A Shot at Competitive 5th Generation (Mixed Tier)

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Well hello there, everyone!

Alright, I want SERIOUS ADVICE on this team. I threw a team together a while ago and wasn't happy with the team or the advice I was getting. Please note: if you think this team is the worst you've ever seen, I've literally sat here for hours putting it together, constantly switching in and out different Pokemon and changing sets like crazy. After so much time figuring out exactly what I thought was right, I saved this team and would like to push it to the next stage.

Without further ado, here's my team. I'll post an explanation with each Pokemon and a final thought at the end. SERIOUSLY, people who read this thread, I REALLY WANT constructive criticism!

Inferno (Lead/Revenge Killer)

heatran.png

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Rash Nature
Flash Fire Ability
EVs: 56 HP, 200 Special Attack, 252 Speed
Stealth Rock
Explosion
Lava Plume
Earth Power

Heatran, in my opinion, is the most solid lead for this team. I need Stealth Rocks on the field, and I also need a serious counter for Volcarona and Chandelure (among others). This Heatran is obviously scarfed. The scarf is solely so Heatran can double as a speedy special sweeper. I need a Fire presence on this team, and with Heatran maintaining ridiculous special attack, being very fast, and having a utility move, I find this set very effective. Heatran also has natural bulk, which helps against many leads which are designed to do minimal damage. I also threw on some HP EVs to help Heatran a bit more with the defensive side of things.

I gave Heatran a Rash nature in order for Explosion to do a significant amount of damage. The best part about Heatran is it's ability to "get the job done" with Stealth Rocks, and Explode a couple turns down the road if necessary. Lava Plume is present on this set because of the burn possibility, once again making Heatran's support role more prominent. I have added Earth Power to take out an overconfident Chandelure as it overstays it's welcome. It won't be insanely hitting with a scarf, but it should still deal damage.

Flash Fire also helps against some of the new (and common) Fire-type Pokemon of the 5th generation.

Mosh (Mixed Tank)

reuniclus.png

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Magic Guard Ability
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 6 Special Defense
Recover
Calm Mind
Psychic
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast

Reuniclus is another great addition to the Pokemon metagame... and also very annoying. However, making a fellow gamer rage is, after all, the point of this game, is it not?

Anyway, Reuniclus is on this team to take over for Cresselia. It's much higher Special Attack stat and access to a reliable recovery move makes it all around better. While Cresselia overtakes it in both defenses, Reuniclus definitely makes up for it in offense. It can come in on, say, a Conkeldurr and set up a Calm Mind. When one Calm Mind is set up, Reuniclus is already over 300 Special Defense. It's Physical Defense will be around 273, and with over 400 HP you really can't go wrong. It can easily absorb, in most cases, both Physical and Special attacks while continuing to build it's Special Attack and Special Defense.

It also has arguably the best ability in this metagame: Magic Guard. This ability is literally amazing... it ignores all means of damage besides direct attacks. This means that if Reuniclus is Burned or Poisoned it is virtually unaffected. Hail and Sand will not affect it either, giving it a huge edge over most walls of the current weather-infested metagame.
I'm still deciding on the final attack. I'm leaning toward Focus Blast for Pokemon like Tyranitar.

Raptor (Physical Wall)

skarmory.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 4 Defense
Careful Nature
Sturdy Ability
Brave Bird
Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind

Skarmory really is one of the best walls in the game. It's ability to take Physical attacks like a champ while touting an astounding ZERO EVs in Defense is very impressive. It's plethora of resistances and immunities also makes it something special. It can essentially come in, Spike up, and Whirlwind the other team until something it can't handle finally comes out. If that happens, I have a number of options to react with, including the ominous downgraded SkarmBliss, "SkarmChance".

There really isn't much more to say. Skarmory is a very solid addition to this team, and personally, one of my favorite walls ever.

Hydronaut (Bulky Physical Sweeper)

gyarados.png

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Intimidate/Moxie
EVs: 156 HP, 72 Attack, 96 Defense, 184 Speed
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Thunder Wave

This Gyarados is essentially my late game sweep. If I can get 2 DDs up it's game over. Aquanaut is meant to be bulky so it can take decent hits while dishing out pain. I also tacked on Thunder Wave to lower the opponent's speed and possibly haxing them while I DD up. Gyarados can also come in against many common OU sweepers and at least get one DD. Stone Edge and Waterfall both have their secondary effects, which work out nice.

