5 Gen Competitive Play

I don't think Inconsistent is broken. As I said, Haze, Unaware, and phazing wreck Inconsistent. I personally carry a Hazetoise on one of my DW teams, and it buzzes bast Inconsistent users without breaking a sweat.

The thing is teams shouldn't have to have a reserved moveslot just to deal with an ability If evasion clause is enforced then Inconsistent should be banned. Iirc I believe Acupressure was banned from competitive play at one time because it had a chance to raise evasion two stages.

Alright, I guess I can give out a new topic:
What is your opinion on stall teams in the 5th generation metagame? Are they better or worse? Why? How have they changed?
Just some food for thought, or thought for food, if you prefer.

Stall teams are probubly even better. The new toys they have recieved are a huge plus. The fact that you can now see your opponents team is also huge. This means there are less surprises and stall can almost automatically work out a plan to deal with the Pokemon your opponent has. Offencive teams are also quite frail and end up hurting themselves more than they hurt you. Constant hazard, Life Orb, and just general attack move damenge can wear the opponents team down fast. Stall and balance are currently the most succesful kind of teams this generation. There is also so much more offencive teams can be weak against just in general. It's almost like they are fighting themselves.

I've actually seen a decline of entry hazards in the new gen., at least from a professional's standpoint, anyway. With the increased usage of stall teams comes the improved handling of Hyper-Offense teams. They can predict even better than before, making them that much more deadly. Both sides of the so-called "spectrum" got a lot of new toys to play with, but as you and many others have said, only those who use aspects of both are truly champions. IMO, anyway.

I personally think that Sandstorm teams have new hope. (Sorry if this was brought up earlier, but tl;dr)

With Garchomp out of uber status and fun new abilities like Sand Strength and Sand Throw, they could just make a comeback. Doryzzou or whatever is an amazing revenge killer, and Garchomp can be very haxy with Sand Veil and some Bright Powder.

Sandstorm Teams were great before, and they're arguably better now. Players are just going to be careful on how they predict. There is a lot of counters out there for SS team main Players, such as Garchomp and T-Tar. Namely priority moves.

The big thing I'm looking forward to is Magic Mirror on xatu- true espeon is an overall better pokemon to use, but I've been wanting an excuse to use him for awhile ^.^

Argueably one of the best lead abilities IMO.

Xatu is pretty cool, and being able to U-Turn is a good asset to Magic Mirror. However, I personally prefer Espeon.

yeah, it's SPE and SPA are scary. Other than the color, my only other bias for Xatu is stab drill peck for dealing with Poison Heal Sub-Punch Breloom (my disgust for how good that setup is is unmeasurable- lol).

Plus Heracross and Virizion might stay/become popular.

I'm also looking forward to testing out new item's like Bull's Eye and Red Card :D

I'm looking for a good Klinklang set. It's my favorite save Hydreigon from this generation and want to feature it into my VGC team. If someone could give me a set and spread for it along with some matchups for the metagame, that'd be great. I still don't see what's so bad about it though.
~AoH

Here is an idea:
Klinklang @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
- Gear Change
- Gear Saucer
- Return
- Substitute

Use Substitute, get a Gear Change (+1 Atk, +2 Spd) and proceed to sweep. Gear Saucer is a great STAB which hits for 50 damage two times (breaks through substitutes). Return is the only other move in its despicably shallow physical movepool. The speed is to beat stuff like Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Scarf Flygon after using Gear Change. you can probably make a special set somehow but 70 base special attack is lackluster at best.

I see what they mean. But still, why not?

Anyone on Volcarona, Cofagrigus, Carracosta, Archeops, Bisharp, or Thunderus? They're all some of my options.
~AoH

^
The only one I have used is cofagrius on a stall team:
Cofagrius @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
-Curse / Haze
-Rest
-Will-o-Wisp
-Shadow Ball

This is a pretty decent spin blocker and it's great for taking out annoyances like CroCune by using Curse. A more regular status move is provided in Will-O-Wisp, and if you use that you could use Evil Eye over Shadow Ball. Haze is another fun way to eliminate status boosts. Shadow Ball is just the necessary STAB.
The Ability Mummy is fun against Rain Dance pokemon, Shedninja, Mold Breaker pokemon, and basically every Pokemon that needs its ability to be competitive.

Thunderus is awesome, nothing more to say. You can't go wrong with priority Thunder Wave or Nasty Plor, and his offenesive stats are good. The almost unresistable comination of Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, and HP Ice is devstating to anyone who isn't prepared. He also has fairly good typing, but there is that nagging SR weakness.

Thunderuous is alot more dangerous than people give it credit for. There is no safe counter to him after a Nasty Plot. Hidden Power Ice eliminates Latias and Latios so they can't wall it. Chansey and Blissey are your best bets to defeat this guy.

Sableye is an AMAZING lead with his new DW ability. I'll post my set here

Sableye @Leftovers
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
- Night Shade

With Mischevous Heart along with a great moveset to benefit the ability, Sableye has the potential to reveal the opponents team quite well if they don't have a powerful counter for it. Able to Taunt other leads by priority, there's no way they can set up their Stealth Rocks or start boosting their stats. If they're a physical attacker, just burn them, and when you get low on health, just priority Recover to survive more hits. Night Shade is there so you don't get completely walled by a reflected Taunt from an Espeon. Toxic is another option over Will-O-Wisp, but it just doesn't work when you're trying to wall physical attackers as well. The little guy is surprisingly bulky, and the only great counter to it is an Espeon or a Draco Meteor, but thats when you switch to some steel type.

Back