BW/BW2 Am I only person that doesn't care about EV/IV's?

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
RE: Am I only person that doesn't care of all this fancy EV/IV stuff?

King Arceus said:
xxashxx said:
Guys you might think we are crazy but honestly the EV training mechanics of the game is ridiculously irritating and annoy. I back him on this because he's right. For most of you guys you have a lot of spare time to EV train which takes hours on end to do. Those like him and I for that matter really don't see the point because for us it is a complete waste of time so we don't do it. That or we don't have that much time to do the heavy training because it takes a lot of time which most of us don't have. You guys have all the time in the world because you are still young and growing. The rest of us have other things to do so we don't have time to EV train. If we don't understand something or don't have time for it we trade for iy after we get our Pokemon cloned. That is a whole lot faster than spending hours on end EV training. I'd rather trade for something that someone else with the knowledge of EV training has than spending that time. It is much faster that way or he can do like I did and turn to event trading. That is more fun than EV training XD.:)

I have a full-time job and still have the time to EV Pokemon when I need them for a tournament. Not to mention all the work I do here. It doesn't take that long. If you have the power items you can get one Pokemon done in maybe half an hour or so.

I am usually pretty busy though XD. It is faster for me to just trade for them if I want them XD. Thanks though.:)

Amphy23

Aspiring Trainer

I don't really care for them in-game. I'm too lazy and also too nice to train my cute Abra into the perfect killing machine. Besides, it's not like I'm going to lose every battle in-game if I have only 50 EVs in Sp. Attack for my Alakazam.
It however, is satisfying to deliberate on PO for 3 seconds to see which stats I should invest in. Now I feel so smart!
The only thing I don't like about EVs/IVs is how finicky the competitive community are with them.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.
Re: RE: Am I only person that doesn't care of all this fancy EV/IV stuff?

Amphy23 said:
I don't really care for them in-game. I'm too lazy and also too nice to train my cute Abra into the perfect killing machine. Besides, it's not like I'm going to lose every battle in-game if I have only 50 EVs in Sp. Attack for my Alakazam.
It however, is satisfying to deliberate on PO for 3 seconds to see which stats I should invest in. Now I feel so smart!
The only thing I don't like about EVs/IVs is how finicky the competitive community are with them.

There is a REASON we are "finicky" with them! You don't need 168 EVs in defense on an Alakazam, it is going to die to any physical hit anyway. In short, you want to specialize IVs and EVs to complement the base stats of the pokemon. If you have bad IVs and EVs on your pokes, you are going to lose EVERY SINGLE COMPETITIVE BATTLE. It is part of the learning curve; being able to IV and EV well will net you decent chances against people who have been playing longer than you, while putting 252 into HP and DEF in your alakazam will ensure that that alakazam is completely useless, and your team will be worse for it.

Amphy23

Aspiring Trainer

That's not finicky, that's common sense. By finicky I mean I usually place 255/255 EVs instead of 252/252/4 for convenience. Then the elitists give my team a -1000/10 for not using every single EV to the maximum extent.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.
Re: RE: Am I only person that doesn't care of all this fancy EV/IV stuff?

Amphy23 said:
That's not finicky, that's common sense. By finicky I mean I usually place 255/255 EVs instead of 252/252/4 for convenience. Then the elitists give my team a -1000/10 for not using every single EV to the maximum extent.

You definetly need to use every EV to the maximum value, though. It can save you in some situations.

Slowbro

Aspiring Trainer

Amphy23 said:
If you truly want your team to be good, and be able to compete with the "elitists," you need to use every EV, rather than save all of 2 seconds.

Chariblaze

When you add it all up...

This thread has received criticism from some. I still defend this thread for what it is, but please, keep things down; don't get too fired up, and respect others' opnions. We'll lock this if need be. :)

Wes1234

Local Eevee/Eeveelution Addict lawl

I can easily see both sides of this.

Basically, if you have read up on EVs/IVs, chances are you're competitive to some degree. I consider myself casual competitive since I like to use personal favorite pokemon over pokemon that might be superior for the same role. If you don't know about EVs/IVs, you're either a casual player, or you're new to the competitive team. The leap from casual to competitive is quite large and usually not worth it unless you're seeking to bring out the most out of your pokemon/team.

