News America's November Set: 'Crimson Invasion,' Two Ultra Beast Premium Collections!

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
I wish I could say I wanted this set. None of the GX Pokemon I like and the Ultra Beast concept seems forced. You could even consider Deoxys a Ultra Beast. I hope there are some cool Pokemon in it but I really hate it when they force in all of a Pokemon group in a set rather than spreading them out. It's just like with a set having 11 Mewtwo ultra rare cards in it. The fact that we know what GX Pokemon are in the set is sad. With other sets, we know we can look forward to at least four other GX Pokemon. Maybe Zangoose can get that ultra rare it always wanted. Butterfree would be cool too or better yet, Fearow. That Pokemon was in the game too! Now I don't even want the set.
I don't think our opinions could be more different! :) I love the UBs; Buzzwole and Xurkitree in particular are now two of my favorite Pokémon -- and so is Silvally!

I stopped actively playing a while ago, and when I collect, I usually only collect normal versions of Pokémon -- so, like ex, Lv. X, Prime, EX, Break, etc before them, I'm just not interested in GX cards. That being said, even if they're only present in the set as GX cards, I'm glad they're releasing all of the Ultra Beasts in one fell swoop rather than spreading them out. It reminds me more of the early days of the TCG.

Releasing the whole bunch also makes sense when looking at prior generations, where it has traditionally taken only 3-4 sets for each new Pokémon to debut in the TCG (barring some Mythicals, of course).

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I don't think our opinions could be more different! :) I love the UBs; Buzzwole and Xurkitree in particular are now two of my favorite Pokémon -- and so is Silvally!

I stopped actively playing a while ago, and when I collect, I usually only collect normal versions of Pokémon -- so, like ex, Lv. X, Prime, EX, Break, etc before them, I'm just not interested in GX cards. That being said, even if they're only present in the set as GX cards, I'm glad they're releasing all of the Ultra Beasts in one fell swoop rather than spreading them out. It reminds me more of the early days of the TCG.

Releasing the whole bunch also makes sense when looking at prior generations, where it has traditionally taken only 3-4 sets for each new Pokémon to debut in the TCG (barring some Mythicals, of course).

That's fine. I guess someone has to love them. I just never cared to obtain Legendary Pokemon in the games (mainly because you can use most of them in competitive) so I never cared for most of them in the card game but the Ultra Beast, their designs just aren't good to me. They don't feel like Pokemon, rather rejected things that could have been that made it into the game. The reason I don't want to see them all in one set is so other Pokemon can get a time to shine too because this means in future sets, these same Pokemon could be taking up more ultra rare slots. It also means they don't have to figure out what to make them all do at the same time. It's like getting two Mega Evolved Pokemon in every set (though this backfired), it gives people something to look forward to. They release two or three now, and two or three later, see how the meta evolves and release them accordingly.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
They were really cute with their gx placement in the promo product, based on Celeste ela and xurkitree's separate simultaneous popularity.

I hope this mechanic explores neat design space and not just bigger, shinier, faster, stronger cards.

Cottonmouth25

Flying-type Enthusiast
Yes, I've been looking forward to seeing the UBs! Hopefully they're as powerful as they are in the games. :p

Lostlorn Forest

Alola is the best region
Finally, a set I can gladly stick out! Ultra Beasts were a poorly executed concept and I'm happy to save a few extra bucks for the holidays. That'll leave room for me to collect the other three as well. I'll probably be tempted by the FA supporters though.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
That's fine. I guess someone has to love them. I just never cared to obtain Legendary Pokemon in the games (mainly because you can use most of them in competitive) so I never cared for most of them in the card game but the Ultra Beast, their designs just aren't good to me. They don't feel like Pokemon, rather rejected things that could have been that made it into the game. The reason I don't want to see them all in one set is so other Pokemon can get a time to shine too because this means in future sets, these same Pokemon could be taking up more ultra rare slots. It also means they don't have to figure out what to make them all do at the same time. It's like getting two Mega Evolved Pokemon in every set (though this backfired), it gives people something to look forward to. They release two or three now, and two or three later, see how the meta evolves and release them accordingly.

But I, too, like the ultra beasts! They look like they were carefully designed fit a very neat concept in Pokemon: Extradimensional (as opposed to extraterrestrial) creatures whose standards and power challange that of the human world. There's so many crazy things about their designs and symbolism that just make them stand well on their own.

Like:

A hyper-aesthetic cockroach
A super muscular mosquito
An industrialized flying bamboo shoot
A living origami shuriken weapon
An anthropomorphic black hole
An instinct-driven, girlish giant parasite
An electric-feeding tree with a cool bishie boy facade (My favorite of their designs!)

(Did you know their base stats are prime numbers?)

So they don't look like 'Pokemon' as we know it... But that's the whole point! I hope they make more of them in the next game. ^_^

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
I don't like the idea of having a set where the people that don't like UB's have no GX's to look forward to, but that special energy announcement looks exciting.

JBlade3

Dark Pokemon Master
Actually, they said that buzzwole, pheromosa, celesteela, and xircitree are in the promo boxes. Meaning we have unofficial confirmation that one of the Gxs in the set will be Kartana.

Yveltalplayer

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think they will,but possibly they will have some attacks/abilities based on having different ultra beasts.
I really hope they reprint dark patch in this set,since I play Yveltal EX

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Actually, they said that buzzwole, pheromosa, celesteela, and xircitree are in the promo boxes. Meaning we have unofficial confirmation that one of the Gxs in the set will be Kartana.
They could pull a GRI on us :/

Spring Sun Warrior

Aspiring Trainer
That playmat looks awesome.
oh is the 2nd pic the playmat? It looks so sick!:eek::eek::eek:

also stoked to see if the special energy is UB energy, like plasma. i really liked plasma cards and the energy itself just looked cool, special energies are some of my favorite cards so i always like it when new niche ones come out

Gen Cario

Aspiring Trainer
This set should be ten times better than burning shadows and should give us plenty of base gx pokemon to work with several different types to incorporate into an existing decks. And by then will have a new standard format anyways which will be nice. Can't wait for this set.
July 21th will change everything for this format! Can't wait!

ShoeApocolypse

Aspiring Trainer
So I figured something out, and I don't think anybody has said anything about this yet. Notice how the collections have the moon exclusive ultra beasts (Celesteela and Pheromosa) as promos, but the other collection has Buzzwole and Xurkitree, even though Kartana is the other Sun exclusive UB. This means that Kartana is another "money-card" (similar to Tapu Lele and Shaymin), and won't get a promo print as it will devalue the card. Any thoughts on this?