A format where both players draw from the same deck.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone tried to play the Pokemon TCG where both players had to draw from the same deck made from a bunch of booster packs?

Here's how it works. The deck is composed of cards from, let's say, 18 booster packs. They can be from any set. There are also 9 decks composed of only one type of energy, meaning you have a deck that is only grass energy for example, or a deck with only fire energy. The game is played similar to the regular game, except that when you draw, you can either draw from one of 9 energy decks, but you can't do so 2 turns in a row, or you can draw from the master deck.

A card that tells you to search for energy in the deck instead would be a card that allows you to draw from one of 9 energy piles. A card that tells you to draw cards means you draw from the master deck.

Here are a couple of questions I ask you guys. What do we do with the discard pile? Should we have our own discard pile, or should there be a communal discard pile? If there is a communal discard pile, what you discard could be used by your opponent. The second question is, what do we do with Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pokemon? Should we make it so that if you draw one, and you don't have the previous stages in your hand, it is too bad for you, or should we do something else about it?

Maybe instead of drawing one card from the master deck, if you choose to not draw from the energy piles, you draw 7 cards, and you pick one of the 7 cards. You place the other cards face down in another pile to represent the "bottom of the deck", meaning that nobody gets to draw from that pile. If there is a card that requires the "deck" to be shuffled, that pile gets shuffled in with the master deck. That way, you won't get stuck with drawing duds just like stage 2 pokemon when you don't even have the previous 2 stages in your hand.

If we did it the way I described above, should we mix in the energies with the master deck, separate energies from the master deck, or should we, after separating the energies, split the energies into 9 piles, one per energy type?

I don't care what changes you make to this idea, but one thing has to be constant. The idea of both players drawing from the same deck, and the deck must be composed of 12, 18, or 36 booster packs as is.

Last edited:
Back