Discussion Acerola - Good?(Post Guardians Rising)

pokesage101

Is WishiWashi GX the new Darkrai EX?
Hey everyone! I recently looked at this news announcement:
http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/04/acerola-from-sm2, and Acerola reminds me a lot of AZ. Could this Card be as popular as AZ? Discuss!

Acerola – Trainer
Supporter
Choose 1 of your Pokemon with damage counters on it. Return that Pokemon and all cards attached to it to your hand.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

I kinda like Acerola more than Az. It gives you the same prize denial that Az did, but it also doesn't lose the attached cards, which is awfully nice to keep that energy and FFB you know you're going to want to use again.

I reckon that AZ had two main functionalities - free healing and abuse of play-from-hand Abilities, and sometimes as an escape route from Lysandre. Unfortunately Acerola isn't really useful for the latter two, as those Pokemon tend to not be damaged. It is a more viable healer than AZ, as it doesn't discard attached cards, although I think the lack of versatility hurts it, making it more of a niche and just generally less splashable. Perhaps there's a more defensive deck that could make great use of this Supporter, but I currently don't keep up with metas, so I wouldn't know.

Acerola is very, very good. She's going to keep Mewtwo viable. Few decks one-shot at 210 and Mewtwo can hold onto DCE, Spirit Links, and both Pokémon without discarding crucial resources. I'm really looking forward to using this card. She's gonna make Turbo Dark better. One-shotting at 210 is one thing, but one-shotting at 220 is another. You pick up the Darkrai, two Energy, and a Fighting Fury Belt or an Exp. Share that you can relocate to a different Darkrai, and attach another Energy immediately without worrying about giving up two Prizes. And you only give up 20 damage that one turn. This is pretty legit.

It's definitely good but it won't be coming out till sm3 and 3 months after that vs seeker will be rotated so it won't be good in standard anymore (unless a reprint of vs seeker happens). Still in expanded it will be a viable card to use with things like mega ray,houndoom,toad,owls, and many other big basic decks and grass stage decks

but don't you also have one energy per turn rules so wouldn't you waste turns putting it back down?

Not quite sure if I agree with that assessment, AZ can counter Lysanders and escape ropes more than Acerola and more often than not I would be using AZ on mon with no damage on them, e.g. Shaymin and bats

bbninjas explained this pretty well.
I feel, a lot of times, that people get caught up in the hype of a new card... and don't think about what actually makes it different.

I made a video on this (in my sig), but I'll briefly go over why Acerola seems a lot better on paper, than it actually is.

Acerola is not just an AZ reprint, there are a lot of situations in which AZ is better, and vice-versa.
One major example of this, is versus DecidueyeGX.
When your opponent Lysandres you up, and starts dropping damage all over the place, they will most likely not be hitting your active.
Sure, you could Acerola one of your benched Pokemon, but you'll never keep up with Feather Arrow that way.
This is not an uncommon strategy...

Acerola will have an impact on the Standard meta, but for expanded... it depends on the type of deck you're running, and what you're teching for.
It works especially well with Pokemon that are quick to set-up, but require a certain scenario.
For example, Mega Pokemon need a spirit link.
Specifically, Mega Rayquaza needs a spirit link, a DCE, and 1 other attachment (this could be done with Mega Turbo, Energy Switch, etc.)
In a case like this, Acerola works out, because you can realistically pick up, and set-up M Rayquaza in 1 turn.
But, is it worth it, to give you one less option against being stalled by an opponent's Lysandre?

That choice is up to you~
I think the card will be strong, considering how prevalent 2HKOs are in the meta.

Back