Writing A Small Belt in a Very Large System

Pokémaniac

meow
Chapter 1

An evil man stood in a menacing stance, his Skuntank ready to strike. The man wore a thick, swimsuit-esque shirt with similar pants. The clothing was a navy colour, with grey stripes down either side. The man looked like an alien in his creepy attire.

Dang, I probably look just as weird. I thought, my body suit making me sweat.
The suits they made us wear in Team Galactic were very uncomfortable. They were hot and got sweaty in the heat, and I spent a lot of my time waiting to be out of the alien clothes.

But right now I didn’t know that I was buying into a life of wearing this crazy costume. Right now I was more intent on winning as many matches as possible, so I could get into the very exclusive group, Team Galactic.

Scratching my sweaty, itchy back I prepared for the next move in my battle against the vile skunk. It was large, with light purple hair. It had two cream-coloured stripes lining its spine, and a small head. Its little eyes darted around, looking at my small, helpless cat Glameow, then assessing the safest way to strike.

“Skuntank! Headbutt!” my opponent shouted energetically. His Pokémon pounced at my little feline, with its cute, springy tail trailing behind its small, nervous body. The Skuntank’s head landed straight into the side of the Glameow, knocking it to the ground. It gave a faint meow before dropping its head.

I cursed as I returned the cat to its Pokéball.
Another year now, I thought, bowing my head in despair. If I’d had just a little more time to train…
“Good game,” My opposition said cheerfully. I didn’t answer as I thought over a new training scheme.

I had to get into Team Galactic.
They’re working for a great cause and I want to help. I thought, walking dismally out of the battle arena. But they don’t want me!
“Hey, you there!” a women shouted from above me. I looked up in curiosity to see the lady was standing up on a small, metal grandstand.

She had purple hair, done up in 2 large, long buns, placed at the top and bottom of her head.
That’s the craziest hair cut I’ve ever seen! I thought, bewildered by the fact it didn’t all crash down on the women’s head.
“Commander Jupiter?”
She nodded. “Tell me boy, what is your name?” She asked, holding up a check board.
“Cameron Kingston,” I replied, watching sadly as she ran her pen in a straight line, right across my name.
“Better luck next year! Drop your uniform in the box by the exit,” She said positively.

I don’t know what compelled me to do it. It was my worst move in the history of ever, and thank Arceus I made it out of my little stunt alive. But there I stood, proudly shouting out to the commander.
“Actually, its not over yet,”
She gave me an odd look. “How so? You lost in the second round. You’re just not what we’re looking for,”
I smirked stupidly. “Let’s have a battle and see how “bad” I am then!” I stood there like a fool, thinking I was the best thing ever. She simply laughed.
“No. I have far more important things to do. Get changed and leave,”
“No! You have to battle me!”
She groaned. “Fine. But it won’t change a thing either way,”

She climbed down the metal structure and stood at one end of the large, dirt battling arena outside of the colossal, underground Galactic Base.
“Go! Electvire!” I yelled, my prized Pokémon coming out of its Pokéball. It was a bulky, yellow, human-like Pokémon with black stripes running along its body. It had two wires sticking out of its back, whizzing around with uncontrolled energy. It wasn’t a typical Team Galactic Pokémon, but I didn’t care. I just wanted to win.
“Go, Tangrowth!” Jupiter said gracefully, a large, sky blue mass of vines squirming around emerging from her Pokéball. It always reminded me of a clump of blue spaghetti. It had two long, thick, flat, vine-like hands sticking out from its body.

”Tangrowth, use Spore!” Jupiter cried, the tangled mess shooting little bits of flowery dust right into my Electvire’s face. Bam! It fell straight to the ground, snoring away in its slumber.

Dammit! Sleep always was, and forever would be, my absolute least favourite condition. It changed a game of skill into a game of sleeping patterns. I stood and watched as the Tangrowth slammed away at the Live Wire Pokémon’s back with its vines.

