A complete newbie..

Aoki

Chronically tired
Hi there. :D I'm TyphloWolf and I'm a complete newbie to the VGC.
I play casual TCG as well as a bit of competitive TCG, but so far my curiosity heightened about the VCG area of Pokemon. I have Pokemon Black and so far have beaten all of the gym leaders and the elite four but now I've grown tired of my old Pokemon.
Here are my concerns: I wanna build a new team that will help each other but unfortunately I've not been exposed at all to the VGC so I don't know a single thing of how to build a successful team. I don't know the metagame, the current rules, pretty much anything that has something to do with the VGC. Also, my area only hosts TCG leagues, so my chances of playing against VGC people are very slim.
Any resources, tips and strategies would help and thanks for helping out!

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-question-about-strategies

This was a thread from way back in which a few of the more popular VGC strategies are mentioned. This isn't ALL of the strategies, mind you - there are still several more besides, such as Hyper-Offense or Trick Room. However, Weather control teams are definitely the most common.

Well Smogon, as usual, is one of your best sources for anything competitive battling. They have a lot of analyses and articles available to help you. With VGC, I've found that it's best to practice heavy and often, and to learn what works and what doesn't work, along with differences from the main VG. I'm no expert, but that is what seems to help me.

Once you get a team together, use Pokemon Showdown or the SkarmBliss server on Pokemon Online (mainly the latter). It will help a lot to get you used to some of the Pocket Monsters you will be seeing at the VGCs.

Try to attempt a strategy DNA listed, and then you can go from there.

Find some guides to basic breeding and advanced breeding, EV training and some pokemon analysis article after doing the first two. This should help you become a better player. Then, if you want to play competitivley go to Pokemon.com and locate a near by event/tournament (maybe leagues if they have them).

If you want to get into VGC soon, you'd better hurry. All the US (assuming you're American, if not sorry) are this Sunday. Google search VGC Regionals 2012 or something like that to find all the locations, and the Skarmbliss VGC server on Pokemon Online is great for learning the ropes.

Back