2020 Europe International Championships Cancelled Due to Coronavirus Concerns

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Guys, don't buy your Worlds tickets...
Already have tickets and accommodations for worlds. That's so far that there is no way it will be canceled. A lot of things will be resuming in a few weeks. Higher temperatures have been proved to be a barrier against spread (i.e. # of cases in Singapore vs. S. Korea), so as we move into spring/summer/fall we will see the virus diminish just like all the other COVI in the past (SARS, MERS). If Toronto is on tomorrow, and Charlotte is still in play (which it seems to be based on posts from the company), I don't see why they would even consider canceling worlds. People need to be prepared for sure, and take precautions, but there are far too many people overreacting to this. Statistically speaking you stand a far greater chance of being infected by the flu (15% - 1 out of 6.67 - 49,000,000 infected) and dying (0.0000159% - 1 out of 5,542 - 59,000 dead) from the flu compared than being infected by Coronavirus (0.000000371% - 1 out of 269,135 - 1,215 infected) and dying by it (0.0000000110% - 1 out of 9,083, 333 - 36 dead). By the way, these numbers are available on the CDC (cdc.gov) website, so they aren't made up. There is so much misinformation about Coronavirus going on it is insane. People who are immunocompromised and young are obviously at greater risk, but those are the same people who are dying to the flu. Everyone should take the same precautions for this disease that they take from any other disease.

poketrainer_33

Aspiring Trainer
Already have tickets and accommodations for worlds. That's so far that there is no way it will be canceled. A lot of things will be resuming in a few weeks. Higher temperatures have been proved to be a barrier against spread (i.e. # of cases in Singapore vs. S. Korea), so as we move into spring/summer/fall we will see the virus diminish just like all the other COVI in the past (SARS, MERS). If Toronto is on tomorrow, and Charlotte is still in play (which it seems to be based on posts from the company), I don't see why they would even consider canceling worlds. People need to be prepared for sure, and take precautions, but there are far too many people overreacting to this. Statistically speaking you stand a far greater chance of being infected by the flu (15% - 1 out of 6.67 - 49,000,000 infected) and dying (0.0000159% - 1 out of 5,542 - 59,000 dead) from the flu compared than being infected by Coronavirus (0.000000371% - 1 out of 269,135 - 1,215 infected) and dying by it (0.0000000110% - 1 out of 9,083, 333 - 36 dead). By the way, these numbers are available on the CDC (cdc.gov) website, so they aren't made up. There is so much misinformation about Coronavirus going on it is insane. People who are immunocompromised and young are obviously at greater risk, but those are the same people who are dying to the flu. Everyone should take the same precautions for this disease that they take from any other disease.
Young are at greater risk, but they don't see as many severe/lethal cases as older and older with pre-existing conditions. As the numbers stand right now, yes, more people have/had the flu. But, COVID-19 is more easily spread. I forget where, but I read the flu virus has the potential to spread to something like 9 people per host and COVID-19 hits 45 per host.

Wavestripe

Med Student
Don't you love people being filthy ruining things for the rest of us?

Dude. It's not people being filthy. Why don't you say that to all the elderly that are the ones at risk or the immunocompromised. Some people can't afford insurance, are stuck in cramped spaces where infection spreads easily, or just get unlucky. The spread of the virus is because of its overwhelming ability to spread, not due to "poor personal hygiene".

