(2) BW5 Commercial's Cards, New Article [3/1]

Well, when something doesn't look like it could work, I'll try to find something to make it work. I love working under adverse conditions or when at a disadvantage.

I think Giratina is pretty decent actually. Yeah, the random grass energy needed is weird, but people forget that it IS a basic and can use Prism. Paired up with Gardevoir, the first attack can OHKO all dragons for only 1 prism and one psychic.

That being said, I can also predict that not many dragons outside of Rayquaza and maybe Garchomp will be played. Kind of a shame really.

I wonder how long people are going to be crying about the lack of a Dragon energy?

Paired up with Gardevoir, the first attack can OHKO all dragons for only 1 prism and one psychic.
Giratina isn't a Psychic-type, so I don't know where you're getting that idea.

In any case...{G}{P}{C} for 90 pierce-all, on a basic no less, might actually see a little bit of play. I just have to hope that Giratina EX doesn't follow the path of Mewtwo...if you use Tear Through against another Giratina EX, it's an OHKO.

Rayquaza EX is a lol and it needs more Afterburner and/or Dynamotor. I could totally see that working, but it has the same flaw Zekrom EX does - you can only attach it to a Benched Pokemon, in the case of the Lightning Energy. This would warrant repeated use of Afterburner.

I seriously don't understand how hard it is to attach a psychic energy, and a grass energy to powerup Giratina EX's attack. I seriously don't understand you guys.

Magic players have no problems adding gold framed multicolor cards into their decks, but you have a huge problem using Dragon cards, which is technically the gold framed multicolor magic cards?

Isn't the point of Dragon type, according to the creators of the TCG, is to make it work only in SPECIFIC DECKS? You know there are also cards called um, what is it called, ENERGY SEARCH? Why don't you use that? Do you know how Magic players can do fine with multicolor cards? They use things like Rampant Growth, or Harrow, or something like that. I don't understand how you can't deal with multi energy costs.

Decks after rotation- Rayquaza rules the format! XD seriouly, I love Rayquaza EX and I can't wait to see its Epic card art. And for the record, I totally called the Giratina EX in the Future EXs thread XD jk. I wish Giratina was better though...

Isn't the point of Dragon type, according to the creators of the TCG, is to make it work only in SPECIFIC DECKS? You know there are also cards called um, what is it called, ENERGY SEARCH? Why don't you use that?
Just as an fyi, people don't run Energy Search ever because you're much better off using that slot for a basic Energy card instead. Now, Cilan? Yeah, we have that now. We can definitely run Dragon-types reasonably.

DNA said:
Just as an fyi, people don't run Energy Search ever because you're much better off using that slot for a basic Energy card instead. Now, Cilan? Yeah, we have that now. We can definitely run Dragon-types reasonably.

Why wouldn't you want something that tutors energy cards like energy search, or anything that tutors energy cards? The point I'm making is that some people here are whining that the "multi energy costs" on dragon cards are so impossible to handle that they won't dare to use dragon cards. I mean, is it too hard to handle that they couldn't think of a way to use a dragon card, like I don't know, tutor for an energy that you need?

I mean, it doesn't take rocket science to learn how to use multi energy cost cards. Magic players have been casting multicolor spells for years, and you can't even perform a multi energy attack? C'MON MAN.

For those of you who think Dragon is an actual type in the TCG, then forget about it. There won't be Dragon energy, well basic dragon energy anyway. Basic Dragon Energy ain't gonna happen. I've been making an argument that if Dragons have basic energy, then Colorless should also have basic energy. If Dragons are based off dragons in the games, then so is Colorless, which is based off Normal and Flying, so therefore, there should be basic colorless energy.

While Normal and Flying Pokemon are represented so that ANY energy can be used to power up their attacks, that is, they are those "meh, I don't care" pokemon, the Dragons are the ones that are opposite. They are picky. They want to be in SPECIFIC DECKS. Giratina doesn't want to be in any deck except for those who run Grass and Psychic energies, or you can have Psychic and Darkness, and 1 grass energy, and tutor for that grass energy.

Before you say something like, hey, Mewtwo EX is picky too, it has to be in psychic decks. Ok, I ask you. How many decks have at least psychic energy in it? How many have BOTH psychic AND grass? The probability of some deck to have a certain energy type is something. The probability that something AND another thing happening is less than if only one of those things happening.

So, the chance that a colorless card can work in a certain deck is high. The chance that a Grass, Fire, Water, Lightning, Psychic, Fighting, Darkness, and Metal, is less than that, and the chance that a dragon card to work in a certain deck is even less, which means, they are the most picky. Do you think that Dragons will obey anybody? I don't think so, and it fits flavorfully too.

I must ask before I continue. In the games, is it truly harder to catch dragon types compared to other types of the same level?

Rayquaza EX will definitely seep play. MagneBoar, anyone?

Also note: If you choose to discard all Fire or Lightning energy, if the opposite energy is fulfilled with a Rainbow Energy or a Prism Energy, that has to be discarded too, since it provides all types at all times.

LOL after see Rayquaza-EX you guys will still pay 55 dollares for Mewtwo-EX? And not the mention: Rayquaza from Dragon Selection can OHKO this Rayquaza-EX and now this Rayquaza-EX will be 55 dollares when can be countered? I don´t think so,

I would have to agree that the Rayquaza is very good. It can hit for 180 damage with a 3 energy discard, that is enough to one shot Mewtwo EX. Not to mention that you can recover the lightning energy that you discard with Eelektrik. Its own form of acceleration is great as well. Amazing for a 170 HPd basic, it will see play for sure.

