3DS Discussion Thread

Delta said:
Not releasing the smaller model in the US is really strange but I don't see why there is such a backlash. Not being able to buy a peripheral would never stop me buying a system. The kicking and screaming I've seen over twitter is so dumb. This being said however those coloured buttons really make my decision difficult.

The main reason I'm upset about the lack of a regular model is because I flat out do not want the XL iteration. I much prefer the smaller size and higher pixel-density. I don't know how many people sympathize with me on this, but both of those are critical factors in my purchasing decision.

As soon as I saw footage of the New 3DS from Japan, the regular one stood out to me as being a virtually perfect upgrade from my 3-and-a-half year old launch model: slightly bigger (I will admit the original 3DS is a tad small for my hands, but the XL is far too large), upgraded performance, improved 3D via face tracking (something I was really looking forward too), additional controls... and faceplates.

I was perfectly willing to save up the money and buy a new 3DS in a few months, but now I don't have that option. I won't be purchasing a New 3DS XL -- the size is just a deal breaker for me (you don't have to agree with this). I WANT to give Nintendo my money, but now I can't. That's why I'm upset.

I'm just hoping that people's theories are right, and they're just holding off on it (perhaps until next Holiday season) to avoid saturating the market and confusing regular consumers.

Auride said:
The main reason I'm upset about the lack of a regular model is because I flat out do not want the XL iteration. I much prefer the smaller size and higher pixel-density. I don't know how many people sympathize with me on this, but both of those are critical factors in my purchasing decision.

That's perfectly fair. It's just that practically every argument I've seen has been focussed on faceplates. Is the pixel density really noticeable? I wouldn't mind upgrading all the way but it's difficult finding a good resolution comparison.

Delta said:
Is the pixel density really noticeable? I wouldn't mind upgrading all the way but it's difficult finding a good resolution comparison.

The difference in pixel density is subtle, and difficult to notice for many people, but it is not a totally negligible difference. Obviously, I'm not sticking my face in the screen each time I play counting the boxes in the grid lines, but in many situations, especially with the 3D turned on, that bit of extra fineness can prevent one from being pulled out of the immersion.

In the more beautiful scenes on the 3DS, like the pre-rendered cutscenes of Fire Emblem: Awakening, it makes gradients just a bit smoother, edges that much finer, and in the standard 3D graphics the system makes its chief business, it reduces the effect of aliasing (the jagged, pixelated edges, objects in a scene have). Keep in mind, all 3DS's have precisely the same resolution, so the only difference is how big those pixels are.

Again, it's not a prominent effect, and if you don't already notice it, it's probably not worth bothering about. To me, it kind of matters. The overall system being too large is my first gruff with the XL.

I actually noticed the pixel density thing right away when I upgraded my old 3DS to my current XL. I still prefer the XL since I like large screens and I like how the bigger console feels, but it's entirely reasonable to prefer the smaller one.

I would assume Nintendo's reasoning is that they think this is going to be looked at as an upgrade for most people--and thus people want the most upgraded version, screen size included. It would also explain why they didn't put in an A/C adapter.

Not that I agree with the decision of course--there are good reasons to buy the smaller version and there are good reasons to buy the larger version. This cuts out a large group of people that have no interest in the larger version. I'll only be upgrading my XL to the new one since it'll be relatively inexpensive after I sell my old one.

Bolt the Cat said:
Meh, looks like 3DS really is in store for a boring year. 46 minutes of Nintendo Direct coverage and not a single 3DS game that wasn't a casual game or JRPG. Not a whole lot of variety in that lineup.

>boring year
>Majora's Mask
>new Fire Emblem
>MH4

okay, m8

Cinesra said:
Bolt the Cat said:
Meh, looks like 3DS really is in store for a boring year. 46 minutes of Nintendo Direct coverage and not a single 3DS game that wasn't a casual game or JRPG. Not a whole lot of variety in that lineup.

>boring year
>Majora's Mask
>new Fire Emblem
>MH4

okay, m8

Nope, not interested in any of those. I've played Majora's Mask before, and I couldn't get into it because the three day system impeded on the exploration, and I don't like a lot of RPGs so the mess of Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter and Etrian Odyssey doesn't do anything for me.

The lineup needs a big 1st party game or an interesting new game (not S.T.E.A.M.).

Fair enough. It's a shame you don't like RPGs that much seeing as how it's a big chunk of the library of good 3DS games.

