Alola Rattata and Munchlax with Snorlium-Z Included in Nintendo Direct News!

Snorlax's Z-move animation is absolutely glorious. Also it kinda remindes me of this old gem.
958209.jpg
And now he's opening his eyes and running at the speed of light.
Just *sniff* beautiful.

I thought it was odd how the Snorlax move had it running crazy fast over a long distance, then I found it funny when it went back to the normal battle scene and you could see they were actually not that far apart.

I'd like to think that's a perspective joke (for lack of a better word?)

Well, I just decided to put a Snorlax on my team. Simply for the utility.

Bring on all the $$$.

I like aloan rattata I've always thought it could be a dark type.

In Italian, Snorlax's Z-Move is called something like "Time to get serious" instead of the translation of "Pulverizing Pankake", lol!

"Pulverizing Pancake"... lol

As for Rattata... I don't like its new whiskers. It's the only thing that's annoying me a bit because otherwise, I think it looks cool. Pure Dark would be better though...

Alolan Rattata looks exactly how I envisioned it. That being said, I love it.

But...that Snorlax Z move. Holy sweet Arceus that was the most hilarious thing I've seen today. Especially when he gets that spark in his eye when his trainer is just standing on top of him. XD I won't be surprised if it becomes a meme.

And Alolan Raichu's Z move...just...I'm in love. I want all of the Alolan Raichu. <3

So if the Munchlax is a preorder bonus, are there restrictions on where it was preordered from and the rest of the world outside the US.

Awesome news but what really stood out to me is this:

"Alolan Raticate serve as their bosses."

1. Why didn't they just showcase Alolan Raticate as well, like they did with Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash and Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales?
2. This is another nail in the coffin for people who think there won't be an Alolan Pikachu, Exeggcute, Cubone or Persian. A topic that has been frustrating the hell out of me because it would make no sense for the revealed Pokemon not to have Alolan pre-evolutions/evolutions even though they have't been revealed.

Also, getting a Munchlax with a exclusive Z-stone is awesome and all but unlike the Torchic that was released with Pokemon X & Y which had Speed Boost and a Blazikenite, this Munchlax doesn't seem very usable, competitively at least. But then again, we don't know how viable Z-moves are or if they are simply pretty-looking versions of Hyper Beam so we'll have to see. But, once again, a free Pokemon is always welcome, especially when it comes with exclusive stuff.

Last edited:
Awesome news but what really stood out to me is this:

"Alolan Raticate serve as their bosses."

1. Why didn't they just showcase Alolan Raticate as well, like they did with Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash and Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales?
2. This is another nail in the coffin for people who think there won't be an Alolan Pikachu, Exeggcute, Cubone or Persian. A topic that has been frustrating the hell out of me because it would make no sense for the revealed Pokemon not to have Alolan pre-evolutions/evolutions even though they have't been revealed.

They didn't show it because they don't need to at all. For Raichu, Exeggcute, and Cubone, they showed the non-alolan form evolving into the alolan form. Also, they didn't show Alolan Persian, so why isn't that a problem too? Plus with the argument of "why show an Alolan pre-evolution without the Alolan Evolution shown", shouldn't that also work with the new pokemon? Like, "why show the (pre)evolution and not what it evolves from/into?"

They didn't show it because they don't need to at all. For Raichu, Exeggcute, and Cubone, they showed the non-alolan form evolving into the alolan form. Also, they didn't show Alolan Persian, so why isn't that a problem too? Plus with the argument of "why show an Alolan pre-evolution without the Alolan Evolution shown", shouldn't that also work with the new pokemon? Like, "why show the (pre)evolution and not what it evolves from/into?"

They actually didn't show Cubone and Pikachu evolving into their Alolan formes. They cut just before they evolved and they didn't show Exeggcute at all.

And I understand your argument of why they didn't show Alolan Raticate but they mentioned it so they might as well have shown it. But then again, they'll probably reveal it on September 6.

Alolan Rattata is meh to me; somewhat of a disappointment. I think it should've been pure Dark instead of Dark/Normal; but what can you do?

However, Snorlax and it's "Pulverizing Pancake" move did not disappoint. It should be fun to see that move in action for myself.

So if the Munchlax is a preorder bonus, are there restrictions on where it was preordered from and the rest of the world outside the US.

Most likely it will be like the Speed Boost Torchic for X&Y and the Shiny Beldum for ORAS where the were able to be downloaded within the first few months of the game's release.

I really hope in multiple Pokemon formats the Pulverizing Pancake sends a shockwave hitting all other Pokemon on the field. Also should Paralyze the main target if they survive.

Sure.
So Rattata gets a rough evil mustache now. And meowth has an evily sophisticated mustache. And raticate is a "boss". And persian will also presumably be something of the sort.

And we have a P.I. pokemon, too.

Where I'm going to is that if there isn't a subquest in this game where you and your Gumshoos meet a seductive Lurantis that comes in threatened by their cat-mouse mafia and go all Sam Spade on them to unravel their operation, and you visit a cabaret run by Bruxish, violently interrogate a Wimpod who is there "enjoying" Oricorio's dances as Popplio's evolution sings in the background, stakeout and chase a Salandit through the streets of Alola, get jumped by hired Crabrawler and Litten's evo on a dark alley and are tricked by The Dame Lurantis into a final confrontation with main boss Persian and his army of thug Raticate, all in black-and-white, of course, I will be sorely disappointed.

Last edited:
Even though it was a sight to behold, I still am not sold on this whole "Z-Move" thing.

Being reminded that they gave Snorlax such a bad pre-Evolved Form doesn't help. How about an Alohan form for Munchlax, since it really needs a better look? ;) Though I suppose the fact that it has always looked like it was wearing a muumuu is appropriate here. Still, having a name that isn't a mild insult in English would be appreciated.

"Munch" became short for "buttmunch", and that was an insult in my day.:confused:

Snorlax definitely took the spotlight in this trailer with that pulverizing pancake. Seriously, it's just so cute, hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

Back