5th Place Report in Masters--I actually do WELL?!

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
Hey guys, long time no see...At least in this forum. I feel like I haven't made a report in ages! Before I start the report, I have a few things to say; First off, earlier on I decided that this season wouldn't be a very competitive season. No first year Masters get into worlds, and I especially won't get in because I didn't make it when I was a Senior, so what makes this easier? So I'm going to be competing very casually, and if I win something, cool, but don't expect another first place Regional report anytime soon.

Last week I tried playing Terrakion/Garbodor. A lot of people hyped it, and I couldn't build anything else, so I thought it deserved a shot. When I tried it at the event, I went 2-4 with it. A pretty embarrassing record, considering I was expecting to at least break even. Two of my losses were against decks with Tornadus EX, a pretty obvious loss I forgot about. I also lost to a Rayeel deck because I got terrible draws, and against Aggron because my opponent hit 8/10 heads on Crushing Hammers. Overall, I was really upset. I couldn't play any of the decks I wanted to play, such as Mewtwo/Terrakion box, Hydreigon, or even Eels because I didn't want to dump my wallet on EXs that would drop soon after. Lucky for me, the tins were released early! I headed over to Walmart for the first time in two years to pick up 3 Mewtwo tins, and pulled together a Mewtwo/Terrakion/Bouffalant deck. I tested with it all night and really liked how it played, and especially its matchups. After a lot of begging, my dad took me for an hour drive to Miami for the Battle Road.

Round 1 vs. water.dec:

I used a single Terrakion to take out his entire field.

1-0

Round 2 vs. SteelEel

Yay, a good matchup! This was a downpair, so I had to win. He had quite a few dead turns, and all he could do is Catcher up a vanilla Terrakion and spread 30 with Registeel. He got me for one turn, but my 4 Switches pulled through for me. Once the Registeel was down, I stole the game.

2-0

Unfortunately, the guy dropped. Welp, now my resistance is terrible.

Round 3 vs. RayEel

Another eel deck. This is the harder matchup of the Eel variants, and I didn't exactly know what to do (KO Eels. All day, every day). I drew into a dead N, which gave him the chance to wreck my field with his two Rayquaza EXs. I feel like if I actually knew the matchup better, I might've won.

2-1

Round 4 vs. Garchomp/Altaria

I took easy prizes with Mewtwo early game, and by the time he set up I was too far ahead. He prized a Garchomp as well, so when he needed it late game, he was betting on drawing into it with one of his KOs. I helped him play a bit as well, but even so I won a close game.

3-1

Round 5 vs. Darkrai/Hydreigon

I made a pretty close shave here. I ran hot, with a two prize lead. I made a GLAP moment and Catchered a Darkrai, and burning a pretty big hand with Juniper. I didn't get the Switch and energy I needed, but that was for the better-- I didn't realize he could use Shaymin to KO my benched Bouffalant if I did KO the Darkrai, and Bouffalant was my only response to it. I proceeded to sweep his field after the almost-mistake.

4-1

Round 6 vs. Darkrai/Hydreigon

I swept his whole field pretty easily. I topdecked Switch twice after he tried to Catcher a benched Terrakion, and had one in hand the third time. Overall pretty sacky game on my part lol.

5-1

I checked the standings--fifth. That's what I get for beating a downpair that dropped :[ Ah well, still got CP.

Props:

5-1
Good.dec
Dad

Slops:

Bubbling packs
Misplaying

At least you got to go to some BRs. I only get to go to the Port Saint Lucie one...

Congrats on 5th though! It's good that you were able to pull together a deck.

Is Garchomp/Altaria really as bad as people are saying?

" Overall pretty sacky game on my part lol." Sacky? I don't even want to know! 0_o

Matryoshka said:
I decided that this season wouldn't be a very competitive season. No first year Masters get into worlds, and I especially won't get in because I didn't make it when I was a Senior, so what makes this easier?
I see you're still oozing with confidence! ^.^

Congrats on the 5th place, maybe not the best but still something to feel accomplished about if you ask me. I just happened to get my first 6 CP this past weekend, using the same deck as you to top it off. We should totally like chat and exchange ideas and talk about how awesome our decks are and continue to do slightly above average. :3

Brave Vesperia said:
At least you got to go to some BRs. I only get to go to the Port Saint Lucie one...

Congrats on 5th though! It's good that you were able to pull together a deck.

Is Garchomp/Altaria really as bad as people are saying?

" Overall pretty sacky game on my part lol." Sacky? I don't even want to know! 0_o

Thanks :3 Yeah that was awesome lol. Wasn't expecting Pokemon to be on my side.

And yeah, it is. I knew it as soon as I picked it up :\

Sacky = Luck Sacky

@Afro: Thanks bro. Nice job on 6 CP :3

Back