Writing A Pokémon Comic by DoubleAACE

DoubleAACE

Professional Lurker
Welcome to Pokémon Heart Gold Turbo Lampshade Edition. Yep, that's what I called it. PHGTLE for short.

We'll try to put 10 pages on a post.

phgtle_page_1__pilot_by_azuria649-dbnk3e6.png

Welcome to a comic based on a speedrun of a game based on collecting bugs (true story). This comic is mostly for practice, and as such, there will be experimenting involved.
Clearly I need to plan these better, since I put a lot of effort into drawing Oak’s hand in panel 3, only to have it disappear behind the balloon. Sigh.
Oh, yeah, this comic was the first time I had ever drawn either of these characters. I wouldn’t recommend such a practice, since you’re still working out the specifics of the character from panel to panel. I think I’ve gotten visibly better at drawing Professor Oak over the course of just this page of the comic.
If anyone cares at this point, the update schedule is going to be whenever I get the comics done, although if I get stuff done quickly, I might hold some back so flow can continue when I don’t have time.
phgtle_2_i_am_i_by_azuria649-dbnyou5.png

I realise I should probably explain why I is called I. In Pokémon games, each character takes time to appear on the screen (I believe at the highest text speed, each character takes 1/30 of a second). Because of this, in speedrunning, with the many repetitions of the character’s name, it can save several seconds to give your character a single letter name. I is chosen because of the self narrating properties that it causes the game to exhibit.
How does Oak’s hair even work from side on, like seriously, I have no idea. Also, how adorable is glaring baby I? Not even old enough to have been named, and she’s already had enough of your ridiculousness. Or my ridiculousness, since I’m writing this...
phgtle_3_a_new_adventure_by_azuria649-dbod0qg.png

And so it begins: the grand adventure through the world of Pokémon! I feel like I and Oak aren’t staring at each other long enough for full awkwardness to ensue. Imagine that there are another three panels of them just looking at each other before Oak tells I she can leave.
For those who haven't spent an embarrassing amount of their life on TV Tropes, lampshading occurs when a writer calls attention to how odd something is given the circumstances within a fictional work, and then moves on.
phgtle_4_a_slow_start_by_azuria649-dbosdlg.png

Hooray, this page is basically 2 pages of content, but in one page. Because the first half is boring on its own.
The wrench is the symbol for the options menu, which includes settings such as the text speed, button assignments, borders, and whether animations occur in battle.
I think I'm supposed to ramble for a bit longer, so... Huzzah! Gradients.
phgtle_5_childhood_friends_by_azuria649-dbp7pym.png

And now we get to vaguely meet a somewhat important character.
That is all.
phgtle_6_we_re_off_to_see_the_professor_by_azuria649-dbqxnqn.png

New and improved (in my opinion) shading style.
Who could that mysterious guy beside the lab be? Eh, he's probably not important.
phgtle_7_the_lab_by_azuria649-dbruqbf.png

Overly dramatic Elm is dramatic.
Also, we now know why I was so terrified in the previous page: Elm was clearly far too intimidating. Messing around with a few new things, like the borderless first panel and had drawn balloons, I think they're neat.
Oh, I forgot to mention in the last comic that, yes, in the speedrun, the runner really does go into the lab, then exit it, and then go back in, presumably for timing on RNG manipulation. However, since we're all about rationalising that sort of thing, intimidating Elm was born.
phgtle_8_i_pick_i_by_azuria649-dbtt20r.png

Man it’s really weird structuring dialogue when you have multiple characters with the same name. Especially when that name is I, so in some situations a character could be referring to themselves. At least Elm doesn’t like the name I, and instead refers to the Cyndaquil as ‘Your Pokémon’. Also, in the commentary, I’ll be referring to I the Cyndaquil as Cy, since it rhymes and reduces confusion with the trainer I. For a recap of why things are called I, look at page 2.
This dialogue was really hard to write without Elm sounding sarcastic. Also, I know that I chose her Pokémon after Elm read the email in the actual game, but this seemed like the funnier option, I’m writing this, I have artistic license dangit.
When I originally wrote this, it was 2 comics, but in the interests of getting stuff out more quickly, I combined them into one big page. Because somehow making one page is quicker than putting the exact same thing on two pages that are half the size. IDK, it seems to work though. This will happen pretty often in the near future.
In my scripts, I swear that at least half of the panels that mention I have her glaring, it’s practically her default expression. Badass Cyndaquil is badass. I only decided to give Cy sunglasses when I was coming up with the actual drawing for panel 3, and wanted him to be a bit different from the Totodile and Torchic Chikorita (where did I get Torchic?) in terms of pose. And thus cool reclining Cy was born.
phgtle_9_introductions_by_azuria649-dbuebwz.png