Now, abilities... I'm really torn. Both Intimidate and Moxie are very, VERY effective. I'm on the side of Moxie, as this Pokemon is meant to be a late game sweep. With even a single DD up, I'll have the speed necessary and defenses. If I can continue to get stronger and stronger as I sweep... that... that'd be pretty dang sweet.

King Gator (Revenge Killer)

krookodile.jpg

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
Moxie Ability
EVs: 108 HP, 148 Attack, 252 Speed
Pursuit
Crunch
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Not much needs to be said about this Krookodile. Simply put, it's best at it's job: entering the battle for a simple revenge kill and going on a complete tear. This croc ROCKS... seriously, I have had a ton of success with it. It's STAB'd Earthquake is absolutely apocalyptic when combined with the Moxie boost. Pursuit is a great STAB'd revenge-killing move, and Crunch and Stone Edge have also really come in handy.

I have to say, this Pokemon is definitely my new favorite revenge killer.

Joy (Special Wall)

chansey.gif

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
Natural Cure Ability
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense
Softboiled
Thunder Wave
Seismic Toss
Aromatherapy

This wall... rocks. There's not a lot to say here, although I will mention I'm running an Eviolite set. Honestly, I just don't want to use Blissey. I've run a Leftovers Chansey just fine in the past, but I think that the Eviolite really has potential, boosting Chansey's defenses over those of Blissey. I really think that Softboiled can handle HP recovery, although I might end up going back to Lefties...

In conclusion, I really think this team works. I've put hours of thought into this, and although I really am trying to plug the team as a working machine, I'm sure there are things I've overlooked. PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO TELL ME! I REALLY WANT THE HELP! Suggestions and modifications are always welcome. I want to hop right into competitive battling, and I think this team will help me do it.

Also, the reason I'm planning a team so heavily now is because I do not/will not hack to get these Pokemon. I'll be raising each one individually and thoroughly with no cheating.

Anyway, I hope you all read everything and will give me your honest thoughts.

Thanks and God bless,
BlueEyedSteelix :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sets that have been replaced with current members of team (for archival purposes):

Luna (REPLACED WITH REUNICLUS)

cresselia.png

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Levitate Ability
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 4 Defense
Thunder Wave
Moonlight
Psychic
Ice Beam

I needed a solid special wall that I had confidence in. I used Cresselia almost TOO much in the 4th generation, and I feel it's a very tough Pokemon that can, like Heatran, get the job done.

Cresselia has 394 max special attack, which I plan on reaching. In conjunction with it's 404 HP, it becomes a very dominant threat to special sweepers. However, this Cresselia also plays the "lure" role. What do I mean by that? This thing will force switches to Chandelure and Volcarona, two Pokemon with Ghost/Bug moves respectably which can destroy Cresselia. Now, what happens when this happens? I can do one of two things. 1) I can stay in and Thunder Wave either of the two to exceptionally cripple their sweeping abilities, or 2) I can send out either Heatran, Gyarados, or even Dugtrio for a (somewhat) easy kill.

Cresselia also plays very well against the horrendously overused Conkeldurr. Even though this set focuses entirely on special defense, Cresselia is also naturally bulky and can absorb physical attacks nicely. It can also deal damage with right around 160 special attack and STAB on Psychic.

Haaaze (REPLACED WITH SKARMORY)

weezing.png

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
Levitate Ability
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense
Will-o-wisp
Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Pain Split

Weezing is also an uncommon wall to see in OU environments, but I believe it is very effective on a team like this. Weezing has around 334 max HP and 372 defense, which are generally good numbers. It also walls Heracross and Conkeldurr, to name a couple, very nicely. It also packs Will-o-wisp and Pain Split for both residual damage and a very long presence in battle.

Black Sludge and Leftovers are virtually identical. Black Sludge is actually a great item for a predicted Trick. The Black Sludge will eat away at anything that isn't Poison or Steel (I think).

