• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Alolan Ninetales GX

MajoraMayhem

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Mons - 12
4 x Alolan Vulpix
4 x Alolan Ninetales GX
2 x Shaymin EX
1 x Tapu Lele GX
1 x Manaphy EX

Trainers - 37 (25-2-10)
4 x Ultra Ball
3 x Dive Ball
4 x VS Seeker
4 x Aqua Patch
2 x Trainer's Mail
3 x Choice Band
2 x Field Blower
2 x Escape Rope
1 x Rescue Stretcher

2 x Rough Seas

4 x Sycamore
2 x N
2 x Lysandre
1 x Hex Maniac
1 x Lillie

Energy - 11
4 x DCE
7 x Water

Super straightforward list. Ninetales is a fantastic attacker, capable of hitting 50 damage anywhere, swinging 160 (190 with Choice Band which is ridiculous), and has a buffed Damage Change. I'll probably end up bumping up the Water count to ensure that Aqua Patch gets live as soon as possible. Overall this is a deck that I'm very excited for in the new format.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi MajoraMayhem,

Nice list. Consider these modifications:

- 1 Dive Ball (six search items and Alolan Vulpix suffice)
- 2 Trainer's Mail (not needed in this list)
- 1 Escape Rope (one is sufficient)

- 1 Shaymin EX (you want other attackers to avoid being stalled by Glaceon EX)

+ 2 Rough Seas (you will need the max healing potential)
+ 1 Water Energy

+ 1 Tapu Lele GX (nice search card and secondary attacker)
+ 1 Glaceon EX (great in mirror matches and vs. Trevenant, Garbodor, Eeveelutions, Lycanroc etc.)

There are two other cards that I would like to fit into the deck by cutting down a little on the items:

+ 1 Ace Trainer (nice when you start with Alolan Vulpix and it is knocked out. Tapu Lele GX can get it from the deck with ease.)
+ 1 Hoopa (the first attack is nice for hitting the bench and supplements Alolan Ninetales GX)

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
I highly disagree with dropping a Shaymin. You really want at least 2 in most decks. Not necessarily to use 2 every game, but to make sure 1 isn't prized. If you only have 1 and it's prized you're already behind in this meta. It's not an attacker it's a supporting Pokémon. If Glaceon is a thing in your local meta then run a Pokémon Ranger, with 4 VS Seeker and 2 Tapu Lele you shouldn't have a problem finding it when you need it. You already have 2 Escape Rope and 2 Lysandre so working around it shouldn't be too difficult anyway even without the ranger.

I do agree with an extra Tapu Lele, this guy is going to shake up the meta a ton since it has a great ability, decent health, and a good attack. Simply adding this gives you the extra attacker that can really help.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi TheGuardian118,

The reason for dropping one Shaymin EX is that Tapu Lele GX can do the same at the start of the game with Lillie. it even draws you two more cards than Shaymin EX. In contrast to Shaymin Ex Tapu Lele GX is aalso a decent secondary attacker while Shaymin EX turns into an easily obtained two prizes for the opponent when benched.

electivre418

Aspiring Trainer
Based on my original testing with Alolan Ninetales, Glaceon EX is very ineffective thanks to Tapu Lele GX. I play one Shaymin EX and I rarely ever use it unless I draw bad. I play 1 Shaymin EX and 2 Tapu Lele GX as my drawing options. I also play Professor Kukui because 160 is an awkward number and doing an extra 20 fixes it. (Also helps when I whiff the choice band). I don't use Manaphy EX because not only its an easy two prizes but my opponent generally goes after it early game than hitting Ninetales GX.

I play Tapu Koko in my list but it won't come out till June so ill have to find a replacement for it. If M Ray is popular in your area, I would put in Sudowoodo. I play 3 Rough Seas and 1 Centre Lady for healing. (May do 4 RS) Healing up to 90 allows for me to potentially hit for 160 twice without worrying about it being knocked out and I can just move all the damage off using GX attack afterwards.

I might try Articuno ROS in Ninetales, but again, doesn't seem to be effective. Zoroark is interesting, its ability possible allows you to chain attacks and switch attackers and is a decent attacker itself. (Problem is space is gonna be tight though) I prefer this over Manaphy EX, but thats just me.

Hopefully I helped :)

Last edited:

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
Hi TheGuardian118,

The reason for dropping one Shaymin EX is that Tapu Lele GX can do the same at the start of the game with Lillie. it even draws you two more cards than Shaymin EX. In contrast to Shaymin Ex Tapu Lele GX is aalso a decent secondary attacker while Shaymin EX turns into an easily obtained two prizes for the opponent when benched.

