Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Oooooooooooooooooh great, Mewtwo is getting reprinted. Amazing. Incredible. Fantastic. Wonderful.

Reprint bloody Seismitoad as well TPCi, you may as well at this point.

Also, Hoopa Unbound seems somewhat useful as a tech card.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
also if we don't get any Megas in this set I'll be even more disappointed, I could've sworn Hoopa Unbound was going to be a special Mega like the Primals tbh

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
There isn't a possibility that America will get Lugia/Kyurem under some Legendary holo collection and not under Bandit, is there?

Highly unlikely. We don't even know if it will get a separate release (like Dragon Selection or Double Crisis) or if it will just be folded into the main set (Like how Shiny Collection was a subset of Legendary Treasures). However, each time the former has happened, the mini-sets have always been the exact same as the Japanese releases.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
Hoopa is going to be sick in Raymin. Drop it then grab Shaymin EX. After rotation occurs it makes up for no eggs in the deck.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
Love hoopas ability. I don't see too many uses for it though. Its attack stinks. Might be okay with that wide lens if it works on this attack.
I'm okay with the xball reprint because of the better typing of weakness. When facing against mewtwo the psychic vs. psychic typing was scary. Now, against anything electric it will most certainly die. Manectric just kills it entirely.
Its just so sad that after 3 reprints Pokémon still can't get a good kyurem ex...hopefully it will get a cool full art at least.

Frosty

Bleh.
you know...I was thinking about collecting this set.

But screw it. I want new Pokemon to have ex cards. Not the same fricken legendaries. I'm so upset right now!!

...at least the Lugia card looks cool....

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Hoopa-EX seems interesting, but only for its ability really. The attack is [P][P][P], and it's practically a worse version of Raikou-EX. The retreat cost doesn't really do it any favors, either. I like how Lugia-EX has an X Ball equivalent with a better weakness; I could see it being played a bit albeit its matchup against Electric isn't desirable at all. And of course, as always, a Kyurem-EX which will never be played. This set is looking interesting, though!

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Looks like Lugia stole one of Mewtwo's moves. Not gonna complain though, I LOVE Lugia so I'm gonna be gunning for that and Hoopa EX upon their release.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Well at least Lugia EX is a regular one and not a plasma one, points for that. Really though couldn't this one at least have been psychic to make a small difference...wait no, because then it would have been exactly like Mewtwo EX. Of course maybe that would have been a bit better in game terms because at least there is weakness to consider, nothing is weak to colorless. I think the better idea would have been NOT to basically copy and paste this card :rolleyes:.

Kyurem EX, again? As a water (ice) type again? Couldn't this at least have been a dragon type? I do kind of like the second attack name but it doesn't really save the card. I have to say this is a bit of a disappointment.

Was I the only one hoping that Hoopa (unbound) EX would be a dark type. I mean it sure looks like it and on top of that the attack makes it seem like it should have been dark too.

I do hope the megas and the rest of the EX's aren't nearly as disappointing as these first two.

Last edited:

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Was I the only one hoping that Hoopa (unbound) EX would be a dark type. I mean it sure looks like it and on top of that the attack makes it seem like it should have been dark too.

I was hoping for a Dark-type Hoopa Unbound, too, especially since that would be a great way to differentiate it from the regular form, and there are much less options for Dark-type Pokémon in general. But, meh, that's still the least disappointing thing about this set so far. :p

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
I am pretty sure that the next set will feature a lot of EXs... Hoopa is "meh" for attack but it may be used for searching EX's so that means: "EX will dominate the format again"

I am fine with Lugia really. It was the first legendary I ever liked (because of the great movie) and I would definitely like to see more of it.... and X ball was always a decent attack... --.--

I would like to see New Ex's like Gallade-Gardevoir... not reprints or reprints but not useless... I am looking at you Kyurem ...

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
I really don't get WHY they make more EX-cards of the same Pokemon. We have yet to see:
(M) Beedrill Ex, (M) Pidgeot Ex, (M) Pinsir Ex, (M) Ampharos Ex, (M) Scizor Ex, (M) Steelix ex, (M) Banette ex, (M) Medicham ex, (M) Audino ex, and so many more. Even Mewtwo and Latias wil get another EX-cards for its Mega Evolutions. But why bother complaining. Hope the rest of the set will be epic.

RideLith

All theory. No action.
Hoopa is going to be sick in Raymin. Drop it then grab Shaymin EX. After rotation occurs it makes up for no eggs in the deck.

My exact thoughts. Now people can't complain that Winona isn't in most Raymin lists - we just got a better Winona in Hoopa. With an Ultra Ball you can now grab Ray and M Ray at once with an extra Shaymin for draw power, or even a double Shaymin if what's missing is just a M Ray. I'm pretty sure you can combo a Hoopa into another Hoopa +2 EXes too. Kinda speaks for itself, Hoopa will be insane in Raymin. I don't see much specific use for it outside of this deck, though, but people might run it as 1-of, maybe cutting 1 Ultra Ball for it.

Also, it says that you can grab up to 3 EXes, so if you want to grab only 2 to give a single Shaymin more draw power, it is a possibility.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Man this is a such a shame.

Here I was hoping they would start making EX Pokemon less dominant because they honestly make the game a whole lot less fun, especially with Seismitoad around. Now we gotta deal with a new Mewtwo clone that can have NO Weakness thanks to Altaria?

Guess it's time to go back to just simply collecting.

Oooooooooooooooooh great, Mewtwo is getting reprinted. Amazing. Incredible. Fantastic. Wonderful.

Reprint bloody Seismitoad as well TPCi, you may as well at this point.

Also, Hoopa Unbound seems somewhat useful as a tech card.

The worst part about this is, the new Master Deck Build Box might have it's own set number like the first one. Meaning if Seismitoad EX sees a reprint in it this late.... we are bound to see another one sometime soon.

Last edited:

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Looking into RayMin and Hoopa-EX, I think I might try and pick it up sometime. I don't see how much of a problem Lugia-EX's weakness is outside of the Manetric-EX matchup, however. I wonder how this set will affect the game... At the moment, I think it will move to be a lot more EX-focused, though I don't know the format well anymore.