Blog Alakaboodle - Awakening Of The Psychic King Set Review!

carbrink break can only attach the energies to fighting pokemon. Read the card it says (F) pokemon.

Couple things here:
G Booster requires two grass energy so I'm not sure how well it's going to work with the steel type Genesect also
"Zygarde-EX is pretty bad IMO, with maybe it’s first attack being OK for knocking out basics Turn 1." Please explain further. As far as I understand it this is one of the most hyped cards in the set. I'm going to need more than a line explaining why you don't like Zygarde-EX. Yes, it's nothing we haven't seen before and has comparisons to Lucario and Landorus (in expanded) but this will be a house post rotation in Standard. Again, not seeing the hate here.

I don't know what you were talking about with Twisted Spoon. Jolteon's Swift will be obselete, Giratina directly affects the player, Head Ringer isn't an attack, and, I mean yeah, it stops Groudon, but Groudon is dead in this format. Then again, it might be popular in your area, but you were semi-wrong about Mew. It is weak in HP and is easily OHKO's, but FFB will make it good. Night March already plays FFB, so the inclusion of Mew will be something easy to do, since Buddy- Buddy Rescue did basically what Mew does for that deck- getting extra NM's, and since people are already having problems with versing FFB, this should be at least half decent. Plus, BBR is an item, which are easily blocked in this format.

@gregpokeman I am trying to fix it, thanks for the notification.
@Expert_Occultist Actually G-Booster needs 2 grass energy to attack, but doesn't need to discard 2 grass energy. This would easily be fulfilled by a combo of Grass/Metal with max elixir. I think both variants have their advantages, but I think this one has potential.
As for Zygarde, it is very obvious from looking at it that it is not an attacking Pokemon. It has one attack and it's barely better than Lucario's attack. All I am really saying is that it won't be used for attacking if used, but for support like Deoxys-EX. At the same time, the Crobat line is much better at spreading damage and isn't stuck up in the active spot after a lysandre. We don't know what rotation is, and my article doesn't mention a format that isn't even confirmed yet. Assuming it is past FFI, who would Regirock even be paired with? Definitely not Primal Groudon-ex as it doesn't need it (and is a bad lysandre target). There's Garchomp, but that's a very bad deck right now and will be significantly worst if Fighting Stadium and Muscle Band aren't reprinted. So there's no real deck that needs Regirock in my opinion, and it will be good once a better fighting Pokemon gets printed to be paired with it.

@gregpokeman I am trying to fix it, thanks for the notification.
@Expert_Occultist Actually G-Booster needs 2 grass energy to attack, but doesn't need to discard 2 grass energy. This would easily be fulfilled by a combo of Grass/Metal with max elixir. I think both variants have their advantages, but I think this one has potential.
As for Zygarde, it is very obvious from looking at it that it is not an attacking Pokemon. It has one attack and it's barely better than Lucario's attack. All I am really saying is that it won't be used for attacking if used, but for support like Deoxys-EX. At the same time, the Crobat line is much better at spreading damage and isn't stuck up in the active spot after a lysandre. We don't know what rotation is, and my article doesn't mention a format that isn't even confirmed yet. Assuming it is past FFI, who would Regirock even be paired with? Definitely not Primal Groudon-ex as it doesn't need it (and is a bad lysandre target). There's Garchomp, but that's a very bad deck right now and will be significantly worst if Fighting Stadium and Muscle Band aren't reprinted. So there's no real deck that needs Regirock in my opinion, and it will be good once a better fighting Pokemon gets printed to be paired with it.
I'm confused. Are we talking about ZYGARDE or REGIROCK here? This quote has you flip-flopping. Zygarde has 3 attacks not one :/ Your points on Regirock still stand but that's not what I was talking about. I wanna know why ZYGARDE will be bad

I'm confused. Are we talking about ZYGARDE or REGIROCK here? This quote has you flip-flopping. Zygarde has 3 attacks not one :/ Your points on Regirock still stand but that's not what I was talking about. I wanna know why ZYGARDE will be bad
Meant to say Regirock in the first line of the second paragraph.
And Zygarde-EX itself is not great and much worst than Lucario-EX. With Power Memory it makes the card much better. In the same way as Genesect-EX itself it just OK without G-booster, Zygarde is the same. The rest of the paragraph mentions how I do not think it's bad, and clearly you didn't finish reading the paragraph to notice this.

I don't know what you were talking about with Twisted Spoon. Jolteon's Swift will be obselete, Giratina directly affects the player, Head Ringer isn't an attack, and, I mean yeah, it stops Groudon, but Groudon is dead in this format. Then again, it might be popular in your area, but you were semi-wrong about Mew. It is weak in HP and is easily OHKO's, but FFB will make it good. Night March already plays FFB, so the inclusion of Mew will be something easy to do, since Buddy- Buddy Rescue did basically what Mew does for that deck- getting extra NM's, and since people are already having problems with versing FFB, this should be at least half decent. Plus, BBR is an item, which are easily blocked in this format.
I am going to fix this as well.
And about the Mew thing, not sure if you notices the rise of Megaphone and Xerosic this past weekend at States. Almost every deck ran 1 of either (or both) cards. I do think the card is very good and will see play in Night March, but not every deck. The low HP makes it vulnerable to bat damage or even a Shaymin-EX attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I was just bewildered about the confusion of Zygarde and Regirock in the first sentence and couldn't make heads or tales of the rest of your reply after that. It all makes sense now thank you :)

@Elbow Regirock could be used with Medicham, as it is much better fighting support than Machamp. And Fighting Stadium WAS reprinted.

@Elbow Actually, I wasn't able to make states since the closest one was 200 miles from me, and my parents wouldn't drive me. But that is very informative.

The beginning paragraph is incorrect with Delphox. Its is stated, "His main attack is Psycho Storm, which for three Colorless Energy does 20 damage for ALL Energy attached to your and your opponent’s Pokemon. That attack is very underrated. If each side has two Energy down, the attack is doing 160 damage!" The attack is actually: [C][C][C] Psycho Storm: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to all Pokemon (both yours and your opponent’s). Because of this 2 energies on each side would only do 80 damage total [2(20) + 2(20)] = 80 you would need 8 energies total to do 160 damage because 8(20) = 160. Hope this helps! :)

The beginning paragraph is incorrect with Delphox. Its is stated, "His main attack is Psycho Storm, which for three Colorless Energy does 20 damage for ALL Energy attached to your and your opponent’s Pokemon. That attack is very underrated. If each side has two Energy down, the attack is doing 160 damage!" The attack is actually: [C][C][C] Psycho Storm: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to all Pokemon (both yours and your opponent’s). Because of this 2 energies on each side would only do 80 damage total [2(20) + 2(20)] = 80 you would need 8 energies total to do 160 damage because 8(20) = 160. Hope this helps! :)
That is another correction that will be edited soon :)

mew is also only able to target your basic pokemon for attacks far worse than mew ex in that respect because it cant even turn an opponents toad against itself item locking them and the hp is atrocious

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Servine and Serperior? Only one energy to attack, and Servine gives you easy opportunities to stall opponents with paralysis. That's the evolution line I'm looking forward to the most right now.

alakazham is very powerful. It doesn't need a crobat line at all. What it needs is hoopa+ devolution spray + super scoop up and u could potentially ko 2 ex pokemon or a few basic in night march deck in t2

Watch the video plz:

Last edited:
Hi Elbow,

Nice article. Here are some comments:

Glaceon Ex:
You wrote: "Many Stage 1-2 decks now are running Pokemon with free retreat, such as Raichu, Garchomp, and Greninja. This really hinders the strategy of Glaceon-EX." The effect of Crystal Ray is on Glaceon Ex and not the defender. As long as the opponent does not retreat into a Basic that can knock out Glaceon Ex he will be fine. Similar to Jolteon Ex this is a tech card and it can be decent in M Manectric and Rainbow Fairies.