Tapu Lele burns your supporter for a turn, Shaymin let's you play an extra pseudo-supporter. I think it's pretty well established based on the results at most high level play that two Shaymin is standard in most decks, even with Lele changing things up I don't see that changing until rotation. If anything it will influence supporter lines more than anything else. Again, it's not necessarily to play two Shaymin in a game, it's to minimize the chance to have one prized. You can still Lele for Lillie/Sycamore depending on your hand after Shaymin turn 1, getting that many more cards quickly. With the new Aqua Patch I could see Sycamore being the better play instead of Lillie to dump energy into the discard then AP it back on after the Sycamore.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but drawing with Shaymin is too good and the 2-prize argument hasn't worked over the past couple years of competitive play so I don't really see it working now. There's plenty of ways to discard Pokémon from the bench or Ninja boy them away if you're worried. As good as getting draw supporters from Lele will be, I think the real benefit will having super easy access to the 1 or 2-of supporters. You'll be able to grab Skyla, Hex Maniac, Ninja Boy, Ace Trainer, Teammates, Pokémon Center Lady, Delinquent, and Lysandre exactly when you want them.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Hi TheGuardian118,

The main point is that you do not need to burn down half of the deck in the first two turns with Alolan Ninetales GX. Tapu Lele GX suffices from initial test runs and he is also a decent attacker.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
I play Tapu Koko in my list but it won't come out till June so ill have to find a replacement for it.

You could check out Hoopa. He can hit two Pokémon for 20 damage for a single energy. I actually prefer it over Tapu Koko since it is a more controlled snipping which allows you to leave out any benched Tauros GX.

electivre418

Aspiring Trainer
You could check out Hoopa. He can hit two Pokémon for 20 damage for a single energy. I actually prefer it over Tapu Koko since it is a more controlled snipping which allows you to leave out any benched Tauros GX.

Hoopa does have its uses but Tapu Koko has free retreat and does more damage. Depending on the meta, it may have a better typing.

20 from Koko and then another attack with Koko along with choice band knocks out Shaymin EX. (20 to bench then 100 to active)

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
The promo Koko is electric type and has weakness against Shaymin so the 100 to active is 200 which KO's the Shaymin without the sniping attack or Choice Band. It also takes 3 energy though. Unless you were talking about 2 hitting Shaymin via 1 snipe for 20, then Lysandre with CB for 50x2. Electric doesn't have as good energy acceleration as Water does so I'm not sure how it's relevant to this particular deck, nor am I sure that a 2-hit on a Shaymin that requires a lysandre is worth building a deck around. Yes, you'll take a quick two prizes, but you'll also leave their actual attackers free to get set up and knock out your attacker and tool.

Assuming you're talking about this one: http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/04/tapu-koko-pin-collection-product-image

electivre418

Aspiring Trainer
The promo Koko is electric type and has weakness against Shaymin so the 100 to active is 200 which KO's the Shaymin without the sniping attack or Choice Band. It also takes 3 energy though. Unless you were talking about 2 hitting Shaymin via 1 snipe for 20, then Lysandre with CB for 50x2. Electric doesn't have as good energy acceleration as Water does so I'm not sure how it's relevant to this particular deck, nor am I sure that a 2-hit on a Shaymin that requires a lysandre is worth building a deck around. Yes, you'll take a quick two prizes, but you'll also leave their actual attackers free to get set up and knock out your attacker and tool.

Koko requires a DCE to attack like Alolan Ninetales GX. I won't ever use the second attack because its trash. The goal is to attack as many times with Koko followed by huge damage from Ninetales or sniping off small pokemon. I was just talking about doing 20 and then lysander Shaymin and knock it out with choice band (attacking twice).

ZygardeGuy

Baba ba wawa ha ha ba ba
I highly disagree with dropping a Shaymin. You really want at least 2 in most decks. Not necessarily to use 2 every game, but to make sure 1 isn't prized. If you only have 1 and it's prized you're already behind in this meta. It's not an attacker it's a supporting Pokémon. If Glaceon is a thing in your local meta then run a Pokémon Ranger, with 4 VS Seeker and 2 Tapu Lele you shouldn't have a problem finding it when you need it. You already have 2 Escape Rope and 2 Lysandre so working around it shouldn't be too difficult anyway even without the ranger.

I do agree with an extra Tapu Lele, this guy is going to shake up the meta a ton since it has a great ability, decent health, and a good attack. Simply adding this gives you the extra attacker that can really help.
The new "thing" is to have 1 Shaymin EX and 3 Tapu Leles in each deck.

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
The new "thing" is to have 1 Shaymin EX and 3 Tapu Leles in each deck.

A month ago Lele wasn't out, much less tournament legal so this entire thread was speculation. I haven't seen any lists with 3 Lele that have been successful at any major tournaments yet. (Probably because it just became legal this past weekend!) Give it a tournament or two to find out what the right mix of everything is. Of course, it'll all change once rotation hits. Then I could 100% see 3 being very good.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
A few thoughts for your consideration:
  • Are you finding that 7 W are sufficient? Just seems "light" to me, especially if your opponent negate your use of attacking his/her bench with Ice Blade with Mr. Mime (Bench Barricade). Plus, after you commit and/or expend your limited W energy and Aqua Patch'es, you may not have enough W energy to fully power-up a 3rd/4th Alolan Ninetales GX should you need to. So, do you need a Brock's Grit be more helpful in recovering discarded resources mid-to-late game?
  • Lastly, I now only run 1 Shaymin EX and 1 Tapu Lele GX in my decks. Running 2 Shaymin EXs, especially without a Parallel City (to remove these potential 2-prize liabilities), increases your mid-to-late game risks for game loss, IMO.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
I played against a ninetales deck In top cut the other night he had a similar list to the original post I believe he played 2 brooklit hill as well so that he would not have to search for manaphy with a ball also he did use 2 shaymins one lele. He also played multi switch so that's something to consider. BTW this player is one of the people who consistently top cuts in my area so I trust his choices are good ones