[Alternate Format] Complete Palace

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Greetings everyone!

1. Introduction

I've decided to create a new Palace format banlist containing all current, and some older cards. As you know, Palace was created in Japan in order to use favourite DPP cards after the BW rotated all older cards. As they really enjoyed this format, they decided to include them with a twist: some of the broken/overpowered cards were restricted, or even banned.

I always prefered alternate formats, as I really hate when my favourite concepts gets rotated, even if they aren't so broken. Currently, only ex-Series onwards are allowed, but I'm going to add older cards too. With the release of the April list, we will support ALL sets, even cards from Base/Gym/Neo sets!

Feel free to support this "Complete Palace" format by helping to create a list which pleases almost everyone, and feel free to share your thoughts, Decks, anything else here.

2. The Basic Rules

The Complete Palace is an alternate format, which means you can use all cards from the Classic (Base/Gym/Neo), E-card, ex, DPP, HGSS sets and even the latest BW/XY cards too. In order to support creative Deck building and create a varied metagame, however, some cards must be restricted because of how they work, especially because the new BW rules applied here too. (And don't forget that all cards are also errata'd to its latest reprint. Like Rare Candy or Computer Search.)

To solve the problem of Unlimited Nightmare decks (especially Donks), overpowered cards have a number of stars. It is important, because your Deck cannot contain more than 4 stars. The deck is illegal, if you're running over 4 stars. Even most staples will have a star, which will make Deck building a hard choice: will you add important trainers and you'll try to use obscure Pokémon, or in contrary, you will use the best Pocket Monsters with underestimated Trainers?

However, there are some modified rulings too, and one of the most important is that some cards are treated as ex Pokémon, which means that their name contain the tag "ex" (so it cannot evolve, nor have a LV.X card), and also that your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards when it's Knocked Out.

Oh, and one thing: cards with identical effects are treated as the same. (Like Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper.) Cards with similar effects however, are different and you can use them in the same deck (like Blastoise and Feraligatr Prime)

3. Advanced Rules

However, we have some new rulings we made in order to make the game more different and more fun to play. Here they are:

• You can only use 1 LV.X card per Deck
  • The exact name of a Pokémon doesn't matter in case of evolving. Pokémon SP are exception of this rule. (The following evolution line is legal: Charmander -> Blaine's Charmeleon -> Dark Charizard.)
  • Delta Species are treated as if they had different names (You can use 4 Bellossom and 4 Bellossom Delta in the same Deck.)
  • Pokémon VS cards are allowed, and they are treated as Pokémon SP. Trainers are also allowed from that set.
  • Any cards mentioning "Trainer" cards only works for Items, won't work for Stadiums and Supporters.

4. Hall of Fame

Here, you can find all the restrictions for the Complete Palace format. You can check out old and new lists too. Let's see those cards!

April, 2014 List

March, 2014 List

April, 2014 List

The format is now supporting ALL sets!!!

NEW RULINGS
  • 1 LV.X Card per Deck
  • The exact name of a Pokémon doesn't matter in case of evolving. Pokémon SP are exception of this rule. (The following evolution line is legal: Charmander -> Blaine's Charmeleon -> Dark Charizard.)
  • Delta Species are treated as if they had different names (You can use 4 Bellossom and 4 Bellossom Delta in the same Deck.)
  • Pokémon VS cards are allowed, and they are treated as Pokémon SP. Trainers are also allowed from that set.
  • Any cards mentioning "Trainer" cards only works for Items, won't work for Stadiums and Supporters.

1 Star

• Holon's Castform
  • Unown R (LA)
  • Unown Z (SW)
  • Crobat G (PL)
  • Pachirisu (GE)
  • Feraligatr Prime
  • Emboar (BW 20) (Inferno Fandango)
  • Machamp (SF)
  • Blastoise (Base, BC) (New)
  • Alakazam (Base) (New)
  • Arceus (Colorless / AR5) (New)
  • Donphan Prime (New)
  • Crobat Prime (New)
  • Kingdra Prime (New)
  • Reuniclus (BW) (New)
  • Holon Transceiver
  • Cyrus's Conspiracy
  • Pokédrawer +
  • Seeker
  • Pokémon Collector
  • Hypnotoxic Laser
  • Virbank City Gym (New)
  • Eviolite (2 Stars -> 1 Star)
  • Hard Charm (New)
  • Darkness Energy (Special)
  • Metal Energy (Special)
  • Double Rainbow Energy (New)

