(2) Pokemon Referenced on 'House,' PokeBeach + Cinedigm Victini Movie Giveaway! [11/29]

Robot

HOENN CONFIRMED
That was awesome. I don't think of how I else I can describe it. It was just that awesome.

EeveeLv99 said:
It can be argued that Arceus created 4 states of matter, if you include plasma (no relation to Team Plasma)
I think he was refering to Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina.

escargon

Aspiring Trainer
Water Pokémon Master said:
But I think TPCi screwed that up when they dubbed it, so it probably should be "Ar-see-iss" as that is how it is pronounced in Japanese.

nope. not really.

if they pronounce it as "Ar-kee-us" in the English dub, then that's how its supposed to be pronounced in English.

its the same thing with King Dedede (Kirby character, for those who live in a cave). in Japan its pronounced "Day-day-day", but in English its "Dee-dee-dee".

just because a word is pronounced a certain way in one language, doesn't mean its the "official" pronunciation in the rest of the world. the way things are pronounced differ between languages, even if they have the same spelling.

i just don't get what's with people always having an obsession with "how the Japanese do something, its the "OFFICIAL" way". reminds me of when there is Engrish writing for character names in books/comics (oh, "manga", ahem), and people who adhere to those misspellings when there is more accurate and obvious spellings for those names. "zomg! the (Japanese) author (who doesn't know a lick of English) wrote it like that! its must be the OFFICIAL SPELLING!!111"

Zekrom Black

Banner made by me! :D Avatar from Serebii.net!
FireMeowth said:
I'm pretty sure they didn't mess up - that's just how it's meant to be pronounced in English.
Not all names are pronounced the same in English as in Japanese, after all, even if the spelling is the same...

Makes more sense to pronounce it with a K anyways, in my opinion.

They did screw it up. Pokemon Battle Revolution pronounces it Ar-see-us like in Japanese.

Liko

Darkrai Trainer
I did a double take when I heard him say it. I was like woooah did he just say that.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
FireMeowth said:
In Japanese, Arceus is pronounced with a soft C. In English and most other languages, Arceus is pronounced with a hard C. Why do people have a problem with that?

Not really. In Portuguese, the c in Arceus is a soft c and I'm pretty sure that in French it is also pronounced that way, because when the 'c' is before an 'e' or 'i', ir is pronounced as a soft c... In fact, that is the case with most Latin Languages and a few others...

Hydro Cannon

Just a random dood
My parents watch house all the time... And I'll bet when they watch it, they won't catch it! xD But I am glad to hear that they put it in the show! :D

Also, why are we debating which 'Arceus' pronunciation is correct? Its like everything in life; based off of opinions... I say it can be pronounced either Ar-kee-us, or Ar-see-us... Doesnt matter... No need to make 300 posts on an argument... Just my 2 cents, and I'd rather not start a debate... lol

Also, how is this contest gonna work? Count me in! :D

InuMimi

Psychic Pokemon Master
I love House and after seeing this reference to Arceus, I love it even more! :D Of course it was the episode I didn't see. I recorded though, and will be watching it later :D

howelllawson

Brony
-_-;

It's my opinion that both the movie and House pronounced it wrong.
I pronounce Arceus as are-soos, soos rhyming with Zeus.
Also "ceus" is only one letter different from Zeus.
And lastly, Arceus created everything, making it a god of sorts. Zeus was king of the gods in Greek mythology.
This makes the most sense to me.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
Deus is the Latin word for 'god' also; it's not just Portuguese.

As for the Zeus bit, I suppose you could push for "ar-SOOS" (or ar-KOOS) as being an acceptable pronunciation, and it definitely wouldn't be much of a stretch.

But if you go with the 'Deus' path, then 'AR-see-us' (or AR-seh-us) becomes the pronunciation instead.

Guts

CyberPhunk
/me facepalm

I don't care what Dr. House says, I still pronounce it Ark-ee-us. It wasn't really a witty or jaw-dropping reference, but it was pretty funny nonetheless. And good luck with the movie dealings, WPM, we're all rooting for ya.

Usagi

Inferiority complex
I always thought that the anime/movies was what settled arguments on how things were to be pronounced. But, look at how many people still pronounce Rayquaza as "Rah-kwah-zah" and Lugia as "Lew-jee-ah" (soft G), and it's apparent that there's no persuading some from their personal interpretations.

If we were to suggest going by the Japanese pronunciation of Arceus, I can suggest following that train of thought to it's natural conclusion and pronouncing it "A-ru-say-u-su". You'd be pronouncing two more syllables than the rest of us, but you'd probably also be keeping the most austere iteration.

superpokemon67

Aspiring Trainer
I've always pronounced it Ar-see-us. I had no idea so many people did it the other way. I loved the reference, and I wonder how many House fans actually looked Arceus up on google after watching that episode :p.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
DNA said:
Deus is the Latin word for 'god' also; it's not just Portuguese.

Well, I kinda knew that but I was't totally sure so I only mentioned "Portuguese" because it was the only language I was completely sure about...

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
I always thought that the anime/movies was what settled arguments on how things were to be pronounced. But, look at how many people still pronounce Rayquaza as "Rah-kwah-zah" and Lugia as "Lew-jee-ah" (soft G), and it's apparent that there's no persuading some from their personal interpretations.
I'm aware that the correct pronunciation of the former is "ray-KWAY-za", but I always find the short A pronunciation sounding cooler. Of course, that's my opinion, and I'm well aware my pronunciation is incorrect, but I don't care much there.
If we were to suggest going by the Japanese pronunciation of Arceus, I can suggest following that train of thought to it's natural conclusion and pronouncing it "A-ru-say-u-su". You'd be pronouncing two more syllables than the rest of us, but you'd probably also be keeping the most austere iteration.
I'm going to try and actually do this now.

Boddy

Was once Boddy903
Sigh...

I was so excited to finally see a Pokemon movie ON THE BIG SCREEN. When, wouldn't ya know it, there are only four theaters in Wisconsin that will be playing the movie, and they're in cities I've never even heard of. Where's the love for Green Bay?

I smell conspiracy.

pkmmaster

Battle Master
Oh please include us poor Canadians! We get left out of so much. No movies! Very few events done up here! No contests! It's like never being picked for kickball! Just sit on the side lines and get to watch everyone else play.

Ryu Shoji

Aspiring Trainer
I never thought House could get any more awesome. I was wrong.

House is known for his anti-religious views, but acknowledges Arceus exists? Then it is so.

Ophie

Aspiring Trainer
This is the most amusing Pokémon reference since an episode of Fillmore! briefly mentioned Geodude using Defense Curl.

escargon said:
just because a word is pronounced a certain way in one language, doesn't mean its the "official" pronunciation in the rest of the world. the way things are pronounced differ between languages, even if they have the same spelling.

i just don't get what's with people always having an obsession with "how the Japanese do something, its the "OFFICIAL" way". reminds me of when there is Engrish writing for character names in books/comics (oh, "manga", ahem), and people who adhere to those misspellings when there is more accurate and obvious spellings for those names. "zomg! the (Japanese) author (who doesn't know a lick of English) wrote it like that! its must be the OFFICIAL SPELLING!!111"

A bit of splitting hairs, but neither fans nor professional localizers do that for Yoshihiro Togashi's works, as most official English names he gives out are barely recognizable lumps of random consonants with the occasional vowel.

And Tite Kubo does it for Bleach too, to an extent, so you get names like Soifon's name becoming "Sui Feng." But people make fun of him all the time for that, and he's well aware of it.