2021 Pokemon TCG Format Rotation Announced!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Trading Card Game' started by Water Pokémon Master, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Mimikeon Aspiring Trainer
    Mimikeon

Did you get confused on which sets are getting cut? Because some of these are from post-TEU sets. Also, Nest Ball rotated last year.

2. Yaginku Aspiring Trainer
    Yaginku

I don't get why you're unsuccessfully trying to get a "zinger" every time I post a message, but I'll bite.
    It is obvious they're not trying to release a VMAX that can easily OHKO another VMAX outright. That's not the point. Because standard damage output lands between 200-250, that repeats the exact same problem as Tag Teams had - everything that's not a VMAX/Tag Team dies in one hit. And because the damage isn't adjusted (it's actually higher on multiprize Pokemon), you have to sacrifice up to three times the card advantage and deck resources to get the same amount of prizes.

So yes, get ready for another year of only VMAX decks, gimmick decks like stall, and above all, 95% of each set going straight to the jank box.

3. FireLizard Dragon shipper
    FireLizard

*sad Malamar noises*

4. Mimikeon Aspiring Trainer
    Mimikeon

Your post was a bit of a "zinger." And idk, the constant complaining about multi-prize Pokemon gets old.

5. SableyeGuy Aspiring Trainer
    SableyeGuy

250? uhhhhhhh
    more like 280

6. SableyeGuy Aspiring Trainer
    SableyeGuy

I agree, the constant complaining about multi-prize pokemon does gets old.

7. Tytus Expanded Best Format
    Tytus

The fact that Black and White may be rotating when the Sword and Shield block finishes is kind of crazy.

8. Diego Lima Aspiring Trainer
    Diego Lima

3 prizes Pokémon are so boring, it's like you don't even have the time to actually play the game, you just goldfish for a few turns to kill 2 pokémon and that's it. And to think a few years back I thought games revolving around "who Lysandres benched Shaymins for the win first" were silly...I was happy and didn't know it.

Coolpilot, Yaginku and Otaku like this.
  9. dmein89 Aspiring Trainer
    dmein89

I meant Net Ball lol. I set filter on PTCGO for Ultra Prism to Lost Thunder and these are the notable cards that appeared.

10. Cramp_Discharger Aspiring Trainer
    Cramp_Discharger

*Laughs in Zacian/ADP*

I'm here for just 2 things:

1) To dance on Spell Tag Malamar's grave

and

2) To join in the complaining about 3-prizers.

Like, seriously, let's just go back to single-prize everything. Bulk up evolutions to make them more viable. It would be so much more fun IMO.

Anyway, really happy to see Spell Tag Mally rotate out. This also effectively hobbles Pikarom, which is awesome. Escape board is a big loss, but otherwise I'm happy to see a lot of this stuff go.

Coolpilot and Diego Lima like this.
  11. Mimikeon Aspiring Trainer
    Mimikeon

Ah. Well, only the Lightning and Psychic Fairy Charms are rotating, and in addition to what has already been said, Energy Switch is reprinted in SSH.

It would take more than bulking up to go back at this point. The game would need to be rebooted, as that single-prize tournament showed. It's just too broken at this point.

Otaku and SableyeGuy like this.
  12. OVERGRO Pokemon is lyfe.
    OVERGRO

Mwahahaha, the core of my Detective Pikachu deck lives on!!!

13. Swampert Full Art #GROOKEYGANG
    Swampert Full Art

Wow, I can't believe Lost Thunder is already rotating. It seems like just yesterday when I preordered a booster case of it.

14. jamashawalker Ikouze!
    jamashawalker

I've said before in a thread they are trying to make it so VMAXs have to have an evolution bench sitter support Pokemon. There are some exceptions so far but not ground breaking exceptions.

At the end of the day, i I would rather have a format where I don't scoop on turn 2 because my opponent did 300 damage with very little effort

15. Otaku The wise fool?
    Otaku

Hence my usual spiel about what I think the game needs... but even I'm tired of repeating myself so I'll just summarize it as "Make sure you identify the true problem."

The game right now is... a lot like how it gets every few years. I think the powers-that-be have made some bad calls, but I also know they have the horrible task of adapting the latest VG gimmicks to the TCG. I've never played a TCG where the vast majority of cards weren't filler or bait, though I thought I did for quite some time with Pokémon. Then I finally got a few percentage points as good as I'd insisted I was and realized "Nope. Mostly filler and bait." XD

16. ForeverRanger91 Aspiring Trainer
    ForeverRanger91

Feels like we just got back Acro Bike and now it is rotating out again. Good news is that the bulk of my Noctowl deck is here to stay.

17. Chimecho3000 Aspiring Trainer
    Chimecho3000

Yeah I feel the same way. Felt the same way for Crimson Invasion when it rotated last year. But Lost Thunder is much more impactful given the number of good cards it has. It's always rough for the set that is released at the end of the year as they get the shortest time (and Lost Thunder's time is cut even shorter due to the pandemic).

18. ForeverRanger91 Aspiring Trainer
    ForeverRanger91

Evolution decklists are going to look weird without Ditto Prism Star.

19. Yaginku Aspiring Trainer
    Yaginku

I mean, this is literally a thread about the next format. What kind of discussion would you expect, beside "yeah, we knew"?
    Why would you base that opinion off of one tournament with 8 players in it?
    I guess that means Slowpoke & Psyduck is the best deck in Standard right now, it constantly places high at my league.

I would totally reboot the game, but it's obviously not possible. What needs to happen at this point is a large amount of V-hate cards (forget about Tag Teams, we have to live with them for now). Just straight up "if you don't have a V-Pokemon in play, your active Pokemon does 100 more damage to opposing V-Pokemon". And then slowly bury them with better mechanics.

20. Mimikeon Aspiring Trainer
    Mimikeon

Fair, though I'm not really sure how else it would turn out. Dolls and spread are just ideal for such a format right now.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?