2 Stars

• Claydol (GE)
  • Azelf (LA)
  • Cleffa (NG) (New)
  • Sableye (DEX) (New)
  • Magnezone Prime (New)
  • Accelgor (DEX) (New)
  • Uxie (LA) (3 Stars -> 2 Stars)
  • Cessation Crystal
  • Luxury Ball
  • Junk Arm
  • Lost World
  • Broken Time-Space (3 Stars -> 2 Stars)
  • Dawn Stadium (3 Stars -> 2 Stars)
  • Holon Circle (3 Stars -> 2 Stars)
  • Boost Energy
  • Scramble Energy (New)

Banned
  • Sableye (SF) (New)
  • BW-on EXs and M-EXs
  • Promo/Jumbo Cards
  • ALL Trainers from sets released by Wizards of the Coast (Base, Jungle, Fossil, Base Set 2, Team Rocket, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge, Neo Genesis, Neo Discovery, Neo Revelation, Neo Destiny, Legendary Collection)

The following Pokémon are treated as ex (You take 2 Prize Cards if you Knock Out an ex Pokémon. All effects which affect Pokémon ex cards will affect these cards too. Their name is ALSO changed so they do not work with LV. X cards.)

• Virizion (EP, NV)
  • Terrakion (EP, NV)
  • Cobalion (EP, NV)
  • Thundurus (EP)
  • Tornadus (EP)
  • Landorus (NV)
  • Articuno (ND)
  • Zapdos (ND)
  • Moltres (ND)
  • Reshiram (BW, PF)
  • Zekrom (BW, PF)
  • Kyurem (NV, DV, PF)
  • Black Kyurem
  • White Kyurem
  • Keldeo (BC) - both
  • Genesect (PL)
  • Yveltal (XY)
  • Xerneas (XY)
  • Mewtwo (LT)
  • Ampharos Prime (New)
  • Typhlosion Prime (New)
  • Tyranitar Prime (New)
  • Machamp Prime (New)
  • Raichu Prime (New)
  • Kingdra (PF) (New)
  • Vileplume UD (New)
  • Garchomp (DE 90) (Dragonblade) (New)
  • Trevenant (XY) (New)
  • Bouffalant (DE) (New)
  • Lapras (XY) (New)

No longer on the list

• Evosoda
  • Spiritomb (AR)

Erratas

• Slowking (NG): Pokémon Power works only if it's the Active Pokémon, but works for Items, Supporters and Stadiums.
  • Mysterious Fossil: Can evolve into ANY Fossil and Restored Pokémon.
  • Holon Fossil: Can search ANY Fossil and Restored Pokémon.
  • Fossil Excavator: Works for Restored Pokémon (and Trainer cards too).
  • Fossil Egg: Works for any Fossil and Restored Pokémon.

5. F.A.Q.

This will be the collection of the frequently asked questions about rulings and so on. It is work in progress.

Q: If I run 4 Hypnotoxic Laser, is that counted as 1 star or 4 stars?
A: It is counted as 4 starts. 1 Hypnotoxic Laser is 1 star, and since you're running 4 copies, all of them must be counted. (1+1+1+1 = 4 Stars). The same applies, for example, if you run 2 Claydols: then you used all of your stars, and you cannot use another "star cards" in the Deck.

Q: How can I play Complete Palace online?
A: [smod]Drohn[/smod] gave us a nice method where we can play each other online. Let me quote the instructions written by Scorched Feather.

Scorched Feather said:
Guys, I've found a way to play our decks! Trade Cards Online might be a little clunky, but it supports all sets! It may be quite manual, but it still means that we can play. To build a deck, first, you must make an account. Then, on the left hand side of the page, go to Playing -> Decks, and select "Pokémon". Select "Build your own Deck". Give it a name, click "Update", and you'll be able to select cards with "Quick Add", typing in the names and selecting the ones you want. If you can't find a card, use the card search engine! Remember to put the cards in the right section! After you finish, you just click "Publish". When you've got your deck, arrange a game here, then click "Online Games", and again choose Pokémon. Choose your deck. You'll have to log in again, but then you just wait for a table to come up, and challenge your opponent! The interface might take a little getting used to, but you flip cards by double clicking, I believe, and the majority of it is Drag and Drop!

Q: How do card effects which mention BW-onwards EXs work?
A: Cards which mention EX will effect ex-Series ex Pokémon cards. It means that Sigilyph cannot be damaged by Rocket's Mewtwo ex (or any other "new ex"s created by our list).

Q: Can I use Wally's Training in my first turn or in a Pokémon which was played/evolved in this turn?
A: Short answer: yes. For longer explanation, check out this thread. HOWEVER, you cannot do the same with Rare Candy, as it was errata'd and has new rulings since BW-sets.

