• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Adapting Golisopod/Garbodor for Post Rotation

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Hey all! This will be my first post on Pokebeach.
I was playing the Golisopod/Zoroark variant for awhile and it was great but after seeing the Garbodor variant place 2nd at Worlds, I decided to try it out.
Well from my experience it turns out to be the more favorable variant, but I am wondering what I would replace after Sept. 1st.
Here is the list from Worlds: (red lettered cards are what needs replaced)

##Pokémon - 18

* 4 Trubbish 56
* 2 Garbodor 51
* 2 Garbodor 57
* 4 Wimpod BUS 16
* 3 Golisopod-GX BUS 17
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 2 Acerola BUS 142
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 3 N FAC 105
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Teammates
* 4 VS Seeker

* 1 Heavy Ball
* 1 Hex Maniac

##Energy - 10

* 3 Grass Energy
* 3 Double Colorless Energy
* 4 Rainbow Energy

This leaves 6 spaces, potentially.
Now my first thoughts are +1 N, +1 field blower, +2 guzma, +1 acerola, and maybe +1 grass energy/heavy ball?
Some thoughts on the replacements below...
- 4 Sycamore/4 N is looking to be the staple in all decks post-rotation.
- Guzma and acerola are the most crucial supporters in this deck mid-late game. I was always finding myself using VS seeker on acerola to keep golisopod healthy and relying on guzma to close out games or switch when they field blew all my float stones.
- Final card could be anything. An extra grass is nice in case I discard one early. Heavy ball searches for most of my pokemon, or maybe just another acerola.
Please comment your thoughts, and discussion on the deck in general.
Thanks!

I came here to post the same thread and you beat me to it! ;)

I was playing the Golisopod/Zoroark variant as well and agree that Garbodor is the optimal partner. Being able to shut down abilities and hit for big damage with Trashalanche really helps with Golisopod not being able to OHKO big threats. Here is my current list, although I'll probably make a few changes.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 4 Wimpod BUS 16
* 3 Golisopod-GX BUS 17
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 4 Trubbish BKP 56
* 2 Garbodor GRI 51
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Heavy Ball BKT 140
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 4 N FAC 105
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 4 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 12

* 4 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 4 Grass Energy 1
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I focused on making the deck as consistent as possible, which is why I upped N and Guzma to 4, added a second Heavy Ball to make sure I could get Golisopod and Garbodor pieces easier, and added a fourth DCE and Grass Energy because when I was running Naoto's exact list, I found myself whiffing on Energy more than I was comfortable with. I haven't played too many games with this list yet, but so far it's like 5-1 online.

I would like to add a third Acerola because of how huge it is in this deck, but ultimately decided on the fourth Guzma because I can still avoid getting knocked out if I'm switching around enough, and Guzma is just more important to ensure you're getting that 120 damage from First Impression. I thought about taking out one Heavy Ball for the Acerola but I'm still undecided.

Some other cards I wanted to add were a second Tapu Koko because of how much easier it makes switching things around with Guzma, another Choice Band because a 180 Crossing Cut GX can make the difference between winning and losing, and a second Field Blower. I just don't have the space for all of it, haha.

Last edited:
I came here to post the same thread and you beat me to it! ;)

I was playing the Golisopod/Zoroark variant as well and agree that Garbodor is the optimal partner. Being able to shut down abilities and hit for big damage with Trashalanche really helps with Golisopod not being able to OHKO big threats. Here is my current list, although I'll probably make a few changes.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 4 Wimpod BUS 16
* 3 Golisopod-GX BUS 17
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 4 Trubbish BKP 56
* 2 Garbodor GRI 51
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Heavy Ball BKT 140
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 4 N FAC 105
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 4 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 12

* 4 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 4 Grass Energy 1
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I focused on making the deck as consistent as possible, which is why I upped N and Guzma to 4, added a second Heavy Ball to make sure I could get Golisopod and Garbodor pieces easier, and added a fourth DCE and Grass Energy because when I was running Naoto's exact list, I found myself whiffing on Energy more than I was comfortable with. I haven't played too many games with this list yet, but so far it's like 5-1 online.

I would like to add a third Acerola because of how huge it is in this deck, but ultimately decided on the fourth Guzma because I can still avoid getting knocked out if I'm switching around enough, and Guzma is just more important to ensure you're getting that 120 damage from First Impression. I thought about taking out one Heavy Ball for the Acerola but I'm still undecided.

Some other cards I wanted to add were a second Tapu Koko because of how much easier it makes switching things around with Guzma, another Choice Band because a 180 Crossing Cut GX can make the difference between winning and losing, and a second Field Blower. I just don't have the space for all of it, haha.
I agree. It is going to take some testing and maybe personal preference on the acerola/guzma/heavy ball count. I do like the extra heavy ball/grass energy to ensure you get that turn 2 first impression. It is the worst feeling to get all setup with basics then realize you have no golisopod, lol

@HouchinsDJ I thought I would continue the "adapt from worlds" trend from seeing your other post :)
I want to discuss Metagross/Necrozma next.

I agree. It is going to take some testing and maybe personal preference on the acerola/guzma/heavy ball count. I do like the extra heavy ball/grass energy to ensure you get that turn 2 first impression. It is the worst feeling to get all setup with basics then realize you have no golisopod, lol

Yeah for real. The name of the game for Standard this season seems to be who can set up first, so with that in mind I definitely like the 2 Heavy Ball and extra Energy.

@HouchinsDJ I thought I would continue the "adapt from worlds" trend from seeing your other post :)
I want to discuss Metagross/Necrozma next.

As long as Gardevoir is running rampant, Metagross will have a place in the meta. I play Gardevoir and anytime I play against Metagross, as soon as they get two on the field it's pretty much game over. It does well against other decks like Drampa/Garb too because it can OHKO Drampa with a Choice Band and it's bulky enough to take hits from Garbodor, especially with its Psychic resistance. The only matchup you really need to watch out for is Volcanion variants. I like Necrozma in Metagross decks. It's easy to power up with Geotech System. I thought about trying it myself. I saw a variant where Necrozma was actually the main attacker while Metagross was used just to power it up every turn. I don't think that's the best way to run it but I thought it was cool.

Back