2015 Format Question

Tsukeo

Skitty is so cute! <3
Hello!

I am thinking of beginning playing Pokémon TCG competitive, but I am very confused as to what is the current format.. The official Pokémon website mentions two different formats: Standard and Extended, what are the differences? I know that Standard is NXD-on and that Extended BW-on, but are there anything else I should know about the differences?

RE: I am confused about the 2015 format..

Hi Tsukeo,

I'm probably not the best person here to respond but Standard for the 2014-2015 season is Black & White - Boundaries Crossed and onwards.
Expanded format is Black & White onwards.
Competitve play uses the Standard format. Though I believe Leagues may be different.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/play-pokemon-2015-season-format-rotation/

Looking at the link I've added, there are no other differences.

Hopefully someone will respond with more detail soon.

2014 - 2015 will be Boundaries Crossed and forward for competitive play which includes tournaments and league challenges. Normal league play I've found they use the expanded setting which I tend to ignore and just do competitive play format. This way you get a better feel for your deck and adjustments you might need to make.

The reason extended is mentioned is because as far as we know, you would use a modified format deck (boundaries crossed on) the first day of a really big tournament. Then if you advance to the next day you would use an extended deck (black and whit on).

It is not just for league play.

Leagues can do anything they want as long as it is pokemon. It is normally Unlimited with a lot of people playing BCR-on.

Maybe its just my league then. If you do join a league ask them what there format is and you will know there, best place to test your deck out.

I have understood that every tournament organizer may choose if their tournament uses BW-on or BCR-on...

EVERY league is unlimited, you can even play "proxies" there. If your league organizer tells you otherwise, they are WRONG and you should stand up for your rights. (For regular league play, that is.)

Teal said:
I have understood that every tournament organizer may choose if their tournament uses BW-on or BCR-on...

EVERY league is unlimited, you can even play "proxies" there. If your league organizer tells you otherwise, they are WRONG and you should stand up for your rights. (For regular league play, that is.)

Pretty much this. Also if you are playing with an Unlimited deck tell your opponent that. You are allowed to still play Haymaker vs. Raindance matches all you want. If you are playing a League Challenge play BCR-on because that is the required format IIRC unless stated before.

Back