AmiAmi Discussion

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question. I recently got some stuff from AmiAmi and it smelled rather...odd. I figured it's just the packaging, but even when I opened my spiral force booster packs the odor was still at large.

The best way to describe it is...it smells like blood. Like dry blood. It's pretty gross...

I just wanted to ask you guys if all the newer japanese cards smell like this or is it AmiAmi merchandise or perhaps an unlucky order? I recently opened a japanese base booster box I bought elsewhere and it had no odor on the cards even though the box did a little.

Any advice? It's my first order from AmiAmi and I am pretty turned off by the whole thing, but I don't know what to do with it...I am definitely cancelling my megalo cannon order if this has happened to others before. I'd rather pay the extra money to have cards that smell like...cards.

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
RE: AmiAmi order and newer japanese cards odor

Sources confirm that the cards sold by AmiAmi were actually manufactured with blood. Genetic makeup of the blood found mixed with the other paper compounds reveal that the blood belongs to human beings. They are currently under investigation of the matter. AmiAmi claims the factory that they receive the cards from is clean and that there is no foul play involved.

You can find the story on the internet if you search on Google.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

omahanimes sniffs his Shiny Collection cards. omahanime's wife picks up the phone to call the psycho ward.

Smells like formaldehyde to me.

bagoly14

Funny, I'm being serious though.

You may like your cards smelling like shit but I sure don't. At this rate they are either being returned, trashed, or I'm getting a discount from amiami on my next order - and if the next order smells like shit too then I will never order from them again.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

bagoly14 said:
Funny, I'm being serious though.

You may like your cards smelling like shit but I sure don't. At this rate they are either being returned, trashed, or I'm getting a discount from amiami on my next order - and if the next order smells like shit too then I will never order from them again.

omahanime said:
Smells like formaldehyde to me.

I am being serious. If the cards smell it is not AmiAmi's fault. How would it be their fault, when cards smell, that are in a sealed pack inside a sealed box?

viper.fox

色違いピジョット

I highly doubt it'd be a problem with them, though. If you opened the packs and the smell intensified then it's a problem with PTCG and the manufacturing thus isn't AmiAmi's fault.

Yes, they usually have a distinctly different smell but not a gross one. It could be something as simple as a different pigment used in one printing run that might emit more of an odor. I find the smell of new JP cards quite pleasant; when I open English packs the vinegar like smell from deteriorating and bad quality inks makes me retch.

bagoly14

Ok, that's all good and fair, but then why does the WHOLE ORDER smell. I mean the box, the starter decks, the sealed wakuwaku set? It can't be 4 packs of cards making EVERYTHING smell, I think it is backwards, the place where they stored this order smelt so bad it got into the packs. Yes that can happen, ask a smoker.

When I say smell I mean noticeable - as in if I open the box they sent it in it smells up the whole room. I took out a starter deck just to see if it would change and it did not and it's been 4+ days (as in to see if it would lose its odor.).

I'm hoping viper and omahanime can enlighten me a bit more since I know you two are fellow japanese collectors and deal with amiami.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

I have bought sealed product from a smoker. It never penetrated the packaging. Of course all Pokemon product would smell the same, they are using the same printer and the same process.

bagoly14

omahanime said:
I have bought sealed product from a smoker. It never penetrated the packaging. Of course all Pokemon product would smell the same, they are using the same printer and the same process.

That is exactly what strikes me as odd, the odor should not penetrate a seal, so even if the cards in the pack had an odor the rest of the order should not. Do you see what I'm saying?

Cards smelling = possible
Whole order smelling = not possible unless storage area smelled

The outside of the sealed box you ordered smelled of smoke, the cards in the packs inside did not. Therefore the reverse applies. If the packs are sealed and cards smell bad then nothing else should. You know what I mean right?

viper.fox

色違いピジョット

Yeah but even things like smoke take time and CONSTANT exposure over a decent amount of time to make an effect unless it's directly (we're talking right over/under whatever is giving off said odor) afflicted. Given the boxes are all sealed if it was an acrid kind of scent that would somehow permeate the air-tight packs the cards are in it would likely discolour or harden the plastic seals over the boxes.

I have a similar thing with JP cards, where yes the smell is noticeable, and yes it lingers, but I'm not finding the scent unpleasant? I just find it smells of thick stock and high quality inks. Even from the boxes alone. The amiami box never has an odor that's beyond paper and cardboard. Sweet ink sometimes from when you crack open the shipping invoice seal, but that's it.

But the cards in the packs are sealed in airtight foil packs. Air. Tight. It means it's something with the ink. They use the same inks on the external boxes. I've personally never found them to smell like dried blood but that's just me? Everyone has a difference scent palette.

bagoly14

viper.fox said:
Yeah but even things like smoke take time and CONSTANT exposure over a decent amount of time to make an effect unless it's directly (we're talking right over/under whatever is giving off said odor) afflicted. Given the boxes are all sealed if it was an acrid kind of scent that would somehow permeate the air-tight packs the cards are in it would likely discolour or harden the plastic seals over the boxes.

I have a similar thing with JP cards, where yes the smell is noticeable, and yes it lingers, but I'm not finding the scent unpleasant? I just find it smells of thick stock and high quality inks. Even from the boxes alone. The amiami box never has an odor that's beyond paper and cardboard. Sweet ink sometimes from when you crack open the shipping invoice seal, but that's it.

But the cards in the packs are sealed in airtight foil packs. Air. Tight. It means it's something with the ink. They use the same inks on the external boxes. I've personally never found them to smell like dried blood but that's just me? Everyone has a difference scent palette.

