News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

Oak's Hint is garbage. 0/10 Would not play. inb4 full art :(

I love these reprints, and hope to see breaks and EX in this format,
but does no one think that the "Basic" location is just hideous? (Look at Pikachu's card)

I can't wait for these cards on English side,
because of common holos!

Professor Oak is very bad, but I have an idea for a card to make up for it.

Professor Oak's -Insert Pokemon-

Ability: When you end your turn after using a supporter, this Pokémon's attacks do (~)100+ more damage during your next turn.

seriously how does [R] stand for "Fire Energy"?
or does the TCG use a different workd for fire?

Professor Oak is very bad, but I have an idea for a card to make up for it.

Professor Oak's -Insert Pokemon-

Ability: When you end your turn after using a supporter, this Pokémon's attacks do (~)100+ more damage during your next turn.
well the new oak isnt that great but the old oak was broken. in the TCG virtual console game I used it even as the last card in my hand giving me 7 cards at no cost

Last edited by a moderator:
seriously how does [R] stand for "Fire Energy"?
or does the TCG use a different workd for fire?

[F] is commonly used for Fighting Energy. So they just used the next consonant in the word Fire. Also Fairy is [Y] that doesn't really make sense either...

well the new oak isnt that great but the old oak was broken. in the TCG virtual console game I used it even as the last card in my hand giving me 7 cards at no cost

I don't know a lot about the old TCG, but the trainers from back then look crazy XD Computer search wasn't even an Ace Spec...

Computer search wasn't even an Ace Spec

what IS an ace spec in the first place? sorry the latest cards I played were DP and I am not english and due to the fact that localization isnt translation, well...

but why not just write "4x Fire" or use straight out use the symbols (or open alternatives) and then you could add as title/alt tag of the image the type name which makes it easier to understand even for disabled and/or foreign people

what IS an ace spec in the first place? sorry the latest cards I played were DP and I am not english and due to the fact that localization isnt translation, well...

but why not just write "4x Fire" or use straight out use the symbols (or open alternatives) and then you could add as title/alt tag of the image the type name which makes it easier to understand even for disabled and/or foreign people

Well if you haven't looked it up already. Ace Spec cards are rare cards from the Plasma series. They're very powerful trainers but you could only have a single copy in your deck. Computer Search is an popular example.

I think energies are pronounced as [C] because it looks neat and is easy to write down. There's always a corresponding picture of the card so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which type is in question. Though I do like the idea of small images as symbols. That would be more of an effort for the authors.

@Water Pokémon Master

I thought the card templates would be updated for the XY era (as per a previous news story on the XY Evolutions set). Does this announcement prove that's not the case?

Keep in mind that the Japanese set is not the same as the English set. These designs are based off of the Japanese Base Set designs which were much different than the ones released in English, so it is probable that the designs will be changed significantly for the English release. Whether those designs will be more like current XY sets, more like Base Set design, or a mixture of the two is something we won't know until we see the first English Evolutions cards. :)

Well if you haven't looked it up already. Ace Spec cards are rare cards from the Plasma series. They're very powerful trainers but you could only have a single copy in your deck. Computer Search is an popular example.

so long story short this is essentially the trainer card form of pokemon star?

but computer search isnt even THAT strong I mean you need to discard 2 cards to search one. this isnt like draw 7 at potentially no cost, especially in the later game where there are less cards in the deck.

A more playable remake of the Base Set Arcanine would thrill me.

What are the chances Japans's Arcanine Break promo makes it into our English Evolutions set? That would mean an arcanine reprint. But do Japanese promos get English'd that quickly?

Last edited:
I dunno how base set arcanine is but you could literally say that ANY remake of ANY base set card makes it more playable because pokemon like the stupid idea of killing off old cards.

so long story short this is essentially the trainer card form of pokemon star?

but computer search isnt even THAT strong I mean you need to discard 2 cards to search one. this isnt like draw 7 at potentially no cost, especially in the later game where there are less cards in the deck.

That's exactly the same card but without the number restriction. What made the Ace Spec so popular was the lack of alternative cards that could search your deck for a specific card of any kind. Skyla (a supporter) can be used multiple times but only for trainers. Also having to discard 2 cards isn't usually a concern. It can even be used in your advantage in combination of VS Seeker, Mega Turbo etc. But Computer Search is only meant as an additional search tech to increase utility. It doesn't really add or replace anything in the draw engine.

Anyway I'm all in for new original trainer cards... These remakes aren't really my thing as they don't seem to fit well with this new meta game.

Keep in mind that the Japanese set is not the same as the English set. These designs are based off of the Japanese Base Set designs which were much different than the ones released in English, so it is probable that the designs will be changed significantly for the English release. Whether those designs will be more like current XY sets, more like Base Set design, or a mixture of the two is something we won't know until we see the first English Evolutions cards. :)

Good point - thanks for the response!

I love how the old Poke Powers are stylized on the cards. I wouldn't be adverse to the old templates at all!

Oh my if they keep the golden border instead of the bizarre dull yellow one on the english set I'm gonna buy these packs infinitely!

Like others, I hope they do the Megas and Full Arts using these blanks. Also, getting some Vending Machine exclusives would be amazing! This set is what Generations should've been.

I'm not sure I like the Basic Pokémon header, but these are pretty sweet. I wonder if they'll eventually do something like this with the Neo sets?

Even if energy requirement stay the same some pokemon will still be playable since damage and HP are boosted.

Also the cards displayed on the website, are they sure to be remade? I would definitely want that Mr Fuji card again, Pidgeot and the unreleased Aerodactyl. Pidgeots attack could troll players.

Back