Discussion "A" Cards, a Sign for the Extended Standard Format?

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Professor-Sycamore-107a.jpg
Hello, guys!

Pokémon releases the A cards, or cards that have an Alternate artwork. These are the newest ways on reprinting cards from the older sets. So that means, if for example, a new Shaymin-EX (Hopefully!) gets reprinted, this is no longer a Black Star Promo, but instead, a "Sub-card" of the card from the actual set. So, Shaymin-EX's card no. will be "77a/111".

This new kind of gimmick kinda bit sucks to me, as a TCG Player. Because, I can't no longer played those cards for the future formats, and I have to adapt on a new one. (Well, things always changed, and so we are.)

This thing kind of thinking of a something. Is this the sign for the extension of the Standard Format.

You see..
In 2008, Diamond & Pearl-on format was lasted for 2 years until HS-Unleashed, probably. The probable cause of that is, most cool, competitive, and playable cards in DP to Platinum didn't get some reprint, like Legends Awakened Uxie, Great Encounters Claydol, Platinum Crobat G, and so on.. (Except from the common cards like Switch, Energy Search, you know what I mean.) If this kind of gimmick stay on, until SM-era. We will have a possibly for an Expanded Standard Format in August or in 2018, but it's too far to happen. Well see about that!

Are you seriously complaining that you can't use the cards that have been in format since BW longer? When I played many years ago, the best draw support was a draw three, discard one supporter called TV Reporter. We managed to play the game just fine with games relying on skill rather than who drew the most cards to nuke a mon. I'm glad these kind of card are getting this treatment rather than sticking around because I can't do another year with these cards still in the format.

I want to see the game go back to resource management and solid builds where you had to think about what to do.

@Mr. Rhyperior

I see this as quite the opposite of an extended Standard Format. To me, this is TPCi -sensibly- finding a way to release alternate artwork cards, that would have been Japan only, in the West without undermining the new direction for the Standard Format - hopefully one that's a bit more interesting than the EX era's Big Basics.

Whilst I feel this is good for the competitive side of the game, I do feel a bit for the collectors. Do they treat these cards as being part of the original set or file them away as Promos? It's a bit of an odd one.

When I played many years ago, the best draw support was a draw three, discard one supporter called TV Reporter. We managed to play the game just fine with games relying on skill rather than who drew the most cards to nuke a mon.

I want to see the game go back to resource management and solid builds where you had to think about what to do.

Lol.

Last edited:
Are you seriously complaining that you can't use the cards that have been in format since BW longer? When I played many years ago, the best draw support was a draw three, discard one supporter called TV Reporter. We managed to play the game just fine with games relying on skill rather than who drew the most cards to nuke a mon. I'm glad these kind of card are getting this treatment rather than sticking around because I can't do another year with these cards still in the format.

About my idea, I think about it when that A stuff come out. I also do research on the DP "STUFFul".

About your expectations on the future game, I am so interested on that.

By the way @crystal_pidgeot, you might be interested in this.

Jason Klaczynski gives a great account of the history of the game and reading that inspired me to go back in time and party like its 1999. Which I promptly did by proxying 4 of the decks. Besides the nostalgia, it's a great a format that's tactical, fun and truly dependent on resource management. You should give it a go!

By the way @crystal_pidgeot, you might be interested in this.

Jason Klaczynski gives a great account of the history of the game and reading that inspired me to go back in time and party like its 1999. Which I promptly did by proxying 4 of the decks. Besides the nostalgia, it's a great a format that's tactical, fun and truly dependent on resource management. You should give it a go!

I'm actually in the process of rebuilding two of my older decks I used, which is super exciting for me. A few other people in my area are also doing the same thing. Would love to hold a tournament for these decks.

Back