Q: How do Ability, Poké-Body and Poké-Power work? Which cards affect them?
A: We made a change for Complete Palace format to make things more simple: Poké-Body and Poké-Power are sub-categories of Ability. Which means, if a card affects Ability, it also affects Pokémon with Poké-Body or Poké-Power. If a card affects Poké-Body, then it also affects Abilities which NOT REQUIRE activation (in other words: they are automatic). If a card affects Poké-Power, then it also affects Abilities which REQUIRE activation (in other words: they are manual).

Ability is the same thing as Pokémon Power (from Base and Neo sets).

6. Identical Cards

W.I.P.

• Rocket's Admin = N
  • Professor Juniper = Professor Sycamore
  • Tierno = Cheren
7. Support

That's right! Complete Palace needs YOUR support! If you want to help expanding or balancing the current Star list, or want to offer your help by sharing your deck concepts, thoughts, or even you want to promote this format, feel free to do! Complete Palace is an open project, which means that it's for you! The more people contributing, the better will be the experience and gameplay of this format.

8. Decks

Here you can find the Decks made by the format's supporters. Thank you for sharing them! Click on the text to access the post.

Scorched Feather's Decks
Sheodon's Decks
LunarWolf21's Decks

Ninjask variant by AlexanderTheAwesome
Danger! High Voltage - Raichu Prime LV.X by Luispipe8
9tales.dek - Multi-Ninetales Variant by Scorched Feathers

9. Epilogue

Thank you for reading this post. As a close, I want to tell you that if people are interested in this format, I'd gladly be work with the others to update and work on this list, so more player would decide which is going to be on the list, and it would be revised for several periods, especially after new cards are released or if there was a rotation in the normal format. So, if you like this format, feel free to comment and share your ideas!

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Question for your FAQ:
If I run 4 Hypnotoxic Laser, is that counted as 1 star or 4 stars?

Thanks! Added to the FAQ section.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
What about creating Decklists? Shall we post them here? This seems very interesting, in my opinion
Nevermind about the decks, I'll work on something :3

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Scorched Feathers said:
What about creating Decklists? Shall we post them here? This seems very interesting, in my opinion
Nevermind about the decks, I'll work on something :3

I will contact the Pokébeach Staff about it. In my opinion, if the format becomes popular enough to be supported by Pokébeach Community, then we could create them in the Deck Section. Until that, I think we can post decks and ideas here too.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Oh, I love how I find ideas in the EX Series.
It would be useful if there was a list of decent supporters here, though. I have limited knowledge of what was good in EX/DP era.

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Scorched Feathers said:
Oh, I love how I find ideas in the EX Series.
It would be useful if there was a list of decent supporters here, though. I have limited knowledge of what was good in EX/DP era.

I will gladly help, just tell me what kind of Deck do you want to build.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I'm working on it now, but it involves these two cards:
Ninjask
Shedinja
The premise of the deck is that the only things able to counter it are Pokémon Lv.X, as well as M Pokémon-EX. I will be using these two in conjunction with some sort of attack that switches the attacker out, and brings in either Shedinja or Ninjask, depending on the matchup. I may be able to fit in a Garbodor line to stop any Abilities, too. I will be running a number of Float Stone, too. Any ideas for the Switch-on-Attack Pokémon and the Supporter lineup?
Also, add Gust of Wind to that list, since it doesn't match Catcher anymore.

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Scorched Feathers said:
Well, I'm working on it now, but it involves these two cards:
Ninjask
Shedinja
The premise of the deck is that the only things able to counter it are Pokémon Lv.X, as well as M Pokémon-EX. I will be using these two in conjunction with some sort of attack that switches the attacker out, and brings in either Shedinja or Ninjask, depending on the matchup. I may be able to fit in a Garbodor line to stop any Abilities, too. I will be running a number of Float Stone, too. Any ideas for the Switch-on-Attack Pokémon and the Supporter lineup?
Also, add Gust of Wind to that list, since it doesn't match Catcher anymore.

Yup, you're right. Removed Catcher from the list, as it's different from Gust of Wind now.

For your deck, I'd definitely use Donk techs, the ones which are allowed. Seeker itself is NOT needed, as what you want to donk is your main. Add Switch, Warp Point, Mr. Briney's Compassion, and even Unown Q for Shedinja. Your best drawpower will be Mary's Request, as it's supports your concept. For Pokémon, I'd run Shuppet for the support (from Platinum). 30 Psychic damage + Returning to your hand is what you exactly need.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Great! Those suggestions helped alot! I'm also running Level Ball, as it searches everything I need in the deck. Mary's Request doesn't seem like the best Draw card I've ever seen; what are it's perks? I'll post a skeleton soon.
Pokemon

Trainers
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 4 Mr. Briney's Compassion
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 4 Switch
  • 4 Warp Point

Energy
  • 6 Psychic
  • 4 Blend GRPD

Total: 50
There you go. I have space for 10 cards. What should they be?

