2020 Europe International Championships Cancelled Due to Coronavirus Concerns

I wasnt gonna go to the event, but it sucks that they have to cancel it for ppl who were looking forward to it. makes sense tho

They should hold event like this on ptcgo. Prevents cheating, nobody gets sick, etc.
Tournament organization/livestreaming would likely be easier too.

They should hold event like this on ptcgo. Prevents cheating, nobody gets sick, etc.
Even digital card games have physical venues where they take place. Though I do agree that digital competition would be a step forward, it would not protect against illness.

You know, if people were just clean and hygienic in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Can't blame them for focusing on the wellbeing of the community. Shows a level of care. Hopefully we can resume all the tournaments after the virus peaks

You know, if people were just clean and hygienic in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess.

This undersells how easy it is for most germs to be transmitted. It is good general advice, but even if we were just worried about a normal flu outbreak, good hygiene and cleanliness wouldn't protect everyone.

Clean and hygenic people... at a card tournament?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha that's a good one xD
I know right. Pokémon suspends the rules about shaking hands to prevent Coronavirus and forgets you shuffle and cut your opponents deck like 50 times a game. Guess those germs just magically disappear :)

Spreading a communicable disease is just too easy. Even if you have a bunch of mature, adult players all practicing proper hygiene and procedure to avoid getting sick or getting someone else sick, all it takes is bad luck like Person A and Person B being caught off guard when one of them suddenly sneezes.

Also, random tangent; long before Pokémon, my family referred to sneezing fits as "sneasels", but it actually has nothing to do with Pokémon (pretty sure it predates it).

In the US the Center For Disease Control just released its up to date numbers for this calendar year only. 565 cases of Cornoavirus and 20 deaths. 35,000,000 cases of Influenza and over 20,000 deaths. Don't recall anyone ever canceling an event because of the flu. This is what happens when Pokémon listens to the media. Their job is to hype things up to get viewers and sell ads.

It's not the same. Physical interaction, "reading" your opponent or just the stress of a high-stakes game played in-person are all a part of the experience. It could be close-enough for a small tournament, but not for something with serious prizes.

In the US the Center For Disease Control just released its up to date numbers for this calendar year only. 565 cases of Cornoavirus and 20 deaths. 35,000,000 cases of Influenza and over 20,000 deaths. Don't recall anyone ever canceling an event because of the flu. This is what happens when Pokémon listens to the media. Their job is to hype things up to get viewers and sell ads.

Apples and oranges; while there are a lot of things in common between the flu and Corvid-19, there are significant differences as well.

Corvid-19 is new and spreading despite efforts to contain it (or at least, to slow it down). There is a lot we don't know about it, or at least, that we don't know with the same certainty we do for the flu. Oh, and the flu is peculiar because we have a vaccine for it, we have a decent understanding of it, but we just don't take it as seriously as we ought.

Oh, and based on the numbers you just provided me:

565 cases with 20 deaths = 3.54% fatality rate
35,000,000 with 20,000 deaths = 0.06% fatality rate

Based on what I've read, we need to remember that certain things are not mutually exclusive:
  • Coronavirus is spreading, even in the countries that have taken pains to contain it.
  • The disease is truly dangerous to he immunocompromised... which includes the elderly and the very young.
  • The usual suspects are going to spin things, whether in favor of alarmism or downplaying it.
  • Even well-meaning, informed people may overcorrect trying to combat the former.
Canceling major events, especially those like to be attended by those more vulnerable to the disease, or which involve folks in close quarters, even making physical contact, seems prudent.

Especially
given how casual many of us are with something like the ordinary flu and - based on what I've read - the sudden onset of symptoms for those stricken with the coronavirus. I know I've got to events not feeling the best before, and I've encountered players laughing off how they puked their guts out in the bathroom but "They're going to push through!" (or words to that effect). Again, talking about the flu or other stuff, not coronavirus (this was years ago XD).

We take precautions now so that this ends up being a non-issue later, or at least, only a mild one. Oh, and sorry for the multiple edits if someone happened to see this as soon as I posted. XP

Apples and oranges; while there are a lot of things in common between the flu and Corvid-19, there are significant differences as well.

Corvid-19 is new and spreading despite efforts to contain it (or at least, to slow it down). There is a lot we don't know about it, or at least, that we don't know with the same certainty we do for the flu. Oh, and the flu is peculiar because we have a vaccine for it, we have a decent understanding of it, but we just don't take it as seriously as we ought.

Oh, and based on the numbers you just provided me:

565 cases with 20 deaths = 3.54% fatality rate
35,000,000 with 20,000 deaths = 0.06% fatality rate

Based on what I've read, we need to remember that certain things are not mutually exclusive:
  • Coronavirus is spreading, even in the countries that have taken pains to contain it.
  • The disease is truly dangerous to he immunocompromised... which includes the elderly and the very young.
  • The usual suspects are going to spin things, whether in favor of alarmism or downplaying it.
  • Even well-meaning, informed people may overcorrect trying to combat the former.
Canceling major events, especially those like to be attended by those more vulnerable to the disease, or which involve folks in close quarters, even making physical contact, seems prudent.