I don't have a problem with either side. What I DO have a problem with, however, is how "secretive" the mechanics are in the game. The only reason we even know they exist is because hackers found the coding in the games a long time ago. When a game doesn't actually SHOW you hidden mechanics like this and force you to use online resources to even tap into such potential, you know the game makers intentionally make it a big secret, which is stupid and pointless. I reallyhope Gamefreak fixes this in Gen 6. It's an unecessary barrier that detours the majority of casual players from ever even considering stepping foot into the competitive realm. It's very frustrating when you know everything about EVs/IVs, yet all of your friends don't know what they are and refuse to learn about it because they have to read stuff online about these hidden mechanics. Then you go have random matches on WiFi and people disconnect on you when they're losing because they care so much about a "flawless record" or high rank (granted, there will always be people like that). Now, don't misunderstand me and think that I'm calling all casual players lazy. I just feel that Gamefreak could do better and NOT hide important mechanics and numbers in the games. What I would give to be able to look at a stat screen that lays out what their EVs, IVs, and Hidden Power power and type are, rather than be forced use online calculators and keep notes on your computer about yours pokemon's EV/IV distrubution.

Anyways, didn't mean to go on a rant like that, but I feel pretty strongly about it. I feel that the whole hidden mechanics thing is just really unecessary and promotes tension in the Pokemon video gaming community, especially for little kids that WANT to be competitive, yet are told that they don't stand a chance because their Chaizard and other pokemon are a big wrong nature/EV'd mess thanks to mechanics they cannot see.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus

Wes1234 said:
I can easily see both sides of this.

Basically, if you have read up on EVs/IVs, chances are you're competitive to some degree. I consider myself casual competitive since I like to use personal favorite pokemon over pokemon that might be superior for the same role. If you don't know about EVs/IVs, you're either a casual player, or you're new to the competitive team. The leap from casual to competitive is quite large and usually not worth it unless you're seeking to bring out the most out of your pokemon/team.

I don't have a problem with either side. What I DO have a problem with, however, is how "secretive" the mechanics are in the game. The only reason we even know they exist is because hackers found the coding in the games a long time ago. When a game doesn't actually SHOW you hidden mechanics like this and force you to use online resources to even tap into such potential, you know the game makers intentionally make it a big secret, which is stupid and pointless. I reallyhope Gamefreak fixes this in Gen 6. It's an unecessary barrier that detours the majority of casual players from ever even considering stepping foot into the competitive realm. It's very frustrating when you know everything about EVs/IVs, yet all of your friends don't know what they are and refuse to learn about it because they have to read stuff online about these hidden mechanics. Then you go have random matches on WiFi and people disconnect on you when they're losing because they care so much about a "flawless record" or high rank (granted, there will always be people like that). Now, don't misunderstand me and think that I'm calling all casual players lazy. I just feel that Gamefreak could do better and NOT hide important mechanics and numbers in the games. What I would give to be able to look at a stat screen that lays out what their EVs, IVs, and Hidden Power power and type are, rather than be forced use online calculators and keep notes on your computer about yours pokemon's EV/IV distrubution.

Anyways, didn't mean to go on a rant like that, but I feel pretty strongly about it. I feel that the whole hidden mechanics thing is just really unecessary and promotes tension in the Pokemon video gaming community, especially for little kids that WANT to be competitive, yet are told that they don't stand a chance because their Chaizard and other pokemon are a big wrong nature/EV'd mess thanks to mechanics they cannot see.
I agree, I think that it would make things much simpler for people who want to get into competitive battling but don't want to worry about counting stats and the like. Game Freak included the term "shiny" in the Gen 5 games, and I hope that they'll begin acknowledging more of these well known but never fully official mechanics of the games.

Frezgle

Winged Death

I remember EVs having a page about them in a B/W strategy guide. The PokeDex book, maybe? Not sure. Either way, they're getting there, but they're taking baby steps.

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid

Let me state it this way, since I'm not sure it's clear in the previous expositions: For in-game teams, IVs and EVs (and most natures) don't matter in the slightest. The NPC teams (and those of casual battlers who don't know of competitive matters) just slap a team together with just a theme and no over-arcing strategy. Nearly any pokemon can defeat these teams if its level is high enough and you have halfway-decent attack choices (even type often won't matter). In the Competitive metagame, EVs take the largest role. A pokemon will no EVs will not be able to handle any of it's counters (or even many of the pokemon it normally counters) due to insufficient speed, power, or bulk. IVs are not as important, even in competition as they only determin Hidden Power's type and power as well as breaking a few speed ties. Natures are somewhere in between. With the proper nature aiding your EV spread, you can bring out the best in your pokemon's stats, but +/-10% of a stat is still +/-10% of a stat. Competitive players wil fret about a bad nature because there are those out there that know how to legitimately get pokemon that are perfect for the role they need, and would potentially mop the floor with their "imperfect" pokemon. For the less-than-serious competitive player (there's nothing wrong with being in this group. it just means you don't panic as much over 'bad' natures or imperfect IVs), more "random" pokemon will suffice and rightly so since there's not that much of a stat drop.