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Scorched Feathers said:
Great! Those suggestions helped alot! I'm also running Level Ball, as it searches everything I need in the deck. Mary's Request doesn't seem like the best Draw card I've ever seen; what are it's perks? I'll post a skeleton soon.
Pokemon

Trainers
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 4 Switch
  • 4 Warp Point

Energy
  • 6 Psychic
  • 4 Blend GRPD

I like to use Mary's Request, as it gives you +3 new cards in decks without Stage 2 evolutions. And sometimes that stable +3 is more appreciated than a +5 or 6 when you need to discard your hand, or shuffle it back, and so on. But I can understand why you don't want to use it, as Cheren now does it without any perks.

For your deck, I'd definitely add +4 Wally's Training, as it's a rapid evolution method. Also add 1 or 2 Scott, as it will give you a lots of Supporters, and you will need it. Definitely add Miasma Valley to your Deck! It works really well with your strategy. You can also tech 1 Cynthia's Feelings in your Deck if Shedinja (or one of your basics) gets knocked out. I'd also add 1 Windstorm, as it's really effective against annoying Tools and Stadiums. Also add something to recycle energies (if you want to use Suppoter, then Flower Shop Girl, if not, then Night Maintenance). For your star cards, I'd add 2 Junk Arms, as you're really based on your Trainer cards. You can also try out Super Scoop Up, but in my opinion, it's risky.

This deck, by the way, has a huge potential, as it only has two treats: LV.X deck and aggro decks like haymaker. (BW/XY EXs and M-EXs are banned, so they won't hurt it.)

Oh, and you actually have 52 cards.

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
I made a version of that, tell me what you guys think!
Pokemon - 18
3x Nincada ex-Dragon 67
3x Ninjask ex-Deoxys 13
3x Archen Plasma Blast 53
3x Archeops Dark Explorers
2x Baltoy Plasma
2x Claydol GE (4 Points)
1x Jirachi HS Unleashed
1x Rotom HS Undaunted 20

Draw/Supporters - 18
3x Bicycle
4x N
4x Felecity's Drawing
3x Prof. Juniper
3x Holon Mentor
1x Mr. Briney's Compassion

Items - 15
4x Plume Fossil
4x Ultra Ball
3x Muscle Band
2x Level Ball
2x Tool Scrapper
1x Super Rod
2x Twist Mountain

Energy - 6
6x Psychic Energy

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Pokemon - 18
3x Nincada ex-Dragon 67
3x Ninjask ex-Deoxys 13
2x Voltorb
2x Electrode PLF (Claydol is too many points)
1x Jirachi HS Unleashed
1x Rotom HS Undaunted 20

Draw/Supporters - 18
4x Bicycle
4x N
4x Felecity's Drawing
3x Victory Medal
2x Pokemon Collector (2 Stars)

Items - 17
4x Plume Fossil
4x Ultra Ball
3x Muscle Band
2x Level Ball
2x Tool Scrapper
2x EvoSoda (2 Stars)
1x Super Rod

Energy
6x Psychic Energy

Remove Victory Medal, as it's a promo card, which are not allowed. Except that, I really like it. But may I ask why did you remove Shedinja?

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
Sheodon said:
Pokemon - 18
3x Nincada ex-Dragon 67
3x Ninjask ex-Deoxys 13
2x Voltorb
2x Electrode PLF (Claydol is too many points)
1x Jirachi HS Unleashed
1x Rotom HS Undaunted 20

Draw/Supporters - 18
4x Bicycle
4x N
4x Felecity's Drawing
3x Victory Medal
2x Pokemon Collector (2 Stars)

Items - 17
4x Plume Fossil
4x Ultra Ball
3x Muscle Band
2x Level Ball
2x Tool Scrapper
2x EvoSoda (2 Stars)
1x Super Rod

Energy
6x Psychic Energy

Remove Victory Medal, as it's a promo card, which are not allowed. Except that, I really like it. But may I ask why did you remove Shedinja?

Because once you get archeops set up, all you have to do is time hollow all their stage 1s or stage 2s back into basics and Ninjask walls while doing 50 damage each turn

Didn't know Promos were banned :p what would you recommend, i'm out of points (would've loved to use that Claydol lol).

