Writing A Beautiful Region - (Short Story)

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
I want to clear up a little bit of things with canon first. I imagined this as a story where Calem moved from Kalos to Alola in between the events of XY and Sun/Moon, and to add on to a small joke I made where I thought the male protagonists of XY and Sun/Moon looked similar. I also imagined this as Grace being Serena's mother, and Calem and his mother living separately from them, as I know some people believe Calem and Serena to be siblings, both children to Grace. I also don't know if it's confirmed, but it's heavily implied in canon that Hau lives in Iki Town. At least, that's what I wrote in. I also imagine the two regions to have separate languages and native tongues. I can't imagine French is a common language in Hawaii.
That's about it, enjoy.

Alola was a beautiful region, but it still felt empty. Things weren't the same here.

If there was one person that knew Alola, it was its champion. The trainer everyone wanted to beat, leisurely strolling down the streets of Hau'oli City, his partner Pokémon at his side, galloping through the mountains riding Mudsdale, or jetting through the ocean on Sharpedo. It wasn't uncommon for him to be stopped to battle by some trainer looking to steal his title.

He was proud of everything he accomplished, he had learned the region's customs and traditions, and been chosen by the guardian deity to begin his island challenge. He travelled to each island, beating every Kahuna, and eventually, became the champion. And while he did save the region from the invasion of the Ultra Beasts, the International Police wanted it kept secret. He laughed thinking about it.

He was still so new to this region. It has only been a year, and he'd already made a best friend, a team of companions, a fan following, and the most prestigious title across the four islands. He didn't even realize it was a year until Hau practically broke down his door to celebrate.

He was thankful he had Hau. The malasada-munching Alolan boy quickly became friends with him on their island challenge, sharing malasadas and sometimes battling, either just for fun or at the top of Mt. Lanakila. He didn't realize how great it was to have a friend in Alola until he thought of Hau. Sometimes he looked out the window at night in the location of Iki Town, or their Pokémon flew back and forth delivering messages to the trainers. He was glad that when he laughed, Hau laughed beside him.

The sky was a bright orange, a sign to the locals that the sun would soon set. He hopped on top of Tauros and dashed back home before nightfall. He opened the door and greeted his mom and Meowth like usual, and went to his room, only to see a letter on his desk.

It's probably just some challenge request, he thought, ripping open the top of the envelope and sliding the paper out from the inside. But this letter was different. It smelled... fancier. Like it was doused in an expensive perfume. The handwriting at the top was neat and elegant, and the envelope was sealed closed with a pin in the shape of a star, decorated in blue, white, and red. This letter was from Kalos.

Eagerly, he took a closer look at the handwriting, translating the Kalosian perfectly. He could tell by the different styles of handwriting that the letter had been written by his friends from Kalos, still using that same nickname they had been for him since they were all kids.

He missed them, but he was happy they were accomplishing their goals. He wondered if there were any Furfrou in Alola that Shauna could style, what new dance moves Tierno could pick up from the locals, and what Trevor would think of all these Alola forms to fill his Pokedex with. He wondered most of all, however, if Serena could really beat him like she said she could. He imagined the epic showdown between Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, the champions of the Kalos and Alola regions battling it out with their strongest teams.

He missed his friends. Alola was his home, after he moved away, but one day he vowed to move back. Maybe that day would be soon. He took out a piece of paper from one of his drawers, and began to write in neat, elegant Kalosian.

"Alola is a beautiful region, but it still feels empty. Things aren't the same here.

I miss you guys."

I wrote this in half an hour, but it's something I more or less thought about ever since the release of Sun and Moon.
If you ask me if I ship the male protagonist of Sun and Moon with Hau, my answer is no.

Last edited:
Back