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Young are at greater risk, but they don't see as many severe/lethal cases as older and older with pre-existing conditions. As the numbers stand right now, yes, more people have/had the flu. But, COVID-19 is more easily spread. I forget where, but I read the flu virus has the potential to spread to something like 9 people per host and COVID-19 hits 45 per host.
Without a doubt the Coronavirus does spread better. All I am saying is that people are WAY overreacting to this. Shutting down everything and secluding isn't the right response. Being responsible, taking the proper precautions (especially if you are older, immunocompromised, or much younger), and exercising good hygienic practices is the appropriate response. To my knowledge no one has ever canceled events or entire seasons over the flu even though 49,000 people have already died this flu season alone (compared to 36 from Coronavirus). COVID-19 is like every other of the 18 Coronavirus versions we have seen, easy to spread and certainly bad, but not something that will last forever. Like every other variant time, temperature, and proper practices will eliminate the spread. My concern isn't with the virus itself (which does warrant concern), but with the mass spread panic being created by the media and people who are misinformed by the media. Everyone forgets that the media exists to make money by selling advertising. They are certainly not altruistic in the least bit. That's why every time there is a natural disaster it gets shown for months after the event. Should we be informed, absolutely. Should we be cautious, definitely. Should we be in a total state of panic like the US and other nations are right now, definitely not.

Last edited:

Otaku

The wise fool?
Guys, don't buy your Worlds tickets...

I know you're (probably) just joking, but to anyone actually worrying about this:

Cancellations at this point are to slow the disease down, and that is because all we need is to buy some time. Assuming there are no further surprises since hey, this is a new disease we're not used to dealing with, then the three big issues are
  • Being caught unprepared
  • Being caught under-prepared
  • Panicking
Part of being prepared is also slowing the spread so less of the world, a continent, a country, a state, a county, or even a city is being hit all at once. Even if there wasn't a vaccine in the works, just the difference of allowing more time for proper protocols to be formulated and tested is also valuable... and hopefully reduces the unnecessary and alarming panic of people thinking they need to horde toilet paper. o_O

The World Championships aren't for another five months, almost to the day as of me making this post. Even if the vaccine is delayed until that point, Even though a vaccine won't be ready by that point, and even if people continue to panic, by then, Corvid-19 should have already worked its way through most of the world, and so even the cautious won't see need to cancel events. I only just barely think there is good reason to cancel events now, at least in areas where there are confirmed cases, or near confirmed cases, and conditions are such that the spread is likely.

Edit: Confirmed Mimikeon was being serious, had to correct a badly worded sentence in the last paragraph. I misread early, optimistic (re: dubious) reports of work already progressing well on a vaccine for Corvid-19 but forgot about the time required for pre-clinical and clinical trials. Fortunately, this changes almost nothing I said, since the majority of the post was about how taking precautions now ought to help avoid issues latter even if there was no vaccine in the works.

Last edited:

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I know you're (probably) just joking, but to anyone actually worrying about this:

Cancellations at this point are to slow the disease down, and that is because all we need is to buy some time. Assuming there are no further surprises since hey, this is a new disease we're not used to dealing with, then the three big issues are
  • Being caught unprepared
  • Being caught under-prepared
  • Panicking
Part of being prepared is also slowing the spread so less of the world, a continent, a country, a state, a county, or even a city is being hit all at once. Even if there wasn't a vaccine in the works, just the difference of allowing more time for proper protocols to be formulated and tested is also valuable... and hopefully reduces the unnecessary and alarming panic of people thinking they need to horde toilet paper. o_O

The World Championships aren't for another five months, almost to the day as of me making this post. Even if the vaccine is delayed until that point, even if people continue to panic, by then, Corvid-19 should have already worked its way through most of the world, and so even the cautious won't see need to cancel events. I only just barely think there is good reason to cancel events now, at least in areas where there are confirmed cases, or near confirmed cases, and conditions are such that the spread is likely.
A vaccine isn't going to be completed and approved in that time. This is real life, not Plague, Inc. It's going to take at least a year for a vaccine to become commercially avaliable, especially since there are already signs of it mutating. It could even take until early 2022.

EDIT: Read this to get a better understanding of how developing, testing, approving, and distributing a vaccine works. It coming out this year is pretty much impossible, and 2H21 is optimistic. https://www.latimes.com/science/sto...it-take-so-long-to-make-a-coronavirus-vaccine

Last edited:

Otaku

The wise fool?
A vaccine isn't going to be completed and approved in that time.

