All Time Favorite Decks

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
What is your favorite deck of all time? Competitive or not, something you loved to play in tourneys, etc.

My top 5 are:
1. VileGar
2. Kingdra Prime / Gengar SF (Weird combination that I got 2nd at a Battle Roads. And combines my favorite Pokemon (Kingdra) and my favorite Pokemon to use in the TCG (Gengar)
3. Giratina Lv. X / Mewtwo Lv. X / Cressilia Lv. X (Top cut at my first Regionals)
4. Tyranitar Prime (LCQ'd into Worlds 2010)
5. Shuppet (So fun to use!)

I probably have more that I will add.

None right now in the current format :p

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
RE: What are some of your favorite decks all time?

Currently I really enjoy a deck that attacks based on the Retreat cost (which I call Sticky). I love it when it catches my opponent off guard. Also, it sets up super quickly, and allows me to draw draw draw (most of the time). Aggressive is the best!

H

HungryHarkinian

Durant/Rotom is literally the best ever. Milling 2-3 per turn while stopping upwards to 30 with Eviolite and Special Metal is freaking awesome.

RideLith

All theory. No action.
LostGar was probably my favourite. Palkia G X, Mew Prime and Seeker just made some awesome plays possible and, albeit not being the BDIF, I could use it with a good degree of success.

My troll Gyarados Star deck was so bad but so fun to play with too. I wonder how it would fare with Lysandre's Trump Card and Blacksmith nowadays...

Other than that, Haymaker with teched Aerodactyl in classic. Decks based around Rayquaza EX from EX Dragon were pretty cool too, although I never had the cards to build one.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
I have been playing rain dance variants since 'rain dance' meant something other than an indigenous weather modification ritual.

(I suppose technically any form of energy acceleration since currently it takes the form of Geomancy + 2x Aegislash infinite combo... to me that is still rain dance.)

King of Dragons

I just hang around for reasons
Rayeels got me 6th at Battle Roads, and I enjoyed how so many techs could be used
I ran a Chandelure/Zoroak deck along time ago, it didn't do well in tournement terms but I had very fun with it
Plasma Lugia got me 8 th at Cities and the Top 16 at States, and it was a blast.
I am now running Hydreigon Toolbox and soon M Rayquaza

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
Arcanine base set (first deck I made that was even close to competitive)

For the current format, I'd have to say M Gardevoir/Fairy decks are my favorite. I actually haven't been playing as much, but this is the deck I use when I want to play some TCG.

A close second are fighting toolbox decks.

CruelBear

Aspiring Trainer
5. Steelix Prime/Nidoqueen RR/Frost Rotom: This is the first deck I took to a competitive tournament, right after CoL came out I think. The idea was set up a Steelix, pour Special Metal Energy on it, set up Nidoqueen, and tank. I had plenty of switches to take advantage of Nidoqueen healing 20 damage a turn, and stuff like MooMoo Milk and Life Herb when Nidoqueen wasn't enough. Frost Rotom was just there to cover the Fire Weakness, which I thought was the only thing able to OHKO Steelix. I found I was wrong, when I got second at a Battle Roads to a Magnezone deck. I don't think that was too bad, considering how poorly optimized the deck was. I didn't have any Uxie or most of the staples of the day, and I had to use the other Steelix since I only had one Prime, yet I was still able to beat everything except Magnezone.

4. Typhlosion Prime/Reshiram BW/Terrakion EP/Tyrogue HS: Seems like a weird combination, but this had all the tools in it to beat ZekEels and have a strong matchup against Mewtwo. Tyrogue and Cyndaquil CoL were both able to OHKO Tynamo with Pluspower, Terrakion destroyed Zekrom, Typhlosion ripped the energy off of Mewtwo and other threats, and Reshiram cleared its own energy off to lower Mewtwo's damage output. It was great; except the part where I didn't fight any Zekeels decks with it, but always saw one sitting next to me.

3. Empoleon/Zoroark BW: Back when Darkrai/Hydreigon was a big thing, this was hands down, the best counter to it I've ever seen. As soon as they could get a Hydreigon out, Zoroark would OHKO it with its own attack (And a Dark Claw or PlusPower). Empoleon traded well with Darkrai, and Zoroark was difficult for Mewtwo to KO if Zoroark got the first hit.