Fire Blast is meant to give Weezing a fighting chance at doing... well... anything, and Thunderbolt also adds some type coverage.

Dug (REPLACED WITH KROOKODILE)

dugtrio.png

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
Arena Trap Ability
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Stone Edge
Night Slash
Earthquake
Sucker Punch

Alright, honestly, I think that Dugtrio is still the best revenge killer in the game. It's speed will bar 372, which is awesome. I've always run a scarfed set, but I just don't feel it has enough power. I'm willing to run a banded set with Sucker Punch rather than getting super-speed. With the choice band, Dugtrio can literally execute Electric-type Pokemon with a STAB'd Earthquake.

Night Slash and Stone Edge are strictly for type coverage on Pokemon like Zapdos. I can steal deal decent damage and ensure a kill if the Pokemon's weak.

pokemasterxx

I reside in this castle made of sand-Mac
your team seems to be pretty solid
i cant think of much except for chansey you might wanna replace thunderwave and aromatherapy for protect and toxic
this will allow you to put toxic on your oponent and then protect every other turn and stall i have found it very effective on my eviolite chansey

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Thanks for the response, Pokemaster!
I will definitely keep your set in mind. If I can setup a Toxic on the switch I'll be able to start stalling right away. I see that idea going somewhere. :)

Hyperion64

Aspiring Trainer
I would switch the EVs on cresselia to 252 def 4 sp def. I would also delete ice beam for calm mind.

Zenith

||||
Quick note: Cress is basically outclassed by Reuniclus this gen. Cress is too easy to set up on due to poor attacking stats.

Also, Dugtrio generally isn't terribly useful, mostly due to its poor Attack stat.

Weezing is an interesting choice. I'm curious to see how this team works out.

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
I would switch the EVs on cresselia to 252 def 4 sp def. I would also delete ice beam for calm mind.
I've been considering that. I'm not sure if it'll happen or not. I might switch out Cress all together.
Just a quick tip after a glance, Weezing is pretty much outclassed unless you use Haze, which has a special niche. It's great against stuff you can't Roar/Whirwind, and provides a stat change blocker, always useful.
Thanks for bringing up this point, Hyperbeem. Let me ask you now, if I were to remove Weezing, what would I put in as an equal/more effective replacement? Please consider the whole team and it's synergy if you have any ideas, thanks. :)
Quick note: Cress is basically outclassed by Reuniclus this gen. Cress is too easy to set up on due to poor attacking stats.

Also, Dugtrio generally isn't terribly useful, mostly due to its poor Attack stat.

Weezing is an interesting choice. I'm curious to see how this team works out.
As am I!
Anyway, I haven't really looked at Reuniclus. Could it take over the Special Tank position of Cresselia? If so, how do you think I should operate it?

I still really think Dugtrio has potential as it completely traps anything you switch in on. HOWEVER, I've been considering a Pokemon like Krookodile with a Choice Scarf and Moxie ability as a revenge killer. If I can get it out on the battlefield and take out a single Pokemon then I'm able to completely sweep and become more and more powerful. Thoughts?

Thanks guys for the responses, I truly appreciate all the suggestions and help. :)

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Those of you who would like to help me out, do you think that this Reuniclus set would be a viable replacement for Cresselia?

reuniclus.jpg

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Magic Guard Ability
Recover
Calm Mind
Psychic
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast

I'm really trying to stay out of the Trick Room realm with Reuniclus. I like it's high Special Attack stat and decent defenses. I definitely think that a Calm Mind set could be very effective in conjunction with Magic Guard, but I do, however, have a couple questions.

Should I invest more EVs in Special Defense? Sure, this is a Calm Mind set, but I only get up to around 260 Special Defense with a single Calm Mind. It definitely will add if I can keep boosting up, but I don't know how well that'll work with Reuniclus' low speed.

Also, should I use Shadow Ball or Focus Blast OR an entirely different move?

Thanks everyone. :)

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Skarmory @ Leftovers
248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spd
Careful
Taunt / Brave Bird
Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind
Hyperbeem, how well does this Skarmory perform as a Physically Defensive wall? Weezing was all about physical defense, and I want to keep a strong physical monster on the team. What's the purpose of having special defense EVs on a physical wall?

