A Whole New World — An Introduction to the Expanded Format

Discussion in 'PTCG Competitive Play' started by Ryan Grant, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Ryan Grant Aspiring Trainer
    Ryan Grant

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Nytttt, Starsoulklr and Globani like this.

2. DarkMatterGaming "Wait, he's not dead?"
    DarkMatterGaming

Huh. I thought Buzzwole variants would be more prevalent with cards like Korrina and Super Rod being legal plus the omnipresence of Zoroark-GX...

3. Expert_Occultist Magic card player
    Expert_Occultist

Great overview/checklist for new players! One thing I noticed is there's no mention of Garb/Necrozma in the tier list. This deck is at least tier 2 if not tier 1 since it has lots of room for techs for any given meta and uses mostly 1 prize attackers. It's tough to play at first but with practice you have an out for any matchup. It's also not seen much online but usage does not equal viability ;)

Edit: and I second that Buzzwole could use some mention as a deck that gets better with expanded cards

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. gumball51321 *thumbs up*
    gumball51321

You forgot Garb variants

5. Tapu Lele Responsibile for an Economic Recession
    Tapu Lele

Forum Mod Member

I usually pretend Expanded doesn't exist ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Shfinx I Solemnly Swear To Never Play a Meta Deck
    Shfinx

Thanks for this. Expanded is by far my preferred format. Partly because I don’t have many good standard cards, but mainly because of fairy box. It’s just so much fun.

7. HouchinsDJ Aspiring Trainer
    HouchinsDJ

I recently starting playing Expanded more, mainly because there's a Regional I want to go to in March and it's Expanded, and I gotta say that it's really fun. It was a bit overwhelming to get into at first because I wasn't familiar with all the archetypes, but now I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on it. This article is a really good list!

Camoclone likes this.
  8. AuraJackle Aspiring Trainer
    AuraJackle

Stoutland/Raichu/Goodra sounds like total cancer but why not play ros bannete instead same ability but not stage 2

9. BraviaryBoi Anonymus
    BraviaryBoi

If goodra hits the field before tools do then Garbotoxin cannot be activates which is the main pirpose of goodra.

Camoclone likes this.
  10. AuraJackle Aspiring Trainer
    AuraJackle

I can see you didn't read my post or look up ros bannete either way

Edit sorry I was so tired I forgot that bannete just ignores tool effects your totally right

11. AFEX Serena is too cute!
    AFEX

WOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE FREE PREM ARTICLE!
    THIS LEGIT HELPED ME SOOOO MUCH!

PLEASE DO ONE OF THESE FOR STANDARD FOR FREE, PLEASEEEEEE!

12. Carlton Roe TincanPichu
    Carlton Roe

What about DeciZoro??? I feel like that deck is a bit more prominent than something like goodra/Raichu/Stoutland... or is it more of a standard focused deck?

13. BraviaryBoi Anonymus
    BraviaryBoi

Too slow for expanded. Plus at least raichu stoutland wins games if it sets up

14. DarkMatterGaming "Wait, he's not dead?"
    DarkMatterGaming

What is this Raichu Stoutland deck you're talking about?

15. GamePhoenix Halfpop Enthusiast
    GamePhoenix

You forgot to mention my favorite expanded deck, Seismitoad EX/Giratina EX!

16. BraviaryBoi Anonymus
    BraviaryBoi

Essentially the key cards are
    Raichu BUS
    Stoutland BCR
    Lillipup BLW (which is stoutlands basic)
    Shining Celebi/celebi ex
    Goodra from some set I forgot
    Tropical beach stadium

Stoutland is a stage 2 while active prevents supporters from being played
    Raichu paralyzes when evolved
    Lillipup for an energy takes an item card put in into hand. You attack this way through celebi, which both cards let evos use attack from previous stages
    Goodra is another stage two that stop your opponent from playing fool cards mainly used to prevent Garbotoxin
    Tropical beach is you $200 stadium card that you play like 3-4 of and helps set up
    You infinitely paralyze/supporter lock while reusing devolution spray and vs seekers for stuff like Cassius shauna az all stuff to recycle Raichu a ability and not deck out while your opponent slyowly runs out of cards with no way to shuffle them back in and they can’t attack cuz paralysis loop.

Tablemon did a deck profile/games on his channel on this deck a while back

No one would ever recommend playing this deck costs waaaaay to much and can brick hard

17. Sup3rTaco Aspiring Rayquaza
    Sup3rTaco

As someone who just got into expanded, this is really going to help me out for Dallas regionals.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?

Moderated By

Brave Vesperia, Tapu Lele