New lineart style, and colour. I think I prefer it, we'll see how it goes. I think Professor Elm is going to need a new front door... meh, it probably happens all the time.
phgtle_10_telephones_by_azuria649-dbxey6s.png

So, while drawing this comic, Photoshop crashed mid-save and corrupted the entire file irreparably :mad: It was almost done too. This is still probably for the better. Half the panels have quite different art from the original version (which I may have backed up in another state, I’m not sure), which makes those panels (in my opinion) better. Such gems as panel 3 and panel 9 were significantly different artistically, and we didn’t get mom’s face in panel 6 originally, which now epitomises the mother/daughter relationship in this comic.
This comic also marks the first time that any of the runner’s dialogue gets referenced in comic, partially because Werster is silent for a lot of this run. Well, that, and the fact that we’re only four and a half minutes into the run (this could take a while). Anyway, this won’t be the last of his commentary that gets referenced, so look forward to that I guess.
Also, I’m at my parent’s place right now, and I get to use the spare computer monitor while I’m there. It’s so much better than drawing all of this on a 15” laptop.

Last edited:
This is gold - you've got some serious talent! Page 9 and 10 were my favourites, which I probably attribute to the colours and the varying art styles/perspectives, although the dialogue was up there too! For one, naming yourself and your Pokemon all "I" is ridiculous and absolutely perfect, and is already messing with my head. Keep it up!

If you're looking for ways to further your comic, I'd suggest adding a bit more background detail (and perhaps some more non-person foreground too). If you're comfortable doing so, you could also play around with the perspectives and zoom even more so that most scenes aren't mostly horiziontal/vertical and at eye-level. The Professor Elm scene page 7 used those techniques well, and I'd like to see stuff like that more often! Manipulation of perspectives in particular should make your comic more dynamic and keep similar scenes (e.g. entering and leaving houses) interesting. ^.^

By the way, I reverted your post back to the older version with the spoilers to save you the hassle.

Ok, this took forever, so we'll update a page at a time rather than every 10.
That said, here are 10 more pages.

phgtle_11_running_by_azuria649-dbxxb8l.png

AKA Guide Gent.

Yes, the running shoes just look like I’s normal shoes with a darker red stripe down the side. Because racing stripes make you go faster. Or something. Also, we get to see I without her hat, so that’s cool I guess.
I need to get faster at drawing.

This may be the most detailed artwork the guide gent has ever received. If so, this needs to be remedied. After all, we already have thousands of images of each protagonist, so why not divert some attention to minor side characters?
phgtle_12_maps_by_azuria649-dbyfqy1.png

Oh, look who's back.
I mean, I said he needed more screen time ;)
Also, comic 12, just in time for new years so you can make a calendar out of it for 2018. No, I'm not going to do it for you, I already have a calendar. It has birds on it.
Hopefully we won't have any month long hiatuses again, because that was annoying. We will have a bit over a week off in the near future guaranteed because no internets.
phgtle_13_a_detour_for_mariokart_by_azuria649-dbz78g7.png

Hey look, it’s another underacknowledged minor character. The apricorn dude. In the speedrun, the runner obviously knows what they’re doing and that this isn’t Mr Pokémon’s house, and visit the house because it’s quicker than getting stopped by the guy as they walked past.
Oh, and the whole MarioKart thing is because Werster mentioned that someone was the world champion of MarioKart while in this guy’s house. I presume it was someone in Twitch chat, but since it’s not shown in the video, you can’t be 100% sure.

A few interesting things came up while I was drawing this...
First off, it’s been a long time since I’ve had a ¾ or front on shot of I. Partially because I haven’t updated a lot, but still.
The other was that I accidentally started sketching with my lineart brush. And decided that I liked it and kept going.
phgtle_14_a_wild_pidgey_appears_by_azuria649-dbzx1sh.png

Our first battle of the comic, and it's over as quickly as it started. I think in the actual run int took two hits rather than one to KO, but then we would have just had a repeat of panel 4, which, while epic, doesn't need to be repeated.
And now I'm going to go be offline for a week, before I start work on the next page.
phgtle_15_mr_pokemon_by_azuria649-dc1l5bm.png

And thus both Oak and name jokes made their triumphant return, and this won’t be the last time we hear from either of them either. Oh yeah, and background blahs.

Originally, this was going to be only six panels, but I decided that I should make this more of a challenge for myself after having a week away from my tablet because that’s a smart idea and extend a couple of scenes.