Culex77

Do I even need to explain who this is?
Skarmory already is pretty bulky when it comes to Physical attacks. People invest EV's in Special Defense when using Skarmory because it lacks in Sp. Def so a Pokemon like Thundurus could come in and use T-Bolt which would knock it out with no problem.

Void

BlueEyedSteelix said:
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Those of you who would like to help me out, do you think that this Reuniclus set would be a viable replacement for Cresselia?

reuniclus.jpg

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Magic Guard Ability
Recover
Calm Mind
Psychic
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast

I'm really trying to stay out of the Trick Room realm with Reuniclus. I like it's high Special Attack stat and decent defenses. I definitely think that a Calm Mind set could be very effective in conjunction with Magic Guard, but I do, however, have a couple questions.

Should I invest more EVs in Special Defense? Sure, this is a Calm Mind set, but I only get up to around 260 Special Defense with a single Calm Mind. It definitely will add if I can keep boosting up, but I don't know how well that'll work with Reuniclus' low speed.

Also, should I use Shadow Ball or Focus Blast OR an entirely different move?

Thanks everyone. :)

It would be a very reliable replacement for Cresselia because IMO Cress isn't really all that great... and Moonlight provides for very shaky recovery in a weather-dominated metagame.

And exactly what are you talking about lol? The Reuniclus set you listed hit 309 Special Defense after 1 Calm Mind, along with 424 HP I'd imagine that would hold off most special attacks. Don't forget, you're not taking residual damage of any kind with Reuniclus, so this adds to the overall bulk. Plus you have Recover, so you can easily CM while talking a hit and heal it off next turn. This thing needs all the physical bulk it can get, really.

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Skarmory already is pretty bulky when it comes to Physical attacks. People invest EV's in Special Defense when using Skarmory because it lacks in Sp. Def so a Pokemon like Thundurus could come in and use T-Bolt which would knock it out with no problem.
I see, so would staying in for something like a Thundurus entry be exclusively for Whirlwind? Sorry for so many questions, I just really want to make sure this will work.
It would be a very reliable replacement for Cresselia because IMO Cress isn't really all that great... and Moonlight provides for very shaky recovery in a weather-dominated metagame.

And exactly what are you talking about lol? The Reuniclus set you listed hit 309 Special Defense after 1 Calm Mind, along with 424 HP I'd imagine that would hold off most special attacks. Don't forget, you're not taking residual damage of any kind with Reuniclus, so this adds to the overall bulk. Plus you have Recover, so you can easily CM while talking a hit and heal it off next turn. This thing needs all the physical bulk it can get, really.
Then it settles it. I will be replacing my Cresselia with Reuniclus. Thanks a lot for the response, Void. :)

Yeah, I forgot to include IVs when I calculated the Special Defense boost... thanks for pointing that out.

Do you think that I should go with Shadow Ball or Focus Blast on this set? I'm thinking Focus Blast specifically for TTar, but I'd like another opinion.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
It's not just for Tyranitar. Without Focus Blast, he gets hard countered by every Dark-type in the game.

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
I have decided to swap Weezing for Skarmory. Please tell me what you think. :)

I'm also thinking of swapping Dugtrio with Krookodile. I'll have a set up soon.

Ryukouki

Not Magikarp Bait
BlueEyedSteelix said:
I have decided to swap Weezing for Skarmory. Please tell me what you think. :)

I'm also thinking of swapping Dugtrio with Krookodile. I'll have a set up soon.

It's a good choice. Krookodile is a menace. There's a build out there called Moxie Menace or something, it's Crunch, Earthquake, I THINK pursuit, and I forgot the fourth move. It's not frail either, way better over Dugtrio. Run a Choice Scarf, and you'll have a nightmare dile that runs on 462 speed and can wreck most teams. With Moxie, you can pretty much a large amount of the threats that come out.

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Alright, to sum it up, I am having HUGE success on Pokemon Online with this team. Being very unsure in the planning stages wasn't the greatest feeling for me, but putting the team together and winning a good 6/8 battles was great. I'm definitely going to build this team on my White Version. Thanks to all who gave their advice. :)