Discussion Alolan Evolution Ruling

Prof. Lev

Gotta pull 'em all!
Alolan Raticate/Dugtrio/Persian/Muk can only evolve from Alolan Rattata/Diglett/Meowth/Grimer, right?

It says on top of the card. "Evolves from Alolan-Whatever" so yes. You need the alolan version. Not the regular one as far as i know.

Pokemon say what they evolve from. Generally, there is only 1 card name that is applicable. If there is more than 1 applicable card name it can evolve from, it will say so. To date, only Blissey ex and Scizor ex from Unseen Forces have ever done this I believe, being able to evolve from either Chansey or Chansey ex/Scyther or Scyther ex respectively, and say so in the "evolves from" text.

The only Alolan forms that will be able to evolve from any other card will be Raichu, Exeggutor and Marowak since their pre-evolutions don't have Alolan forms any Pikachu, Exeggcute or Cubone could evolve into them respectively.

Gruffling's comment is where I was going with this. Raichu had me puzzled as to whether there'd be a rule change to allow it's evolution, or if there would be text on the card, or the most radical but most exciting, the idea of an Alolan Pikachu from outta nowhere.

I hadn't considered Exeggutor and Marowak.

Back