Finally, Electvire’s eye opened, and the Pokémon sprung to life. I cheered as it returned to its former glory.
“Electvire, use Fire Punch!”
“Spore!” Jupiter cried out desperately.
The fire lingering around Electvire’s fist caught onto the tiny spores and the battlers watched as the two Pokémon were engulfed in flames. They waited anxiously as the fire died down and revealed my proudly standing Electvire and a fallen Tangrowth.
That was epic! I thought to myself, smiling. Jupiter grunted as she withdrew the spaghetti monster and sent out her next Pokéball.

Out of the Pokéball came an average-height frog. It had big, yellow eyes and a blank face, with a large red bag hanging from its neck. Its slimy, blue skin covered its entire body, with black lines splitting up its body like an action figure. It had a long, red spike sticking out from the top of each hand.

Toxicroak. This will be fun.
“Poison Jab!” The commander commanded, the frog following her orders. Electvire swirled back and forth as the Toxicroak’s fist acted as the straw that broke the camel’s back. With a triumphant roar, the Pokémon took its final swipe before crashing its face right into the dusty floor. I sighed.
“Great job, Electvire!” I looked down at my two remaining options.

“Go! Alakazam!” I exclaimed, chucking the Pokémon out of a Pokéball and into action. The two-legged Pokémon’s face seemed an awful lot like a cat’s, with big, pointy ears and two long whiskers. It had a red star smack-bang in the middle of its head, and two spoons in its fragile hands. It was a dark yellow, with a brown colouring placed around its joints. It looked frail yet threatening.

“Alakazam, use Psychic!”
“Quick Attack, Toxicroak!” Jupiter interrupted, as the Toxicroak struck the Alakazam before running away. The Alakazam’s attack hit its target, but the frog was long gone.
I could’ve easily one-shotted it! I groaned, putting the missed opportunity behind me.

“Alakazam, try again!”
“Again, Toxicroak!” Jupiter laughed. But I just smirked.
“Shadow Sneak!”

The Toxicroak ran directly into the spot where the human-like Pokémon had been standing only to find a small cloud of dust. Out of nowhere, Alakazam reappeared and struck down the defenceless frog. It grinned before shooting a purple bolt of energy down on the Toxicroak. The frog laid down, non-responsively. Alakazam took a bow before running up to me for praise.
“Good job, Alakazam! Keep at it!”

Jupiter was perturbed. “You may just have this one,” she admitted, throwing out a Pokéball carelessly. Out came a large, purple bat. It stared me and my Alakazam down maliciously as it circled around in the air with its four wings.

“Aerial Ace, Crobat!” She ordered, the bat swooping down at Alakazam. I just sighed as my Alakazam instinctively knocked it out of the air with a single Psychic.
That was just a little too easy…
“You aced that one, Alakazam!” I said triumphantly, returning it to its Pokéball.

“Well, are you ready to admit that you Team Galactic people need me?”
Jupiter shook her head arrogantly. “You didn’t use team Pokémon. Look, just go away before I have to remove you,”
“No! I beat you easily, and you’re a commander!” I protested.

“Very well,” Jupiter sighed. She turned around and signalled to a small group of nearby Galactic try-outs.
“I want to see your skills. Defeat this boy for me so I can see how good you all are at working as a team,”
The group nodded and followed her orders unquestioned.

“Stop!” a deep voice shouted from the grandstand. I looked up to see a stern man climbing down to ground level. He was wearing a slightly different uniform to everyone else, with slightly different symbol placement. He had spiky, light blue hair and a wrinkled face. I could recognise him immediately.

“Boss Cyrus!” Jupiter said, standing straight. “What’s the matter?”
“This boy,” he said, turning to me. “Is exactly what we’re looking for,”
I was bewildered. “Me?!”
“Yes,” he said calmly. “You’re perfect for the job,”
“But boss!” Jupiter interrupted. “This boy forced me to battle him! Then he didn’t use our signature Pokémon!”