2. Empoleon/Greninja: This is my current deck, and is great at taking surprise victories. There have been so many games I've pulled an extra Greninja out of nowhere for the win (Like managing to hit a fresh Genesect EX for 170 damage in one turn for the win). It's full of surprises, and even can survive Seismitoad thanks to Teammates.

1. Cinccino BW/Ninetales HS/Reshiram BW: I won a Cities Championship with this. Between all the major pieces being searchable by Level Ball, and Roast Reveal getting me 3 extra cards a turn, the deck would always be attacking for 80+ on Turn 2. Add in Pichu to fill my bench, and Turn 2 is even stronger. At the time, Cinccino was powerful enough to OHKO most threats that weren't Stage 2s or Reshiram/Zekrom, and Reshiram was able to OHKO those with Pluspower. No one was playing Reshiram without energy acceleration, so this really took that tournament by surprise.

Blah

DBT
Klinklang from the BW-PLS format. Slowly and meticulously crafting a lock until your opponent couldn't do anything was a lot of fun, especially with all the weird stuff you could do like attack with Klinklang or use Pull Out Durant lol. Oh, and it got me 2nd at a Regionals /humblebrag

Blastoise in the BW-BCR format was pretty fun too--before BKEX came out, you had to OHKO everything with Keldeo which made for some really weird situations and lists. I ran 15 water energy and 4 Retrieval in one of my lists and it was glorious.

asdjklghty

-------------
No order:

-Raybor/Eggs

-Darkrai EX/Yveltal EX

-LuxApe

-LuxChomp

-DialgaChomp

-Speedrill

-Klingklang/Cobalion EX/Registeel EX

Mora

Don't Panic
Top 3 (ironically, they're all Fire):

1. Victini Toolbox

• This was a pretty good meta counter in the BW-PLS. Terrakion EX single-handedly won games against Darkrai and RayEels. I could fairly consistently donk Klinklang before they even got Klinklang into play. Blastoise was a tough match up though. I don't know what else was popular, but I pretty much had a way to deal with just about anything.
2. Ho-Oh / Stuff

• Won something like 3 consecutive Cities with this deck. Why wouldn't I like it?
3. Regigigas EX / Typhlosion

• Ehh this was my first real attempt at a competitive deck. It wasn't the best deck in the world (especially since Terrakion was VERY popular at the time), but the synergy was there, and it was pretty fun to play. Reminds me of the good old days.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Wildfire and Damage Swap. I enjoy decks that fulfill alternate win conditions outside of just taking six prizes.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
Klinklang: Got me Top 8 at a regionals, and Top 64 in Nationals 2013. It was just a really fun deck to play.
Gengar 2009: Probably my favorite deck from my favorite format to play. It was just so playable at its time, was easy to set up and perform, and was just such a consistent deck.
Jumpluff 2010: My favorite type of 'empoleon' deck. In the BTS/pluspower era, the deck was really fun to play.
Stallgon: Probably my favorite lock deck of all time. It is so intricate and needs a lot of skill to master. I love playing this deck against friends who don't know the strategy :p.

My favorite current deck: (sadly) Exeggcute. Its so stupid, but it works. The 10 damage stack with the effect, muscle band, and laser is so annoying but brilliant. I don't own the deck, but play it sometimes online...and its pure evil.

grantm1999

VileGar
Vilegar, the original VG. I did decent with it my first year of seniors. That was before I started making rogues.

Manectric DRX/Pyroar/Landorus EX, got me top 8 at nationals and one of my weirdest creations. Was really good.

Currently, I enjoy messing with my weird Exeggcutor deck. I use Life Dew + Trump Card + Archie + Swampert + Slurpuff with a slew of other annoying things. It's pretty good. I'd play it for states possibly if Virgen wasn't a thing.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
White Kyurem EX (PLS) / Emboar
Got 11th at Regionals with this, This was also the first deck I made to actually be competitive :p. It revolved around White Kyurem EX, Altaria and Crystal Edge to OHKO anything. Pretty fun :p Gets destroyed by Landorus / Garbodor though :(