT same thing as Mewtwo EX (except being a different type) and for that matter we see other aspects being repeated or slightly modified too. After all Inferno Fandango Emboar has the same power as Rain Dance Blastoise but for fire instead of water, nothing new there except type either.

Furthermore, I don't really know what else they would do with Darkness energy if it doesn't cause more damage...a trait that Strong borrowed from dark in the first place.

I guess I just hope we do get some more unique or cool cards, rather than the same cards that fall back to the same strategies.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I couldn't agree more TheStrictNein, but I think Lugia EX being so similar to Mewtwo EX proves that that isn't likely to happen.

Again though, Strong Energy is just a slightly better version of Darkness Energy from Neo Genesis, so the lack of originality has been around on and off for over a decade.

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
Still no Masquerain love, my dreams have been crushed once again. At least M-Ampharos is in it, and the pack arts look decent. For some reason the M-Tyranitar pack art gives me a nostalgic feeling, like it takes me back to the old days or something lol

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member

I'm hoping for a few good trainers that would be fairly staple among most decks, or at least be used a lot, and a good reprint or two. Revive was somewhat disappointing, I guess, since I cant see too many decks actually use it.