“Jupiter,” he said, turning to his staff member.
“This boy is persistent and a decent battler. If at first he doesn’t succeed, he goes as far as he needs to to gain what he wants, as he has made obvious in his short time here. Remember,” He said, turning back to me. “I don’t mind if you use non-Galactic Pokémon, as long as you work on training your signature Pokémon in the mean time.”

I was astonished that of everyone here, he chose me, a person who got knocked out round two, a person who interrupted his staff for a battle, over everyone else here.
“Thank you!” I said cheerfully. “Boss!” I tagged on the end.
“No problem. Stay here for the day. I’ll show you around tonight,”
“Got it,” I said. I ran off to the grandstand and spent the rest of the day watching the other people try out.

Thanks Prof. Shinx! To be honest, when I saw your post, I thought you were going to pull it all to pieces. (=P)

So I must be doing something right. =O

I havnt read in so long (year 5 or 6 (2002)) and I have trouble keeping up with my eyes or ill be reading and thinking about something else and thats an hour and a page later and stuff, But its really easy and enjoyable to read your FanFics.

I love your new sig, Prof. Shinx. =P

New chapter! Origin of the title revealed!

Chapter 2

After a long day watching battles, a dissatisfied Cyrus approached me.
“Well, boy. It seems you are the only one great enough for a place in Team Galactic today,” he said grumpily.
“Are you sure? I saw a lot of great battlers out there today!” I debated, not really wanting to get into a fight with my new boss.
“They had skill, but no soul. I could tell easily that they were simply in it for the Pokémon,” he stated sadly. “You, on the other hand, were determined to be a member, even when told no. You are exactly the type of support I am looking for,”
“I assure you, I will stay loyal,” I said confidently. “You guys are working for a great new world,”
Cyrus shook his head.
“A perfect world, boy!” he said ecstatically. “By the way, what’s your name?”
“Cameron Kingston,” I wasn’t sure how the topic hadn’t come up before, but at least he now knew.
“Cameron, come this way,” Cyrus said, walking towards the underground base sitting behind the arena.

It was astounding. We hadn’t gotten into the building yet, but already I could see almost everything inside. The glass below me was a thick glass, revealing the world hiding under my feet in full clarity.

Just down I could see a giant office floor, filled with people rushing to finish their work as the sun set and the moon rose to take its place. The floor was split into many small circles and bands, each with glass floors revealing the sleeping quarters below. Even from this height I could glimpse through an entire building, barring small little blocks which I assumed were there to give the residents a little privacy.

“This is a two dimensional replica of the Solar System. Everything is perfectly to scale, except the Sun,” he said proudly, pointing out a huge circle in the middle which ended in a yellow floor. “Those are the planets,” he said, directing me towards the other circles.
“That is the Asteroid Belt,” he continued, showing me one of the long bands, stretching around the entire of the Sun and the first four planets, before moving his hand towards a second band further out.
“And that, Cameron, is your place in the system.”

We headed inside, with me anxious to see my workplace up close. As we walked through the long, circular halls, I got an eerie feeling. The place was so quiet, I could no doubt hear a pin drop. The room’s ceiling was way up high, and I could only imagine the echo if someone were to talk.

“Cyrus!” I jumped as a loud voice travelled down the tall room. I looked to see an aged man, probably in his sixties, with mauve hair walking towards us hurriedly. He was wearing black trousers, a white lab coat and glasses with red lenses.
Typical mad scientist, I thought, as the man approached us.

“Hello Pluto, what seems to be the matter?” Cyrus questioned.
“Nothing,” the old man replied. “In fact, I came to tell you the pixie-storage device is taking shape. I think I may have found a model that will work,”
Cyrus grinned. “Perfect. How long will it take to make?”
“I don’t know. It’s completely different to anything I’ve ever crafted before,” he said.
“What are you guys talking about?” I interrupted quizzically.