Especially
given how casual many of us are with something like the ordinary flu and - based on what I've read - the sudden onset of symptoms for those stricken with the coronavirus. I know I've got to events not feeling the best before, and I've encountered players laughing off how they puked their guts out in the bathroom but "They're going to push through!" (or words to that effect). Again, talking about the flu or other stuff, not coronavirus (this was years ago XD).

We take precautions now so that this ends up being a non-issue later, or at least, only a mild one. Oh, and sorry for the multiple edits if someone happened to see this as soon as I posted. XP
While I agree with being prudent I don't think secluded is the solution. Also, just because there is a higher percentage for Coronavirus deaths means nothing when there is such a drastic sampling difference. That is statistics 101. You would need comparable numbers to come up with comparisons of deaths. What can be inferred based on the vast number in confirmed cases and deaths is how severe the FLU is in it's ability to spread and kill.

Based on what I've read:
  • Climate has proven an effective barrier against the spread of the disease. In the Philippines, which is hyper vigilant about early detection, where temperatures are in the 90s FH only 130 cases have been confirmed. By comparison, South Korea, which has had temperatures in the low 40s FH has seen over 6000 cases.
  • The flu is extremely dangerous to immunocompromised (elderly and young), hence the 20,000 deaths. It is no different than Coronavirus on that point.
  • PHARMA, the largest Pharmacology supplier in the US, just announced they already have a vaccination that they just put into testing. They believe it will provide a solution to the disease. An interesting point when there is no effective treatment for Influenza. Flu shots each year only prevent a fraction of the strains in existence.
Again, if you think canceling events for Coronavirus is prudent then you are either ignoring the severity of Influenza, have never had it, or don't see it as significant even though the symptoms are exactly the same as Coronavirus.

I am not saying we should cancel events for this virus any more than any other virus that is like it. Also, if you want to talk about how contagious Coronavirus is, you reference the above numbers I provided to the fact that 35 million Americans have already contracted the FLU in 2020 alone, compared to 565 cases of Coronavirus since inception (a longer period of time). The FLU is obviously far more effective at spreading. Coronavirus, since discovered last year has only 108,000 cases confirmed world wide. That means 35,000,000 flu cases just in the US (4.25% of the world population) VS 108,000 Coronavirus cases world wide (100% of the world population).

I agree with you that we should be prudent and individually take precautions (washing hands frequently, etc). But your point about the severity of Coronavirus doesn't seem to match up with the data on the FLU. The FLU is far more effective at spreading than Coronavirus, and seems to be just as lethal to those with preexisting conditions or those who are very young.

Oh, and you should probably refrain from bolding things as that comes across as rude and argumentative rather than having an open discussion. Especially the word you. That isn't very good forum etiquette.

@Kenatta_tcg you bring up some good points, but I believe you are constructing a misleading argument with them.

Let's start with my use of things like bold, italicized, or underlined text. I use such things frequently for emphasis, to communicate more clearly. If it really bothered you so much you needed to mention it, why do so here and now instead of an earlier infraction, or better still, via PM?

While I agree with being prudent I don't think secluded is the solution. Also, just because there is a higher percentage for Coronavirus deaths means nothing when there is such a drastic sampling difference. That is statistics 101. You would need comparable numbers to come up with comparisons of deaths. What can be inferred based on the vast number in confirmed cases and deaths is how severe the FLU is in it's ability to spread and kill.

Also, just because there is a higher percentage for Coronavirus deaths means nothing when there is such a drastic sampling difference. That is statistics 101.

Which is why I challenged your assertions in the first place. You only seem to recognize the differences or similarities between the two diseases when it supports your argument. It is a common issue, one I'm trying not to do myself at the same time I'm pointing it out to you.

I don't want people overreacting, but I don't want people underreacting either. I mean, I've got immunocomprised family, as well as four young nephews. I've got my own health issues that make the flu a little extra troubling for myself. The attitude displayed in your comments about the flu, which is actually pretty common, is why an event like this had to be canceled.

People do not take the flu as seriously as they ought to, and often misunderstand it. So your best case scenario - the coronavirus is like a less serious version of the flu - mostly underscores why the event had to be cancelled. Because people don't take the flu as seriously as they ought. =/

Some were taking the risk too seriously, others not seriously enough. Both are a problem... especially in a setting like that of your typical, large TCG tournament. Vaccines are in the works, but they're not here yet. We just need to buy some time, which is why it was prudent - though still regrettable - to cancel a non-essential major event that easily facilitates the spread of such a disease.

Note: Edited my next to last paragraph, clarifying what it was I was saying and splitting it into two paragraphs.

Last edited:
Back