No one is forcing you to care about all these game mechanics, but looking into them can help you increase chance of winning a given battle, to some extent. Not caring does not equivocate to ignorance or lower intelligence by any means. It just means you'd rather figure things out on your own as you play. There's nothing wrong with either side except the way one side might treat the other over this issue.

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer

I don't care about EVs and IVs when I play the "campaign". It is very important when I play competitive though.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer

What I'll tell you is ignorance is a bliss...
Before I knew about that I didn't care that my Giratina caught in Platinum has a Rash Nature but only 1 IV in Sp. Atk... After I found that, while I still like my Giratina, I always think of it as weak because of that...
Before, I used to play the games without caring about that, and I was happy... After knowing about EV, IVs, natures and all the things they affect, now I only "like" to (it's more like "I need to") catch pokémon with good natures, and if they are pokémon I'm going to use on my in-game team, then I don't rest until I get one with good IVs... The ridiculous about this is that I go through all that stress and it's only for in-game purposes, I don't even play competitively!
I went to the point of altering the Rayquaza I caught in Emerald because it had a high IV in Attack but its nature was Calm! I didn't resist and changed it to Naughty (the exact opposite) because of how unfair I thought it was... But now I don't like to look at my Rayquaza because I know I cheated and feel guilty, even if it was just that small detail (the nature)...
I wish I'd never knew about EVs, IVs and all that stuff...

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member

Yes.

I can't escape from nature/IV breeding and EV training stuff anymore. It's like a curse.

Chariblaze

When you add it all up...

DNA said:
Yes.

I can't escape from nature/IV breeding and EV training stuff anymore. It's like a curse.

I haven't caught a single unforced legend since Platinum because of IVs/RNG. :S

iSharingan

Chariblaze said:
DNA said:
Yes.

I haven't caught a single unforced legend since Platinum because of IVs/RNG. :S
Same here, but from 3rd gen on except for those I RNGed for other people (I used to run a shop for RNGed mons)

Lemonguy

Aspiring Trainer

DNA said:
Yes.

Definitely. I had taken a break after Diamond, and when I got back into Pokemon with White, and I learned about EVs/IVs and RNG'ing, it has destroyed my perspective on Pokemon.

No longer do I think my starter will beat every Pokemon because its been with me for the entire journey, but now after I beat the E4, my team is just a pathetic waste of space because they have no real sense of power. It doesn't help that you need to RNG to get perfect IV's (for flawless Pokemon anyway), and the RNG method has yet to sink in, so it is a little confusing.

I have an amazing team that I want to create with my favourite Pokemon, but I don't want to make it unless I can get them with flawless IV's so I can EV train them. But on the other hand, I feel awesome when I did RNG some, they are as strong as they can get. Maximum potential and all that.

Trainerhan1

Chooses to not abandon his wagon.

Lemonguy said:
No longer do I think my starter will beat every Pokemon because its been with me for the entire journey, but now after I beat the E4, my team is just a pathetic waste of space because they have no real sense of power.

How does your starter not beat all pokemon in game, pre and post E4? I have singled the elite 4 multiple times in Black with just Samurott.

iSharingan

Trainerhan1 said:
Lemonguy said:
No longer do I think my starter will beat every Pokemon because its been with me for the entire journey, but now after I beat the E4, my team is just a pathetic waste of space because they have no real sense of power.

How does your starter not beat all pokemon in game, pre and post E4? I have singled the elite 4 multiple times in Black with just Samurott.
Frankly, the ingame teams are not that hard to beat unless you have literally no idea what to do. Almost any pokemon team can win with all-attacks movesets as long the pokemon have significantly higher levels and the moves aren't completely blocked by an immunity. Type effectiveness plays a decent role, but if you chose powerful attacks with minimal drawbacks, only hax (paralysis activating repeatedly, extended sleep or freeze duration, excessive critical hits, etc.) will consitantly cause losses. In gen 5, the pokemon actually have decent level-up move pools so it's actually easier to beat everything with just a few pokemon (I personally solo-ed everything bar Shauntal with just a lilipup/stoutland I caught at the begining of the game and taught a couple of TMs to. For Shauntaul I just needed to Rarecandy a Gollet to level 40 and evolve it for use in battle [it was my Fly user as Golurk]. After beating Iris, my Stoutland was level 84 and the golurk was level 42. My starter remained completely untrained the entire game. I purposely lost to my rival in the first battle so I wouldn't gain EVs or exp, caught the lilipup, then boxed the starter thinking it would give me more of a challenge)

Metalizard said:

It isn't for me. It's not like I'm going to use the Pokemon I use in the main game in a competitive battle, so why would I care that my Jolly Flygon has 120 EVs in Special Attack?