Accelgor Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Accelgor variants in the Expanded format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post deck lists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:

Accelgor Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 21
  • 4 Accelgor (DEX 11)
  • 4 Shelmet (DEX 10)
  • 4 Phantump (XY 54)
  • 3 Trevenant (XY 55)
  • 1 Ninetails (PCL 21)
  • 1 Vulpix (PCL 20)
  • 1 Musharna (NXD 59)
  • 1 Munna (BCR 68)
  • 1 Jirachi-EX (PLB 98)
  • 1 Shaymin-EX (ROS 106)
Trainers: 30
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Wally
  • 2 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Float Stone
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Silent Lab
Energy: 4
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Open Spots: 5

I understand that Silent Lab is critical to quite a number of match ups, but I played a game against Grass.dec where having their Forest of Giant Plants basically saved me from an otherwise terrible start. There were definitely Abilities I would liked to have shut off, like Red Signal, but the 1 Wobbuffet I've included in my list did just fine in lieu of Silent Lab. Fortunately, my opponent didn't have enough space to bench a Virizion because Wobbuffet wouldn't have shut off Verdant Wind while I Paralyzed with Accelgor. But this got me thinking about maybe including Forest of Giant Plants in my list in addition to Silent Lab. There are some match ups where you don't just loose without Silent Lab, and even the match ups where you do absolutely need to lock Silent Lab in play, you can maybe at least use Forest of Giant Plants early game to get set up faster and slow your opponent down. I'm probably going to cut the Tropical Beaches from my list because I don't seem to use them often enough, and when I do, I usually only draw two cards or so.

I've also thought about a single Muscle Band in the deck since it's just one card, and one is all you'd ever need since they'd get shuffled back into the deck when you attack with Accelgor. Its main purpose though is to make Shaymin EX's attack more relevant. I like to take any chance I can get to use Sky Return because the Paralysis doesn't matter when you take a knock out, and it gets Shaymin up off the field so you can either reuse it or deny prizes. It's also nice to OHKO things like Combee, Zubats, and Eevees early game when maybe you can't get Accelgor onto the field.

I've been thinking would accelgor eeveelution be a good deck hitting fo 100 and being able to both Paralyzed and make your opponent Poisoned seems like a good idea i've yet to test it out but seems like a good combo.

I've been thinking would accelgor eeveelution be a good deck hitting fo 100 and being able to both Paralyzed and make your opponent Poisoned seems like a good idea i've yet to test it out but seems like a good combo.

It's a possible idea, but here's the possible issue with that. Wile Flareon and Friends are good, they don't lock nor negate abilities and are more susceptible to being easily knocked out compared to Trevenant . They also will be negated by Silent Lab like Trevenant so their abilities pretty much go to waste. In order to get 2HKO's on some Mega Pokémon you need Muscle Band and then Flareon, Jolteon, or Vaporeon in order to preform substantially. Now I'm not saying it wouldn't make a bad deck, but it would possibly be a lot more difficult to make work and would have to work around quite a few cards in order to make it work.

It's a possible idea, but here's the possible issue with that. Wile Flareon and Friends are good, they don't lock nor negate abilities and are more susceptible to being easily knocked out compared to Trevenant . They also will be negated by Silent Lab like Trevenant so their abilities pretty much go to waste. In order to get 2HKO's on some Mega Pokémon you need Muscle Band and then Flareon, Jolteon, or Vaporeon in order to preform substantially. Now I'm not saying it wouldn't make a bad deck, but it would possibly be a lot more difficult to make work and would have to work around quite a few cards in order to make it work.

You do know that silent lab only works with basic pokemon so any evo stage pokemon like flareon jolton and Trevenant's ablity are still working and they don't have to be active (expect Trevenat) for the ablity to work which means you can still switch in to Trevenant. Also with this type of deck you don't normal want to ko mega pokemon because you want the Paralysis and Poison so then you can move damage around with somethings like dusknoir but i do see this deck list does not have any but it might be a good addtion. I do agree however with the clunkyness so it would be very clunky to get out but I think it would be very fun once it got setup.

Last edited:
The thing is that this deck doesn't really need damage modifiers. 50 is just fine with Paralysis; as long as you can stream Accelgors, you're going to eventually KO, and the Defending Pokemon is Paralyzed, so KO'ing faster doesn't mean much of anything. Dusknoir would help out a lot against decks that can stream non-EX attackers because it would allow you to keep your opponent's Active Pokemon Paralyzed rather than knocking it out. You don't give them a chance to swing unless they can break the lock, meaning you don't have to worry about getting too far behind in prizes, something this deck can struggle with if you don't set up well enough.

I suggest 2 Mew EX so setting up accelgors every turn may not be an issue. Also what about forest of giant plants?

I suggest 2 Mew EX so setting up accelgors every turn may not be an issue. Also what about forest of giant plants?

This is just a skeleton list. You can include those if you want, but you should also consider that Silent Lab is necessary for dealing with Keldeo, Virizion, and Aegislash, and so if you're playing Silent Lab along with Forest of Giant Plants, Mew EX isn't all that good. And you probably don't need Forest of Giant Plants if you plan on attacking with Mew EX most of the time anyways.

Back