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Sheodon said:

Because once you get archeops set up, all you have to do is time hollow all their stage 1s or stage 2s back into basics and Ninjask walls while doing 50 damage each turn

Didn't know Promos were banned :p what would you recommend, i'm out of points (would've loved to use that Claydol lol).

Ah, I see now. Also, I'd add Volkner's Philosophy or simply Professor Juniper. Or my another idea is that you drop Pokémon Collector for Holon Mentor, then you have the points for Claydol. ;) (And change Evosoda to Wally's Training)

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
Sheodon said:

Ah, I see now. Also, I'd add Volkner's Philosophy or simply Professor Juniper. Or my another idea is that you drop Pokémon Collector for Holon Mentor, then you have the points for Claydol. ;) (And change Evosoda to Wally's Training)

Edited the list, tell me what ya think

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Pokemon - 18
3x Nincada ex-Dragon 67
3x Ninjask ex-Deoxys 13
2x Baltoy Plasma
2x Claydol GE (4 Points)
1x Jirachi HS Unleashed
1x Rotom HS Undaunted 20

Draw/Supporters - 18
3x Bicycle
4x N
4x Felecity's Drawing
3x Prof. Juniper
3x Holon Mentor

Items - 15
4x Plume Fossil
4x Ultra Ball
3x Muscle Band
2x Level Ball
2x Tool Scrapper
1x Super Rod
2x Twist Mountain
Energy
6x Psychic Energy

Drop the Super Rod for 1 Scott and everything is fine. :cool:

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Sheodon said:
Scorched Feathers said:
Pokemon

Trainers
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 4 Level Ball
  • 4 Switch
  • 4 Warp Point

Energy
  • 6 Psychic
  • 4 Blend GRPD

I like to use Mary's Request, as it gives you +3 new cards in decks without Stage 2 evolutions. And sometimes that stable +3 is more appreciated than a +5 or 6 when you need to discard your hand, or shuffle it back, and so on. But I can understand why you don't want to use it, as Cheren now does it without any perks.

For your deck, I'd definitely add +4 Wally's Training, as it's a rapid evolution method. Also add 1 or 2 Scott, as it will give you a lots of Supporters, and you will need it. Definitely add Miasma Valley to your Deck! It works really well with your strategy. You can also tech 1 Cynthia's Feelings in your Deck if Shedinja (or one of your basics) gets knocked out. I'd also add 1 Windstorm, as it's really effective against annoying Tools and Stadiums. Also add something to recycle energies (if you want to use Suppoter, then Flower Shop Girl, if not, then Night Maintenance). For your star cards, I'd add 2 Junk Arms, as you're really based on your Trainer cards. You can also try out Super Scoop Up, but in my opinion, it's risky.

This deck, by the way, has a huge potential, as it only has two treats: LV.X deck and aggro decks like haymaker. (BW/XY EXs and M-EXs are banned, so they won't hurt it.)

Right. What would you do for the T/S/S Lineup? :3

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
Sheodon said:
Pokemon - 18
3x Nincada ex-Dragon 67
3x Ninjask ex-Deoxys 13
2x Baltoy Plasma
2x Claydol GE (4 Points)
1x Jirachi HS Unleashed
1x Rotom HS Undaunted 20

Draw/Supporters - 18
3x Bicycle
4x N
4x Felecity's Drawing
3x Prof. Juniper
3x Holon Mentor

Items - 15
4x Plume Fossil
4x Ultra Ball
3x Muscle Band
2x Level Ball
2x Tool Scrapper
1x Super Rod
2x Twist Mountain
Energy
6x Psychic Energy

I didn't even know Scott was a thing
But I think I'm going to keep my super rod actually

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer
Scorched Feathers said:
Sheodon said:

Right. What would you do for the T/S/S Lineup? :3

Here's my variant:

Pokemon
4 Nincada
4 Ninjask
4 Shedinja
4 Shuppet
2 Unown Q

Trainers
4 Mr. Briney's Compassion
4 Switch
4 Warp Point
4 Level Ball
3 Wally's Training
3 Professor Juniper
3 N
2 Junk Arm (4 Stars)
2 Scott
1 Miasma Valley
1 Night Maintenance

Energy
6 Psychic
4 Blend GRPD

And you have a free space for anything. I'd add 1 Cleffa.

Sheodon said:

I didn't even know Scott was a thing
But I think I'm going to keep my super rod actually

Then drop 1 Felicity's Drawing for 1 Scott. If you really need a draw power, you can search it with Scott.