Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Well, like someone said, I doubt both Mega Sceptile and Mega Ampharos will be Dragon... One one hand, Sceptile is a starter, and with the exception of Charizard which has 2 Mega evos, PCL is showing to be quite resilient on keeping the starters with their primary types, so M-Sceptile might be Grass instead of Dragon.
On the other hand, Ampharos is the only Electric Mega other than Manectric and while the TCG Grass has both VG Grass and Bug Megas to cover the type, that's not the case for Electric.
There's also the possibility that none of them will be Dragon, as there are so many other Dragon Megas (either released or left to release), they might want to keep it varied.

When I first saw the promo Malamar with theta trait, I went to look it up... It seems an ancient form of the letter is used to represent death... Add that to the color of the trait (purple) and I thought it was chosen due to this set being based around Hoopa... but as it happens, Hoopa EX doesn't have any theta trait. There might be a regular Hoopa card with a theta trait, but still... it's weird for me...

One last thing... Just because there's shiny version of the primals and mega-ray, it doesn't mean shinies are back... For all we know, they can be like the promo shiny Rayquaza-EX. Also, the Mega Metagross and japanese exclusive Mega Gengar promos show a shiny version without any special redesign of the card, they were treated as regular cards...

Cherryn

Aspiring Trainer
OMG
I just made a team with M Ampharos in my ORAS game and now it comes to TCG. *fainted*
But I'm still waiting for Alakazam-EX... Maybe next set? :b

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
We are yet to see the 4th Mega. I think it's fair to say that it likely is going to be a [N] M-Latias-EX?

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
We are yet to see the 4th Mega. I think it's fair to say that it likely is going to be a [N] M-Latias-EX?

Well we probably have a regular Hoopa EX still to come, and two EXs from the Legendary Holo Collection (which will probably be rolled into Ancient Origins in English sets). That's already 13 EXs, if we get another Mega this'll be a very EX heavy set.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
I'm beginning to wonder, will we see a set of Eeveelutions with this set? It's losing Flareon, Jolteon and Vaporeon with Plasma Freeze likely rotating. Would kinda diminish the usefulness of Energy Evolution Eevee.

Last edited:

Teeboy23

Pokemon Trainer
Wow. Hoopa, and Shiny Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Mega Rayquaza to resemble their versions in the movie? Hopefully this means America is getting the Hoopa movie AND a Hoopa distribution in August too, or September.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Looking forward to Ampharos...hopefully the standard EX will be good, I need more ideas for what to pair with my Mega Manectric.

I will be trying to get my hands on the Mega too, it being my favourite Pokemon and all...hopefully the Full Art will show that Loreal mane in all its glory.

Hellcat

Outlaw Trainer
... Still no M Houndoom. Ugh, this is getting depressing. :/ like we need another Kyurem or Lugia EX, there's already enough of those. Move on to more important things, like y'know, Houndoom and Suicune EXs.

Okay, but really, I hope they keep the terrifying artwork of unbound Hoopa because that is some amazing stuff.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Well they probably wouldn't make Houndoom EX until they're ready to make M. Houdoom EX. Of course we have two exceptions already in Camerupt EX and Sharpedo EX who were in Primal Clash but haven't had megas yet so I could be wrong.

I agree though, give a Suicune EX already!

I just hope we get a few alternate type Pokémon, aside from the Gardevoir line. I suspect the Whimsicott line will end up being grass types.

KingPig12

Now with 100% more pants
Pros of this announcement: Mega Ampharos and Mega Tyranitar! I hope M Ampharos is Electric and M TTar is Dark and Mega Sceptile can be Dragon
Cons: No M Latias :'(

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I personally hope that M. Sceptile in this set is grass so M. Ampharos can be dragon. Then the (theoretical at this point admittedly) M. Sceptile that should accompany the promo M. Swampert and M. Blaziken we've already seen can be grass instead. Of course even IF this happens I'd still want to get an electric M. Ampharos too at some point. What a tangled web :eek:.

As for M. Tyranitar, I think dark is the more likely option for it. I personally though am torn as to which I would prefer. On one hand we haven't seen a rock type Tyranitar since Neo Destiny. On the other, as I say dark is more likely. And we're left again with the fact if I had it my way we'd see both types.

I suppose we could still see M. Latias this set, which I was hoping for. But truly I find it questionable. Maybe in the Legendary promo thing coming out pretty much alongside it. I mean, the last two sets have had four mega like Pokémon (if one counts Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon since they do follow the same rules) but of course with Roaring Skies we only got two M. Rayquaza's because the dragon one was from a Japanese deck that we would never get here so they were instead added to the set. Much like with what happened with M. Charizard (Y) EX back in Flashfire.

Wait, I just noticed the ETB mention (no surprise there) and the pin blisters...why are we getting M. Tyranitar and shiny M. Rayquaza EX? Shouldn't we be getting Ampharos EX and/or Sceptile EX? Why don't we get shiny Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon?

dollyholly

Aspiring Trainer
I highly doubt they're gonna do more with Rayquaza, pin-wise. Intensely doubt. They only did an alternate of Charizard because it was along the "warui" line and different ones are achieved in the different game types. I'd be pleased with an Ampharos pin, negl and glad to see Tyranitar back! Can't wait to see these leaked, ahhhhh!! *vibrates*

I also hope Celebi is a prerelease promo too? *fingers crossed*

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Reggie, we've already gotten confirmation that we're going to get the shiny Rayquaza EX. Check this link http://www.pokebeach.com/2015/05/ancient-origins-tyrantrum-ex-box

dollyholly, the last part of the new announcement specifically says "As usual the set will come with an Elite Trainer Box (featuring Hoopa sleeves), two collector’s pin blisters with either Mega Tyranitar or Shiny Mega Rayquaza pins, mini-binders, etc." Unless they change their minds, they're doing more with Rayquaza pin-wise.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
PokéBeach said:
Shiny versions of Primal Kyogre-EX, Primal Groudon-EX, and M Rayquaza-EX will also be in the set because of their shiny appearances in the Hoopa movie.

There goes my wallet.

Green778

It's always darkest before the dawn...
Sounds great and a lot of fun :) I really like the M engine and it wouldn't be bad to have variety of different good decks. Also M Sceptile and M Tyranitar ??? Are you serious *.*' ? I can't wait :cool:

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
think about it though ,they said "shiny EX prmals and mega" I highly doubt that if these are like the shinys from the black and white era that they would be EX cards.
I honestly think these are going to be shiny ex full arts of some sort.
we already got a shiny rayquaza in dragons exalted also but it wasn't an ex!!
If these are ex cards then they will be nothing like the shinys of the black and white era ( the gold bordered ones mostly)
I consider this compelling evidence for shiny ex full arts of some sort!!!

They could also just be regular EXes with Shiny Pokémon, like the Shiny Rayquaza that Japan got as a promo recently. But I'm still gunning for FAs. :p

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah! I'm excited. Finally my beloved Ampharos will get a Mega evolution in the TCG. Nice. My hope is that both Ampharos EX and Sceptile EX will get two Mega cards. One for their original type, one for their dragon type. I was actually hoping that the EX versions of Sceptile, Blaziken and Swampert would be together in one set. Too bad.

I'm looking at the cards in this set and I wonder if Ho-oh (Lugia is and probably Celebi too), Terrakion, Cobalion en Keldeo would make an appearance. I also wouldn't be surprised if there will be another Hoopa. And I'm seriously hoping for Suicune Ex.

V-Master

Victory's Master
Return of the double type cards M-Tyranitar EX could be and lol :)
(wish all types had there own type in the TCG)

Last edited: