OU: Pokémon Aegislash Discussion Thread

Yes, I was saying that he would come in on something that would normally (with the other sets) give him problems defensively (as in they would 1 or 2HKO) and then proceed to surprise them with a return 1 or 2HKO, although I'm not sure if a set like that would run 4 attacks or king's shield. I do see your point though, if that is what I had meant.

Then again, maybe I'm just not making sense. Oh well.

I have a derp question.

Why doesn't anybody use Gyro Ball on Aegislash? Is it because even with -nature and 0 IVs, base 60 is too fast for Gyro Balling? Or is there an alternate reason?

TPO3 said:
I have a derp question.

Why doesn't anybody use Gyro Ball on Aegislash? Is it because even with -nature and 0 IVs, base 60 is too fast for Gyro Balling? Or is there an alternate reason?

You answered the question yourself. Aegislash is too fast compared to things like Bronzong, Forretress and Ferrothorn who can use it well. Aegis has Iron Head, and Gyro even has less PP.

~AoH

This is a great Pokemon, but as many people have already commented upon, it's being sorely misused as a Swords Dancer.

I haven't used Aegislash myself, but in the matches I have played against it King's Sheild has been painfully predictable. You can see it coming from a mile away and get a free switch or status in. Aegislash might simply be better off with four attacks + Life Orb.

Defensive Aegislash is something I have thought about, but I'm not sure how much mileage you'd get out of it given how it loses to the best Rapid Spinner in the game (Excadrill). It's a shame that Aegislash doesn't get the Ghost staples like Will-o-wisp and Pain Split.

AoH said:
The Aegislash sets that I find useful aside from StanceDance are the mixed set (Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword, Iron Head), the 3-Attacks set (KS, Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword, Iron Head, Shadow Ball, etc.),the 3-Attacks Special set (KS, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball, HP Ice, etc.) and the Autotomize set (Autotomize, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball, HP Ice, etc.).

~AoH

see we can't really take this seriously mainly because of your last paragraph. You spent this whole post talking about how people don't play this pokemon correctly then say "sets that i find useful" and the first one you list is the one you just were ripping on. but the biggest mistake of this article is calling kings shield the poor man's protect. how. this is a game changing move that is so OP that only one pokemon in the game has it so far. and also, who in their right mind would send this thing against a charizard, or anyone who had spa fire attack?

And frankly you are giving this poke to much credit in the way it is played right now;, it is easy to take out in one hit, specially if it is in its attack form. If anything people are playing it wrong because they trying to be to aggressive with it and are missing out on a great tank that has 3 immunities, 9 resists, and only 3 things that are super effective against it. but if it was in attack mode, and raised for attack or spa, this thing could probably one shot rotom, and if not easy 2ko it with a shadow sneak as its second attack.

this is a game changing move that is so OP that only one pokemon in the game has it so far.
I can guarantee that the reason that only 1 Pokemon has it so far isn't because it's OP.

And there are multiple ways to play Aegislash; not all of them have to rely on King's Shield. When it's sent out, it's in Shield Mode by default; and since it's slow enough, it can take 1 hit right away with those high defensive stats, before switching to offense after its opponent's turn, then follow up with a Shadow Sneak if necessary.

What's more, if after that Aegislash is up against something it can't handle, it's free to switch out, and when it comes back, it'll be in Shield Mode again. Rinse and repeat.

In Singles, King's Shield has two purposes for Aegislash. One is a free turn; the other (more important) reason is to switch it back into Shield Mode. That lets it take a hit and switch back to attack.
Aegislash isn't really meant to be running stage-boosting moves (like Swords Dance or Autotomize) because it can easily be scared out of the active spot (and, in the case of Autotomize, it's supposed to go last). That doesn't mean Aegislash doesn't have good typing (it's tied with Magnezone for having the most resists+immunities, at 12), but if you want someone to actually take a lot of hits, Magnezone beats Aegislash in that regard.

Heck, the only way Aegislash can tank is if you're using King's Shield a lot, and after a while that becomes very predictable. That's why people opt not to use King's Shield, and just switch out instead when things are rough.

shashad said:
see we can't really take this seriously mainly because of your last paragraph. You spent this whole post talking about how people don't play this pokemon correctly then say "sets that i find useful" and the first one you list is the one you just were ripping on. but the biggest mistake of this article is calling kings shield the poor man's protect. how. this is a game changing move that is so OP that only one pokemon in the game has it so far. and also, who in their right mind would send this thing against a charizard, or anyone who had spa fire attack?

And frankly you are giving this poke to much credit in the way it is played right now;, it is easy to take out in one hit, specially if it is in its attack form. If anything people are playing it wrong because they trying to be to aggressive with it and are missing out on a great tank that has 3 immunities, 9 resists, and only 3 things that are super effective against it. but if it was in attack mode, and raised for attack or spa, this thing could probably one shot rotom, and if not easy 2ko it with a shadow sneak as its second attack.
First off, I worded the last paragraph somewhat haphazardly. Replace "aside from" with "excluding", or better yet, take it out like I did.

You have fair enough points, but you give King's Shield too much credit - it is the poor man's Protect. The biggest reason aside from the predictability of Aegislash is that it can't block status. The -2 Atk reduction is too easily played around to hail it as an all-godly move, and things like Rotom-W could give less. If you call it gamechanging and OP just because one Pokémon gets it even though it's a signature move, you have my permission, but back that up with some facts.

The scenario with Charizard was where Charizard switched into Aegislash and took a Shadow Ball on the same turn, then was OHKOed by Shadow Sneak. Aegislash did not switch into Charizard.

Taking Aegislash out in one-hit is easy, true enough, another reason that the StanceDance set is faulty. Pivoting. Switching. Momentum. That's what Aegislash was primarily designed for. Aegislash threatens and forces out to stay healthy, and when it's threatened, it switches out with little to no impunity (who Pursuits what has Sacred Sword?).

~AoH

Wait, King's Shield doesn't block status? This is news to me; I thought it was a Protect +1.

I have 2 different Aegislashes, one is somewhat of a typical 3 attack variant while the other is purely defensive. Now the 3 attack one is the one I had throughout the game in general, so it will be redone at some point in time. My attacks were Iron Head, Sacred Sword, Shadow Claw, and King's Shield. It is fun for the most part, but Earthquake totally destroys it!

The defensive one is where I got the nature, EVs, and IVs in a certain way. It is purely a wall of annoyance for some people lol. My moveset is King's Guard (will replace), Substitute, Swagger, and Shadow Sneak. Swagger used to be Toxic until I came across a Mega Aggron and I couldn't poison the thing to kill itself and Aegislash can't learn Will-O-Wisp...guess that'd make it a bit too broken :p. With such high defenses, I set up a Substitute and an item like Leftovers just helps mitigate the HP used for it. Its alot of fun and no one expects that sort of thing...even if it isn't really good :p.

Back