News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
... still waiting for GENERATIONS booster box.
**cries violently**

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
The weird thing for me? Gen I wins out not because of nostalgia, but because I can forgive what I consider flaws in the game from that time period. I mean design decisions that had to be done because the ol' Game Boy couldn't do more than that (for the video games), and not having over a decade of knowledge about how people really play (for the TCG), etc.

That being said, I too am happy this should cap off the "sort of retro" sets... because XY: Evolutions will be more disappointing for me than Generations, because XY: Evolutions will be a "real" set. A real set with cards inspired by their Base Set counterparts, but apparently not inspired to also be worth playing. ;)

I feel its important to put the blame on the Pokemon that need it. Its not that people are tired of Gen One pandering, like was said. I think people are just tired of Charizard and to an lesser extent Blastoise and Venusaur/Mewtwo, who were the only ones 'pushed' hard. I don't think its fair to say gen one is being forced on people when these 4 are the offenders. I know for a fact you would love a Snorlax EX and I want you to have that, just like I know people gen 1 Pokemon they love to be the ones getting the spotlight in a gen one pandering set.

I for one am looking forward to owning that Zapdos reprint and hope I can get that one Pokemon I'm not allowed to mention.:cool::rolleyes:

Otaku

The wise fool?
I feel its important to put the blame on the Pokemon that need it. Its not that people are tired of Gen One pandering, like was said. I think people are just tired of Charizard and to an lesser extent Blastoise and Venusaur/Mewtwo, who were the only ones 'pushed' hard. I don't think its fair to say gen one is being forced on people when these 4 are the offenders. I know for a fact you would love a Snorlax EX and I want you to have that, just like I know people gen 1 Pokemon they love to be the ones getting the spotlight in a gen one pandering set.

I for one am looking forward to owning that Zapdos reprint and hope I can get that one Pokemon I'm not allowed to mention.:cool::rolleyes:

While I do indeed love me some Snorlax cards (hypothetical Pokémon-EX version or otherwise), out of the ones you just listed, I'm only kind of sick of Charizard.

Freeza as a Pokémon Mewtwo is still awesome! XD

Though to emphasize what I was saying, in the end even over represented cards like another Charizard are only an issue for me because I know the designers aren't going to finally make Evolving Basics and Evolving Stage 1 cards a worthwhile base for their Evolutions, plus even some of the Basics that will get a nod are likely to be "filler" at this rate. I mean they went to the trouble of giving Rattata a solid Ability, but robbed it of its free Retreat for a mere +10 HP and dropped its damage output by 10 (you know, after 20 years of power creep stat inflation!).

Edit: I mean if these were really good, well made cards, while I know you'd still want a new Pidgeot or Pidgeot-EX, one step closer, amiright? ;)

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
While I do indeed love me some Snorlax cards (hypothetical Pokémon-EX version or otherwise), out of the ones you just listed, I'm only kind of sick of Charizard.

Freeza as a Pokémon Mewtwo is still awesome! XD

Though to emphasize what I was saying, in the end even over represented cards like another Charizard are only an issue for me because I know the designers aren't going to finally make Evolving Basics and Evolving Stage 1 cards a worthwhile base for their Evolutions, plus even some of the Basics that will get a nod are likely to be "filler" at this rate. I mean they went to the trouble of giving Rattata a solid Ability, but robbed it of its free Retreat for a mere +10 HP and dropped its damage output by 10 (you know, after 20 years of power creep stat inflation!).

Edit: I mean if these were really good, well made cards, while I know you'd still want a new Pidgeot or Pidgeot-EX, one step closer, amiright? ;)

That is true, I just think people are tired of Charizard but I should be careful or I'll get in trouble for spreading Charizard hate again.;) Rattata did get hit hard. In a format with Garbodor, they give it an ability that discards tools, which Garbodor laughs at and to add insult to injury, it has to be active. Its like a joke or something. That ability should be on a trainer or something.

As for Snorlax, thats the kind of throwback we want from this set, not 3 to 4 new Charizard cards that people don't want and what Pokemon is that?:D

Don Pianta

Old man
Really hoping this doesn't exemplify how the western version of Evolutions ends up, all they would've had to do to make the reference obvious is make the background a solid blue color, but they couldn't even do that.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Being a child of the late 80s and the 90s, I can't tell ya how much I was geeking out when I saw the booster pack images matching the old Base Set packs. I think even the Raichu's pose is kinda reminiscent of one of the old cards, though it might be my mind playing tricks on me (It just kinda reminds me a little of the First Movie Pikachu promo)

I'm so sorely tempted to buy a box of Evolutions when it comes out, the last time I brought a whole box was one of the BW sets, but I'm a massive sucker for nostalgia and retro stuff. (Seriously, some of my decks that I run have the Base Set energy cards and Switch cards)

PhazonFox

Aspiring Trainer
Those Misty sleeves are amazing. If they don't come to the States (which they probably won't because we're too prude for bikinis) I'll strongly consider importing.

And that Mew coin!!
From What page could i import those Charizard Sleeves?

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
I hope that gen 2 will someday get all the attention Gen 1 is this year. Probably not, because they think that EVERYONE WHO PLAYSS POKEMON STARTED OUT WITH GEN 1

More on the lines of 'Most people who were into Pokemon when it was a fad left after Gen One'. Most of use that have been buying Pokemon product will still keep doing so during the 20th anniversary but to get more people it they've gone with the original games by releasing them again for the 3DS. Gen One is what most not current Pokemon fans remember Gen One the most so for say X and Y advertising with the Mega Versions of the Starters in an attempt to bring them back.

For me what reignited my passion for the franchise was Gen Five.

thewileycoyote

Aspiring Trainer
From What page could i import those Charizard Sleeves?

You are going to have to buy them from Ebay or another 3rd party seller. All those sleeves should be Pokemon Center exclusive. You are going to be looking at around $16 US shipped for them when they are released.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Ok, these sleeves will absolutely be mine, and I absolutely want those badge cards!!! Hope they will print them here in the west!!

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
This better give us the Gym Badge cards in English. I was really upset that we never got the Hoenn ones. This needs to happen, get on it TPCi