Part of being prepared is also slowing the spread so less of the world, a continent, a country, a state, a county, or even a city is being hit all at once. Even if there wasn't a vaccine in the works, just the difference of allowing more time for proper protocols to be formulated and tested is also valuable... and hopefully reduces the unnecessary and alarming panic of people thinking they need to horde toilet paper.

The World Championships aren't for another five months, almost to the day as of me making this post. Even if the vaccine is delayed until that point, even if people continue to panic, by then, Corvid-19 should have already worked its way through most of the world, and so even the cautious won't see need to cancel events. I only just barely think there is good reason to cancel events now, at least in areas where there are confirmed cases, or near confirmed cases, and conditions are such that the spread is likely.

Emphasis added. The first paragraph I just quoted stands as is. The second paragraph was worded improperly, so I'm glad you brought that to my attention. I meant for it to read "Even if the vaccine isn't available until after Worlds..." and, as you reminded me, it should have read "Even though a vaccine won't be available until well after Worlds..." I'll correct that after making this post.

As has been established, the issue with this virus is that:
  • It's new
  • It can be deadly to those with weak immune systems
  • people are panicking over it
  • It is spreading rapidly despite efforts to slow it down.
Yes, I forgot to allow time for pre-clinical and clinical trials, and was too trusting of reports of early progress. It is embarrassing, but it wasn't the foundation of my argument... nor even a major point. In six months time, given how the disease has been spreading already, most of us will probably have already been exposed to it. While it won't magically become something we've been dealing with for decades, we'll have an idea of how to proceed

Also, still don't really get the TP hording. ;)

Addendum: Do I really need to point out that if things are so bad they cancel worries due to coronavirus, that is the least of our worries at that point?

Last edited:

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Emphasis added. The first paragraph I just quoted stands as is. The second paragraph was worded improperly, so I'm glad you brought that to my attention. I meant for it to read "Even if the vaccine isn't available until after Worlds..." and, as you reminded me, it should have read "Even though a vaccine won't be available until well after Worlds..." I'll correct that after making this post.

As has been established, the issue with this virus is that:
  • It's new
  • It can be deadly to those with weak immune systems
  • people are panicking over it
  • It is spreading rapidly despite efforts to slow it down.
Yes, I forgot to allow time for pre-clinical and clinical trials, and was too trusting of reports of early progress. It is embarrassing, but it wasn't the foundation of my argument... nor even a major point. In six months time, given how the disease has been spreading already, most of us will probably have already been exposed to it. While it won't magically become something we've been dealing with for decades, we'll have an idea of how to proceed

Also, still don't really get the TP hording. ;)

Addendum: Do I really need to point out that if things are so bad they cancel worries due to coronavirus, that is the least of our worries at that point?
All of this is why I'm only expecting it to affect this season regardless. Maybe it'll be too widespread to slow down in a month or two, but does that mean we should take the risk? Especially when so many people will be in locked-down countries or won't have enough points due to cancelled events?

Chicken008

Aspiring Trainer
I missed my first Regionals.
They literally cancelled Toronto as the doors were opening. Several people have already flown in, just wasting a lot of peoples time and money.
Don't say everything is fine only to cancel it 12 hours later when people start showing up.
I really hope this gets rescheduled.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Especially when so many people will be in locked-down countries or won't have enough points due to cancelled events?

This is something else I had forgotten, so thank you. It isn't so much Worlds being cancelled because they're worried about spreading the disease by that point, as Worlds being cancelled because the damage to the process is already being done.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I missed my first Regionals.
They literally cancelled Toronto as the doors were opening. Several people have already flown in, just wasting a lot of peoples time and money.
Don't say everything is fine only to cancel it 12 hours later when people start showing up.
I really hope this gets rescheduled.
It won't be. If they said "cancelled," that's what they mean.