Probably because of how abrupt some of the transitions were in the last page.

And then I merged 2 panels and was left with an extra panel at the end, thus the hug happened.

One of the really nice things about Mr Pokémon as opposed to the Guide Gent or Mariokart Dude is that he has an existing character design beyond just a sprite, which makes it a lot less work for me. Also, I just like his design in general, especially his bowtie, which makes him officially a cool character, and may have exaggerated a few things... But it’s not like anyone reads that one manga that he showed up in for like 2 panels so who cares, right?

Oak is sad because I interrupted his conversation so he couldn’t keep talking, and he likes doing that.
phgtle_16_batty_by_azuria649-dc2ey6i.png

So, there were going to be more panels, but it kind of got condensed, and the next page continues right where this one leaves off and has more than enough content on its own rather than being jammed into this one.
Professor Oak is really fun to write.
phgtle_17_interrupt_the_i_by_azuria649-dc30692.png

I would have uploaded this earlier but Photoshop decided it didn't want to export things.

I've been looking forward to drawing this one for a while, just because of how Oak it is.
Or at least, the version of Oak I've been writing. I'm pretty sure all the canon versions of Professor Oak are shown to be more sensible than this one.
phgtle_18_overload_by_azuria649-dc3n3ni.png

By the way, not all of those Pokémon you're supposed to catch are available in this region. So you'll have to make friends with people from across the world to actually complete your assignment. Oh, and some of them are only available as gifts from random people you've never heard of who moved on to bigger and better things in six years ago. Hooray for event Pokémon. It is possible, through the use of glitches, to catch every tingle Pokémon up to generation 4 in game by using a couple of exciting glitches and 4 games (Diamond, Pearl, Ranger and Emerald), although it would be extremely time consuming.

Since basically none of you were wondering this, the reason that Pokémon has an accent over the e in the rant, but not in the comics themselves is that the font I'm using in the comic doesn't have an é in it, so to make it (like I did in page 1), i have to type things without the accent, then put a `on a seperate layer, then transform it so it's facing the other way, and then put it over the e. Which is way too much effort to make an e an é.
phgtle_19_going_home_by_azuria649-dc4b6y7.png

Yes, that is that same panel as the end of the last comic. It was in the script, I had to do it.

It's all right Mariokart dude, somebody will have time for you someday. Probably. Hopefully they won't bring along a blue shell.

This took a bit longer than necessary to draw, mostly because I was simultaneously watching YouTube while drawing it. Mostly video games and unrelated art tutorials.
phgtle_20_____by_azuria649-dc4pnzl.png

Oh hey it's the guy from page 6 who everyone who hadn't played the Gen II games thought was a girl. At least some of them did. Also he's better drawn because I'm getting better at this.

This was supposed to come out earlier today, but I forgot to upload it. So it's here now. Imma try to make a Monday/Friday schedule a thing, but uni and motivation may get in the way.

Hey, first trainer battle of the run, in overly dramatic fashion. Also, Totodile used Scratch rather than throwing Cyndaquil in the run, but that's hard to make into an epic fight sequence, because Scratch is Scratch. Rocket Tackle isn't a real move, but it looks cool. That's my excuse.

Now to get back to Professor Elm's lab and find out what his problem is.

I love this! This comic made feel like I was starting a new Pokemon game and pushing a as fast as I can so I could just get to the part I wanted.

Yes! This is back!

You can definitely tell that you've been working on your style, Double. Nothing seemed to be repetitive this time around, and I found all the panels (and dialogue) interesting and fun to look at. Panel 3 on Page 11 is hilarious thanks to some rather effective positioning and posturing of the characters, particularly I's sassy walk in comparison to the gent's run. Overall, Page 14 has to be my favourite thanks to the mixture of perspectives that built up tension for Pidgey's appearance, setting a great tone for the first battle. ^.^

phgtle_21_back_on_track_by_azuria649-dc4zdw5.png

The rant has tended to be shorter recently, mostly because the long interesting ones were written alongside the making of the comic as ideas came to me, whereas the more recent short ones were basically written when I was posting the comic. So as long as I remember to rant as I draw, this should be good.

I knows that guy’s name now, but because of unfortunate cropping we don’t get to see it yet ;) Don’t worry, it’s coming, and when it does it will be an epic reveal, the scale of which has not been seen anywhere on the interwebs before. Ok, that last bit was facetious, but whatevs.

Aargh! Panel 6 was really, really, really annoying (gosh, I feel like Tabitha from ORAS now). Running and weird angles and ugh.