“I almost forgot! Pluto, this is Cameron, the newest member of Team Galactic,” he said proudly.
“Hello, Cameron. My name is Pluto. I’m Team Galactic’s head scientist and a fair mechanic,” the old man said.
“Hey Pluto. What is this device you’ve been talking about?”
Pluto and Cyrus looked at each other concernedly.
“It’s a key part to one of the more… Secret parts of our plan,” Cyrus stated, dodging any words that would give me any information about anything.

“As I think you can appreciate, if we were to just tell every new member all the details of our plan, they may spread word and ruin the operation,” he continued.
“But we’re doing something great, aren’t we?” I asked, a little confused.
“No. We are doing something perfect,” he corrected me. “But you see, less open people may take to the idea of destroying and recreating the universe badly, as I’m sure you can understand. You wouldn’t want to think the universe was doomed entirely because of you, would you?”

He had a good point. “You’re right.” I said, abandoning the argument.
Just at that moment, a lady walked around the same corner as Pluto previously had. She was wearing the typical uniform, but her hair was a very obviously dyed red and was long and randomly flicked around. She looked kind of crazy, but in her own, sane way.

“Hello boss,” she said as she walked past us.
“Wait,” Cyrus called out to her. She turned around, puzzled.
“What is it?”
“This is Cameron, the newest member of Team Galactic. Can you take him down to his room?”

She introduced her self and we started walking to my room. She chatted about back when she had to live in one of the belts.
“And then one day, out of the blue, Cyrus called me to his office,” she said.
”Straight away, he told me I was perfect, and exactly what he wanted in a Team Galactic member,” she continued. “And how I deserved a new, higher rank in the team. And from then on, I was no longer an Asteroid, and instead Mercury, the lowest of all the commanders!” she said as we arrived outside the entrance to the long band that would soon be my home.
“But at least I had a rank.” she finished.

We entered the room and I was astonished by the room I had. Besides Mercury, I was the only person in the room, and I was certainly to be the only person sleeping in the room that night. Mercury laughed.
“You’re the first new member getting put in this section! You get it all to your self for now,”
“That sounds like a nice welcome.” I said.

“That’s your uniform!” She said, pointing towards a plastic bag lying on one of the beds. I picked it up to see the name “Kuiper” written across it. Mercury walked up behind me.
“Well, from now on, you’re going to be called Kuiper,”
“Kuiper?”
“Kuiper, as in the Kuiper Belt. It’s a big band of asteroids orbiting around the Sun,” she explained.

I opened up the bag only to find the typical Galactic uniform, a belt, two wrist bands and a martial-arts style head-band. I groaned.
“They’re really taking the whole band thing a little far if you ask me,”
Mercury shrugged. “Its cheap and it fits the theme. If it really matters to you, complain to Venus, the group stylist,”
“Group stylist?” I groaned once more.
“Cyrus has to have everything perfect, down to the finest detail. So each position entails a hair cut, and a separate uniform. Speaking of which, tomorrow you’ll be getting a hair cut from her!”

After a little while, Mercury left the room, leaving me alone in the giant dorm made to fit dozens of people.
“Go, Pokémon!” I whispered, releasing my team onto the ground in front of me. There stood my Glameow, Electvire, Alakazam and a Skuntank of my very own, as well as the rest of my team. Standing to the side were Stunky, a cute, miniature version of Skuntank with a much nicer look(and smell), and my trusted Parasect, a huge, red mushroom with yellow spots and four, bug like legs and a set of pincers with beady eyes that looked like glasses.

“Guys, this our new home!” I said ecstatically. They quickly settled in and I played with my Pokémon for an hour or so before going to bed. I stared up and out of the huge building at the star-lit sky above and prepared for my first day working with Team Galactic.

I read it, and it's good so far, but I noticed a small mistake. Cyrus called Pluto Jupiter in the seventh paragraph.

Back