AmiAmi Discussion

RE: AmiAmi order and newer japanese cards odor

evilpacman said:
Omahanime, you double posted there!

Yes.

bagoly14 said:
Ok, I can see I am not getting anywhere and you obviously think I am less than average by posting a definition of what Formaldehyde is (PS - I'm a chemical/petroleum engineer, you haven't smelled a bad odor until you have smelled pure petroleum)

I have smelled a waterproofing paint that caused my sinuses to bleed. I have shoveled pig, sheep and cow manure. I have an inkling of bad order. I posted the definition of what Formaldehyde is, because I have no frame of reference of your knowledge base. I'm a chemical/petroleum engineer - then you are quite familiar to the smell. sorry.

bagoly14 said:
1.) My order smells bad. The cardboard box it was shipped in is fine. The wakuwaku sealed set, the starter decks, the spiral force/thunder knuckle promo packs and cards inside the packs all smell like BLOOD.

4.) AmiAmi is not to be blamed if the order they sent me smells terrible. It's PTCGO's fault.

I am saying I do not see how it could be AmiAmi fault with these statements being true. The shipping box would sit in the warehouse a lot longer than the product. It should acquire more of the smell. I placed my order for Shiny Collection. It took a couple of days to secure additional product. They sent me a bill, I paid, they shipped immediately. Product was in their warehouse less than 1 week. But the shipping box could have been in the warehouse for months.

My Shiny Collection cards do have a bit of a weird smell, almost metallic even. It was relatively strong when I opened them, but now I just about have to shove them up my nose to smell it, so no big deal for me. I figure it was probably the ink and whatever coating they used since they have a rather different feel than other cards. Of course, these are the first Japanese cards I've opened in over a decade, so I don't have too much to compare it with!

I asked my wife to smell. She said it smells like a glossy page in a magazine.

RE: AmiAmi order and newer Japanese cards odor

I worked in a printshop for a while, and the smell of Japanese cards reminds me a lot of offset printing smells. I've ordered from AmiAmi and Papermoon on Ebay, and some other places, and I haven't noticed much of a difference. I kind of find the smell comforting. I just got my Shiny Collection boxes this weekend and planned on opening them today. I can give them a good whiff once opened and see if I notice anything odd. (My SC boxes did come from AmiAmi).

As far as your particular issue... that is indeed very odd. I don't really have any ideas on what could have caused something like that. I've smelled some odd smells in the printing business (a burnt sort of smell can be common, along with different paper types having their own scents and some being stronger than others), but nothing quite like blood. If it was something in the printing, you'd think the wrapping wouldn't be the same (though the cardboard packaging could), but if it was from the distribution side, it shouldn't affect the inside cards.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably let the cards air out well and write it off as a fluke. Even if the cause could be pinpointed to a particular source, it can't be a common occurrence, or otherwise Japanese traders would have heard about the issue before.

If the box doesn't stink and the wrapper don't stink but the cards do. Could omahanime's wife be right it is the paper in the cards?

That's as possible an answer as anything else, since if the smell was on the cards only it would definitely be a production issue. Though I'd think ink would be a more common cause for a smell issue than the paper. In this situation, it would also be interesting to know if the smell was more potent on holos, versus full arts, versus U/C cards. But since he said the whole package smelled the same, it's kind of a moot point.

Probably just a bad run of ink.

Shiny Collection and the WakuWaku set were released around the same time so it's plausible.

bagoly14 said:
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question. I recently got some stuff from AmiAmi and it smelled rather...odd. I figured it's just the packaging, but even when I opened my spiral force booster packs the odor was still at large.

The best way to describe it is...it smells like blood. Like dry blood. It's pretty gross...

I just wanted to ask you guys if all the newer japanese cards smell like this or is it AmiAmi merchandise or perhaps an unlucky order? I recently opened a japanese base booster box I bought elsewhere and it had no odor on the cards even though the box did a little.

Any advice? It's my first order from AmiAmi and I am pretty turned off by the whole thing, but I don't know what to do with it...I am definitely cancelling my megalo cannon order if this has happened to others before. I'd rather pay the extra money to have cards that smell like...cards.

I've ordered stuff from AmiAmi several times, and I've never had a problem with the order having any sort of smell. You may have just hit a twinge of bad luck on that one.

This obviously sounds like a one time thing, so a long as the image on the cards aren't ruined, whats there to complain. New shiny cards smell like the blood of my conquered enemies, THATS AWESOME.

Tips for ordering with AmiAmi?

I am ordering from Ami-Ami for the first time. I am buying a Megalo Cannon box, and wondering, the cheapest, most safe way for the box to come? I am getting for birthday, so the wait doesn't matter. Please help!

RE: AmiAmi Question

SAL Airmail if you want cheapest but still safe. It'll take 2-3 weeks, as per standard international post.

The cheapest I can recommend is SAL Small Packet (Registered). You get tracking that way. For my orders, the difference between EMS and SAL Small Packet (Registered) is about $8.

Yeah, I've done SAL shipping since my second order from AmiAmi. It's not any less secure than EMS, just slower, so if speed doesn't matter to you, you might as well go that route.

Thanks for your responses guys! AmiAmi has prices that are great! 5$ for a BOOSTER BOX OF MEGALO CANNON. Too good to be true!

RE: Tips for ordering with AmiAmi?

Salamencetrainer34 said:
Thanks for your responses guys! AmiAmi has prices that are great! 5$ for a BOOSTER BOX OF MEGALO CANNON. Too good to be true!

Is that shipping?

RE: Tips for ordering with AmiAmi?

If it's too good to be true, it probably is. *points finger at Salamencetrainer34*

Back