Ironically, given the title, I was sidetracked during the creation of this comic by a couple of other art projects. Both of which will be available Soon™. Somewhat related fun fact: the font used on the mysterious guy’s ID card (Gill Sans) is the same font family as the majority of the text used on cards for the Pokémon TCG.

Another 2:
phgtle_22_criminal_investigation_by_azuria649-dc5cs3b.png

!!!
Wait, this is only a surprise to people who haven’t played any of the Johto games isn’t it.

I almost regret the design of the policeman. Almost. Mostly it’s just ridiculous. Also, we're trialling some new techniques showcased by Mary Cagle in her awesome comics.

I just realised that I forgot to put a thought balloon in the last comic. Upon further review, I like it better this way.

Oh yeah, I accidentally came across Magical March, which is where you draw a magical girl according to a theme every day in March. I started late so I’m a little behind, but it’s amusing and something to do in short breaks.
phgtle_23___by_azuria649-dc5nkzu.png

Wait what? His name is ,? Like, a single comma? How does one even pronounce that? How does one write it in a sentence without it making a weird grammatical mess that makes you look like you put spaces in the wrong place, and have no idea how to use the English language? Damn you Giovanni, why must you name your son so? It’s not a spoiler since it happened in the past and Giovanni has no part in the Gen II remakes. Although my justification for the first point not being a spoiler might be a spoiler. Oh well.

The lines are cool and stuff ‘cuz I messed with my tablet settings and made it do pressure better.

Note to self: give the next youngster/bug catcher/lass that shows up freckles. The sketch of the policeman in panel 3 made it look like he had freckles and it looked cool.

And we're back!
phgtle_24_exodus_by_azuria649-dc60e2t.png

This page was going to be part of the last one, but I had part of the previous rant in the middle of the script and thought it was the end of the page...

Oh yeah, Ethan’s still here, he was just off panel last comic.

Bleh, I really need to upgrade from Photoshop Elements 9, it keeps on doing strange things it shouldn't be, like bringing up random error messages whenever there is text in a file. Which will interrupt whatever you happen to be trying to do at the time.
phgtle_25_the_story_unfolds_by_azuria649-dc6b1d8.png

Stop crashing you stupid program!

Oh yeah, 13 panel layouts are annoyingly complicated and time consuming, compared to the 6-ish panel ones I've had recently.

That's all I've got.

*flees*
phgtle_26_rush_by_azuria649-dc6oa6m.png

It's official, grass is annoying, both in game and when drawing.
Next comic will probably be late because somebody decided to schedule all of my assignments and tests in the same week :mad:
phgtle_27_capture_by_azuria649-dc7cprc.png

Would you like to nickname the Sentret you caught? No? Ok. Fine. Sentret will remain as Sentret.

So, this page got almost entirely rewritten when I realised that I had to draw in it a way that was coherent.
While we're at it, the sketch of I for panel 9 made her look perpetually concerned because shorthand eyes are weird.

Also, now that we have real Photoshop, instead of Elements 9, I can abuse all of the shortcuts that make life easier, and realise that the bug that made the colour picker take random colours from the Photoshop window was actually pretty dang nice.

I might go back to manual glows though...
phgtle_28_young_guns_by_azuria649-dc7nl9n.png

When I originally scripted this, well, Cyndaquil didn’t have glasses yet. So they couldn’t get knocked off by quick attack. Angry Cyndaquils are hard to draw, they tend to keep their eyes closed in a happy sort of look. Also, how does Cyndaquil learn Leer if its eyes are always closed?
phgtle_29_the_violet_road_by_azuria649-dc83t19.png

Phew. This was a lot of stuff to do.
Oh, and as intended, we have freckles :D
phgtle_30_entrance_by_azuria649-dc8bub6.png

That was just gratuitous.
phgtle_31_tower_climb_by_azuria649-dc8y5mc.png

Look who’s back, back again. It’s that dude with the red hair and the incredibly improbable name.

Apologies for the skipped comic, I was going to release Friday and skip Monday, but because of birthday fallout and being a musician at a really cool conference thing. Also, while we’re apologising for things, I’ll apologise for character inconsistencies and rapidly shifting stylistic choices. I’m working out what I’m supposed to do by trying a bunch of stuff and seeing what works. That, combined with the fact that the first time a character appears in the comic, it is often the first time I’ve drawn the character (not recommended).

I am ashamed at myself for not noticing the obvious Elder Li joke until it was almost too late. I am ashamed of my poor grammar in the previous sentence.

Until next time I remember to update this :eyeroll:

Back