Alakazam Ex line:
You wrote: "So the obvious archetype here would be Alakazam-EX and the Golbat/ Crobat line for additional damage." I would say that the obvious combo here is the Alakazam Ex line with Wobbuffet and Hoopa Ex. M Alakazam Ex is good because of Alakazam Ex's ability. Run Super Scoop Up and other retrieval cards to use Spoon Bending multiple times each turn to spread some damage around. Unline the Crobat line the Alakazam Ex line can be easily searched out.

I don't agree with your opinion on Lass' Recommendation, it draws cards equal to the number of your opponent's Benched Basic Pokemon, so your opponent need to have 4 Basic Pokemon on their Bench for it to be better than Tierno.

Why I don't agree is because current meta decks only run 2-4 Basic Bench sitters. For example, YZG will mostly have 2 or 3 Benched Basics, such as baby Yveltal, Yveltal EX and Shaymin EX, and Night March will probably have 2 Shaymin EX and 2 Night Marcher.

mew is also only able to target your basic pokemon for attacks far worse than mew ex in that respect because it cant even turn an opponents toad against itself item locking them and the hp is atrocious
It should have said close to Mew-EXs ability in the article. And sure you can't use opponent's attacks, but you have a non-ex here. If this were a basic with the same ability and high hp it would be extremely overpowered. I mention it is very balanced. I agree the HP is low, but this can be fixed easily by fighting futy belt.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Servine and Serperior? Only one energy to attack, and Servine gives you easy opportunities to stall opponents with paralysis. That's the evolution line I'm looking forward to the most right now.
I think it's too situational. First, servine needs a flip for its ability to work. Even still your opponent can run AZ or escape rope or some card to get out of paralysis. Serperior is only doing 80 for a grass and can't attack again next turn...with 2 retreat how can this be good? By the time you become a stage 2 and try to use coil to increase slash down's damage serperior will already be KOed. I really cant see this line being too good.

@Dark Espeon about glaceon, its about retreating in some sense. Many decks that play evolutions play basic attackers. Decks with Zoroark play Yveltal, decks with mega man play regice and jolteon and ho-oh, decks with greninja play miltank. I think the only two decks effected by this are Vespi and Trevenant. Vespi will have to switch to the Night March version if Glaceon becomes big. As well as trevenant having to run 1 copy of Gengar for Glaceon. Most decks have a way out of Glaceon, and thats where free retreat comes in. This doesn't factor in escape rope or lysandre, which are prevalent in most decks today.

@saiyiuchan001 @Dark Espeon
About mega Kazoom, the deck has major problems with decks in format. For one, item lock screws over the entire deck you describe. Toad and Trevenant are major forces in the meta right now and will easily destroy this deck. And what happens under ability lock? Like Greninja, Garb, or Silent lab? Do you just lose? This is why you need bats as well as alazkazam. This brings me to my second point, of why not wobbuffet? It has many more advantages than alakazam.

I don't agree with your opinion on Lass' Recommendation, it draws cards equal to the number of your opponent's Benched Basic Pokemon, so your opponent need to have 4 Basic Pokemon on their Bench for it to be better than Tierno.

Why I don't agree is because current meta decks only run 2-4 Basic Bench sitters. For example, YZG will mostly have 2 or 3 Benched Basics, such as baby Yveltal, Yveltal EX and Shaymin EX, and Night March will probably have 2 Shaymin EX and 2 Night Marcher.
In my opinion, most decks that run evolutions (outside of decks are are solely stage 1/2 decks) will not have down too many evolutions at one time. Dark will only have 1 zoroark, vespi will only have another vespi, manectric will only have another manectric, etc. Decks runs Hoopa and Shaymin, making the bench filled with more basics usually. It's a card you would rather use over shuffling your hand in and drawing 4-5. This gives you 4 cards on average as well as what was in your original hand. It is situational, but so are flip cards such as birch which is widely played.

Back