In other news, I really wasn't expecting a Fire Emblem game before SMTxFE. I don't know much about Intelligent Systems but I had assumed they were fairly small. I guess they have a big enough team to work on two major titles or Atlus has been doing most of the work on SMTxFE.

For what it's worth, I made a bunch of replied to stuff about the new FE game over in the actual FE topic, since it seems like a better fit there.

Delta said:
Also that new Fire Emblem trailer made me think I should finish Awakening at some point.

You should! Though not really because of the new game, since they don't really seem to be related.

Bolt the Cat said:
Nope, not interested in any of those. I've played Majora's Mask before, and I couldn't get into it because the three day system impeded on the exploration, and I don't like a lot of RPGs so the mess of Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter and Etrian Odyssey doesn't do anything for me.

Fire Emblem is much more a strategy game than a role-playing game, for what it's worth. I can see how you might lump it in with other JRPGs based on what was shown in the direct, but they're very different beasts.

Athena said:
Fire Emblem is much more a strategy game than a role-playing game, for what it's worth. I can see how you might lump it in with other JRPGs based on what was shown in the direct, but they're very different beasts.

It's all feels the same to me. I played the demo for Awakening, and it felt exactly like an RPG battle. It may not be exactly the same gameplay but the RPGs don't really feel very distinguishable.

If i get this new 3DS and do system transfer from my old 3DS to it does the new 3DS have my old FC # ?

After said transfer whats left on the old 3DS?

Is there way to re-download all my apps to a new 3DS without a system transfer?

Whoa. Whoa hold on. Monster Hunter casual? I know that the series is getting easier, but if friggin' Monster Hunter is casual, what's hardcore lol.

I was thoroughly pleased with the Direct. There's the sucky news like no N3DS in America and... countless other N3DS issues. But on the game front I thought it was great.

ESPECIALLY A NEW FIRE EMBLEM THAT'S STILL [size=-100]casual[/size] AWAKENING STYLE. <3

Edit: And Monster Hunter isn't really an RPG, either. Not like the others you listed, anyways.

On that note, you listed three completely separate genres and lumped them all under RPG. Strategy, Monster Hunting (is there an actual genre?), AND Dungeon-Crawling.

I'm glad I've learned to love so many different genres. :p

What is with the new coming without a charger? Id this true? I saw this in another post here on the forum so I thought I'd ask if this was true?:)

Yeah, no New 3DS's will come with a charger.

It's because uh.. Um... I got nothing. It's because who knows.

Why in the world would they do this and how do we get a charger or does the same on from the regular 3DS work or can we use a cellphone charger to charge the battery or is it charged another type of way now?:)

My theory is that Nintendo assumes most people getting the New 3DS are upgrading old ones, and thus they won't need a charger. They assume that if people were getting a DS for the first time, they would have bought one over the holidays. Of course it's stupid because people might have waited out the holidays in anticipation of the new 3DS being released in the US, but oh well.

Yeah I am not very happy with the way Nintendo is doing things now. If my brother heard about this he would be outraged and he would be talking to the president to have that reversed. He works in R & D (Research & Development) for the big systems like the Wii U but not the handheld systems. He would be flipping a fit for sure.:)

I didn't actually think that was a new thing, to be honest. Both of the 3DSXLs that my husband and I share did not come with chargers. We purchased one at the same time with the first 3DSXL and so now we have one charger for both systems, which works out fine.

SotS said:
And Monster Hunter isn't really an RPG, either. Not like the others you listed, anyways.

It's an Action RPG. A different subgenre, but still an RPG.

SotS said:
On that note, you listed three completely separate genres and lumped them all under RPG. Strategy, Monster Hunting (is there an actual genre?), AND Dungeon-Crawling.

Again, those are subgenres, they're all still RPGs, the same gameplay style with different emphases. That's not variety. The Wii U's lineup is a better example of variety, we have platformers (Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker, Kirby and the Rainbow's Curse technically is), an RPG (Xenoblade Chronicles X), an action adventure game (Zelda), a shooter (Splatoon), a party game (Mario Party 10), etc. The games all have completely different gameplay styles and different goals in mind.

RPG covers such a wide spec of games that saying you don't like RPGs is rather short-sighted. Even Pokemon can be considered a RPG if you look at it on the basic level. Play as someone else through some storyline or lore, gear up, kill bosses or other players. This sentence can describe half the games in existence in a nutshell.

Back