Trust me, this is not a scent thing. I have opened countless japanese packs from the original era all the way to legend era and have never smelt anything like this. I need to invent smell-o-vision for you to understand this, it's definitely NOT ink. I would almost like to send you the whole order for free that's how bad it is. I kind of feel like I am asking the wrong people though since you both seem pretty pro amiami lol

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

I sniffed the Shiny Collection box, and a package. No noticeable smell to me. I agree with viper.fox, it is from the ink on the cards.

bagoly14

omahanime said:
I sniffed the Shiny Collection box, and a package. No noticeable smell to me. I agree with viper.fox, it is from the ink on the cards.

So you are telling me that the ink odor on the cards from Legend era to BW era has changed from ink to blood? If that is the case then I have my answer.

Not trying to be stand-offish here, just asking serious questions, forum posting makes me sound pissed + a d0uche.

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector

Hey, send that free order my way. I've got good smelling.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

bagoly14 said:
Trust me, this is not a scent thing. I have opened countless japanese packs from the original era all the way to legend era and have never smelt anything like this. I need to invent smell-o-vision for you to understand this, it's definitely NOT ink. I would almost like to send you the whole order for free that's how bad it is. I kind of feel like I am asking the wrong people though since you both seem pretty pro amiami lol

Neither viper or myself are pro AmiAmi.
Complain to AmiAmi. If you are unhappy with their response take your business elsewhere. If that stinks come back here and admit you were wrong in accusing AmiAmi.

bagoly14

evilpacman said:
Hey, send that free order my way. I've got good smelling.

Haha you wish, I'll just keep it in that smelly box for 10 years until a wakuwaku set is impossible to find sealed lol. In reality I'm gonna wait for my next order from amiami and if it's bad again I will order the exact same product from poly_100 or papermoon and if it still smells then I will stand corrected and publicly apologize for my amiami complaints.

omahanime said:
bagoly14 said:

Neither viper or myself are pro AmiAmi.
Complain to AmiAmi. If you are unhappy with their response take your business elsewhere. If that stinks come back here and admit you were wrong in accusing AmiAmi.

You just made yourself sound even more pro amiami there lol. I have no problem admitting if I am in the wrong, but I extremely doubt it in this case.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

bagoly14 said:
So you are telling me that the ink odor on the cards from Legend era to BW era has changed from ink to blood?

I am telling you I believe they are always tinkering with manufacture. I mean they had reverse foils for a few sets, they have changed the type of foil, added Super rare holos. Of course I believe they changed the ink. The way it smells is a perception based on experience. I have smelled formaldehyde in the workplace, so that is what I think it smells like.

Formaldehyde is an organic compound with the formula CH2O. It is the simplest aldehyde, hence its systematic name methanal. The common name of the substance comes from its similarity and relation to formic acid.
A gas at room temperature, formaldehyde is colorless and has a characteristic pungent, irritating odor. It is an important precursor to many other materials and chemical compounds.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

bagoly14 said:
You just made yourself sound even more pro amiami there lol. I have no problem admitting if I am in the wrong, but I extremely doubt it in this case.

pro amiami. Ha Ha. I am pro cost, but you are casting aspersions on my judgement. Of course I want you to admit you are wrong. Just as I would admit has to be AmiAmi, if you got an order that did not smell and mine did.

bagoly14

omahanime said:
bagoly14 said:
So you are telling me that the ink odor on the cards from Legend era to BW era has changed from ink to blood?

I am telling you I believe they are always tinkering with manufacture. I mean they had reverse foils for a few sets, they have changed the type of foil, added Super rare holos. Of course I believe they changed the ink. The way it smells is a perception based on experience. I have smelled formaldehyde in the workplace, so that is what I think it smells like.

Formaldehyde is an organic compound with the formula CH2O. It is the simplest aldehyde, hence its systematic name methanal. The common name of the substance comes from its similarity and relation to formic acid.
A gas at room temperature, formaldehyde is colorless and has a characteristic pungent, irritating odor. It is an important precursor to many other materials and chemical compounds.

Ok, I can see I am not getting anywhere and you obviously think I am less than average by posting a definition of what Formaldehyde is (PS - I'm a chemical/petroleum engineer, you haven't smelled a bad odor until you have smelled pure petroleum)

As my last post in this thread I will summarize this whole ordeal and what I gained:

1.) My order smells bad. The cardboard box it was shipped in is fine. The wakuwaku sealed set, the starter decks, the spiral force/thunder knuckle promo packs and cards inside the packs all smell like BLOOD.

2.) If cards are sealed, then they should not smell. Therefore it cannot be the cards inside the booster packs taking over the odor of the WHOLE ORDER.

3.) If I am eating a banana, someone might tell me it smells like strawberries or pineapples or dog shit. This while completely absurd can still be valid.

4.) AmiAmi is not to be blamed if the order they sent me smells terrible. It's PTCGO's fault.

5.) I will order again from AmiAmi, I will then post my results again. In mid march.

6.) If there is no odor then my last order did smell. If it smells again then I will purchase the exact same product from another source. If it still smells like blood then I will make sure to clear this all up and you and viper.fox can expect a PM from me.

That is all. Onwards and upwards like Costanza said. No hard feelings no matter how this turns out. :cool:

PS: Wanting me to admit I am wrong is pro amiami, I have every reason to doubt my orders quality and can be in the right.
Distributors can deliver defective/unsatisfactory goods - true story.