Art Gallery Wechselbalg's Pokemon Artwork Thread

Wechselbalg

brb
Hi there Pokebeach people, I just wanted to share a few of my pokemon related drawings with you - maybe some of you will like them.

tumblr_pielh5W07Y1v17j41o1_640.png
tumblr_pia4i0yNKp1v17j41o1_1280.png
tumblr_piyydrWhTX1v17j41o1_1280.png
tumblr_pieli5QItg1v17j41o1_1280.png
tumblr_pel6f0MsKL1v17j41o1_1280.png
tumblr_pf5muvrUBx1v17j41o1_1280.png
tumblr_pel6gciuRw1v17j41o1_r1_1280.png
tumblr_ph3wirg69u1v17j41o1_640.png

(that's me in the last one lol)

Thanks for viewing!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Oooo, Wechsel, I'm a fan! I've read (viewed?) a picture book (titled The Extraordinary Mr. Qwerty) that vaguely followed this 'weirding', cross-hatch aesthetic and I was quite impressed, but I haven't seen any pieces in a similar style beyond that. There's so much creative potential that I've clearly missed out on!

I particularly like how your pieces breathe fresh life into some of the less popular monsters. The Aromatisse looks like a mix-mash of a tawny frogmouth owl and my sassy little sister, with hilarious results! Fittingly, the chorus of Spritzee, Aromatisse and Nosepass appear to extract the same exhausted reaction from Probopass (nice attention to detail!) as my sister manages to extract from me when she's trying to organise my life. I also like the creative liberty you've taken with the some of the other monsters to give them their own unique personality -- and isn't Carnivine just a mood? My favourites would have to be the Probopass and Lysandre due to their expressiveness and careful placement / balance, although your self-portrait comes in as a close third just because it's very sweet and tells us a thousand words about you. :)

Interestingly, you've stuck to a striking monochromatic colour palette for the majority of pieces. Was the choice of red as a primary colour a carefully considered decision, or a more a random idea that just worked? I could see this developing into multiple different 'series' each with an emphasis on different colours -- one for yellows, one for blues and one for greens, as an example.

I also wanted to ask; how long have you been drawing for? Has anything inspired your work? There's this classic crosshatch aesthetic that you've managed to blend in with some vector-style elements, and you've clearly paid careful attention to the composition (especially the shape of the background), the colour choices and the other tiny details. Your style seems rather distinct, like you've developed your own craft over plenty of practice, and I'm interested to hear about your journey!

Just a recommendation before I sign off, you might like to put each individual piece into their own spoiler so people don't have to scroll down to so much. Just like this:
image goes here
Code:
[spoiler=Name Here!]image goes here[/spoiler]

Wechselbalg

brb
Oooo, Wechsel, I'm a fan! I've read (viewed?) a picture book (titled The Extraordinary Mr. Qwerty) that vaguely followed this 'weirding', cross-hatch aesthetic and I was quite impressed, but I haven't seen any pieces in a similar style beyond that. There's so much creative potential that I've clearly missed out on!

I particularly like how your pieces breathe fresh life into some of the less popular monsters. The Aromatisse looks like a mix-mash of a tawny frogmouth owl and my sassy little sister, with hilarious results! Fittingly, the chorus of Spritzee, Aromatisse and Nosepass appear to extract the same exhausted reaction from Probopass (nice attention to detail!) as my sister manages to extract from me when she's trying to organise my life. I also like the creative liberty you've taken with the some of the other monsters to give them their own unique personality -- and isn't Carnivine just a mood? My favourites would have to be the Probopass and Lysandre due to their expressiveness and careful placement / balance, although your self-portrait comes in as a close third just because it's very sweet and tells us a thousand words about you. :)

Interestingly, you've stuck to a striking monochromatic colour palette for the majority of pieces. Was the choice of red as a primary colour a carefully considered decision, or a more a random idea that just worked? I could see this developing into multiple different 'series' each with an emphasis on different colours -- one for yellows, one for blues and one for greens, as an example.

I also wanted to ask; how long have you been drawing for? Has anything inspired your work? There's this classic crosshatch aesthetic that you've managed to blend in with some vector-style elements, and you've clearly paid careful attention to the composition (especially the shape of the background), the colour choices and the other tiny details. Your style seems rather distinct, like you've developed your own craft over plenty of practice, and I'm interested to hear about your journey!

Just a recommendation before I sign off, you might like to put each individual piece into their own spoiler so people don't have to scroll down to so much. Just like this:
image goes here
Code:
[spoiler=Name Here!]image goes here[/spoiler]

Wow, thank you for the detailed response! Funny that you mentioned the blending of the crosshatch aesthetic with the vector-sytle elements, because even though I probably had tons of influences since I started drawing, I'd probably consider the way I draw a sort of mixture between Edward Gorey and the TV show Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, so you pretty much nailed it!

The limited color palette is something that I stuck to for years now. It's something that works pretty well for me personally.

Thanks for mentioning the spoiler tag, I completely forgot to use it lol, I probably should go back and edit the post. EDIT: I'm too lazy lol, but if I post anything in the future I'll put it under a spoiler.

I received "entry level" education in drawing as well as art/design history, but other than that I'm self-taught. I also had phases in my life where I'd have even year-long hiatuses, and I recently started drawing again in September after a one-and-a-half-year hiatus.

Wechselbalg

brb
Hey guys, I've been drawing pokemon stuff again, so here are 4 new pictures:
tumblr_pkblzrpsHf1v17j41o1_1280.png

tumblr_pkblw2aPHP1v17j41o1_1280.png

tumblr_pkg2okn9xq1v17j41o1_1280.png

tumblr_pkhzo9mGqF1v17j41o1_1280.png

Wechselbalg

brb
Four new ones!

tumblr_pkm3856ZwG1v17j41o1_1280.png

tumblr_pkr9ycjo4m1v17j41o1_1280.png

tumblr_pkr9zzgH191v17j41o1_1280.png

tumblr_pktl48KCs51v17j41o1_1280.png

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Wow, the detail in the bug catcher illustration is astounding @Wechselbalg! From the grumpy old Kakunas in the top corner and a Whirl/Scoli-pede rolled on the opposite side, to the assortment of butterflies, textures on the bark and the Bluk-berry lookalikes growing out from the trees, the image just feels totally alive. How long did that one take you to do?

Wechselbalg

brb
Wow, the detail in the bug catcher illustration is astounding @Wechselbalg! From the grumpy old Kakunas in the top corner and a Whirl/Scoli-pede rolled on the opposite side, to the assortment of butterflies, textures on the bark and the Bluk-berry lookalikes growing out from the trees, the image just feels totally alive. How long did that one take you to do?

I'm glad you liked it! I believe this one actually took less time than usual, about 3 hrs probably - then again, then block I usually draw on is small, only 170 mm x 240 mm. (That's 6.7 in x 9.5 in .) Thank you for the comment!