Ruling 2010-2011 Modified Format Questions

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Hello! Just a few random questions about this era and other past formats in general.

During this era, what were the stipulations on going first? What could you do, and what couldn't you do? It'd be nice if someone could explain any other format rules on going first (other than the '12-'13 and the '13-'14, I know those).

During this era, what sets were legal for Worlds play? I see that Black and White seems to be the newest set allowed during this era, but where was the cut-off? I can't seem to find the answer myself. (It would be cool if you guys knew any archetypes popular during this era as well.)

Thank you!

If memory serves, 2011 Worlds was in the rather limited format of HeartGold & SoulSilver to Black and White. This gave players only six sets to work with, one of them (Call of Legends) being a reprint set. This small format happened because of an early in-format rotation that happened on July 1st of that year. The entire season up until that point was in the format DP: Majestic Dawn and on, in which the rulings for going first were that the player going first was not allowed to play any trainers, supporters or stadiums on his/her first turn. The release of Black and White that May came with the change of rules where going first had no disadvantage, and the mid-format rotation happened because some older cards, notably Sableye from DP: Stormfront, were deemed unbalanced with new rulings.

Hope that answers all your questions! Here's a scan of that Sableye if you were curious:

48-sableye.jpg

No problem! I never miss an opportunity to be nostalgic. If you're curious about anything else regarding this format or other ones feel free to ask me again. But be warned that my experience doesn't really date back farther than the Diamond & Pearl era so you might want to ask some more experienced players on older formats.

Back