Also Max Potion <3

signofzeta said:
Why wouldn't you want something that tutors energy cards like energy search, or anything that tutors energy cards? The point I'm making is that some people here are whining that the "multi energy costs" on dragon cards are so impossible to handle that they won't dare to use dragon cards. I mean, is it too hard to handle that they couldn't think of a way to use a dragon card, like I don't know, tutor for an energy that you need?

I mean, it doesn't take rocket science to learn how to use multi energy cost cards. Magic players have been casting multicolor spells for years, and you can't even perform a multi energy attack? C'MON MAN.

I'm not sure... Most of these people seem to be hiding behind a multicolored wall...
Image.ashx

People seem to also forget about Cilan. Those will be in nearly every deck that uses Dragon types.

When I saw Giratina-EX, I was excited to see its artwork until I saw it in its regular Forme. Why, TPCi, why must you not give us the Original Forme....:[

Awesome! Rayquaza is legitimately awesome, and can be paired with both Emboar and Eelektrik (And Typhlosion, but we probably won't get it until after Typhlosion gets rotated). I really hope it gets made into a tin promo, because I really, really want to use him.

And Giratina... is actually pretty good too. It makes a good tank, and can 2HKO anything because Eviolite won,t do anything against it. Dragon Pulse can also score some nice hits as well, although the discarding thing stinks. I think it could make a great tank, but Rayquaza might put a stop to that...

NIRVANA said:
LOL after see Rayquaza-EX you guys will still pay 55 dollares for Mewtwo-EX? And not the mention: Rayquaza from Dragon Selection can OHKO this Rayquaza-EX and now this Rayquaza-EX will be 55 dollares when can be countered? I don´t think so,

Doesn't matter what counters it. It just matters how useful it is. Now, when the ENTIRE METAGAME counters something, it becomes less useful. That doesn't bother me though, I still love running Sharpedo even though Lightning is EVERYWHERE.

signofzeta said:
I'm going to assume that "tutor" is a card in MtG that searches for land cards.
Anyway, that wasn't the point I was trying to make about Energy Search. The reason people don't run Energy Search is that it is a 1-for-1 card. You put 1 card into it, you get 1 card out of it. You would be much better off taking out Energy Search and replacing those cards with just Basic Energy; you'll have the same things - more so, actually - and the added bonus that Item Lock doesn't hamper you. (This even holds true in decks that have multiple Energy types as well.)

Cilan, however, is a 3-for-1 card. Yes it's a Supporter, and Supporters generally tend to give more, but the point is that, in terms of what you get out of a single card, Cilan gives you much more than Energy Search would; you get 3 cards from 1, instead of 1 for 1 that Energy Search does.

Conclusion: That's why people have never run Energy Search...EVER.
Moving on.

signofzeta said:
Before you say something like, hey, Mewtwo EX is picky too, it has to be in psychic decks.

Mewtwo EX is probably the worst example you could have used there... because Mewtwo isn't just in psychic decks. It's in EVERYTHING. It is mainly a colorless attacker (which means every deck can use it), it's an amazing card, and it counters itself. In fact, most of the decks that focus on Mewtwo don't even use psychic energy (Mewtwo/Gardevoir being the only one I can think of).

Just wanted to point that out.

signofzeta said:

I must ask before I continue. In the games, is it truly harder to catch dragon types compared to other types of the same level?

For the first issue, it's because Land cards in Magic and Energy cards in Pokémon are different in the way you use them. They are both deck fuel, but Energy gets expended way more frequently and easily than Land, and they're used for different purposes overall.

In general, Lands sit there on the field outside of anything else. You add one more each turn, but they occupy their own place while in play. Lands provide entry costs, and unless stated otherwise, Creatures can attack for free. In Pokémon, you attach Energy cards onto Pokémon in order for them to attack, but all Pokémon have the same entry costs if they're at the same evolutionary stage (besides Pokémon Lv. X and Pokémon LEGEND).

In other words, every Creature played in Magic takes from the same Mana pool of Land cards, whereas each Pokémon has to have its own supply of Energy cards. Thus, Energy management is much harder than Land management. In addition, Energy is discarded often in Pokémon, either through the Pokémon it's attached to getting knocked out, attacks and/or cards that discard Energy like Lost Remover or many Fire attacks, or retreating. Energy cards also can't be easily switched between Pokémon (well, unless you put in cards that allow you to do so like Shaymin), so at any given moment, an Energy card is fulfilling at most one purpose.

In other words, in Magic, you can afford to put in some different Lands because you can use them for other things later. You can begin with a Forest and play a Creature with a 1 Green Mana cost, and the next turn, you can play a Mountain and play an Enchantment with a cost of 1 Green and 1 Red. Whereas in Pokémon, to use an attack that requires different Energy colors, you have to already have those Energy cards in your hand, ready to use specifically on that Pokémon, and if you want to power up another one, you need to do it all over again.

As for the second point, Dragon-types quite often have low catch rates, but not always. For instance, Reshiram and Zekrom have some pretty high catch rates, higher than Murkrow and Mantyke. There is also Axew, whose catch rate is equal to Yanma's and Stunfisk's and higher than Farfetch'd's. If you want hard to catch, there are many mundane Pokémon with ridiculously low catch rates. Basculin is roughly twice as hard to catch as Reshiram and Zekrom and three times as hard as Axew. Beldum is about eight times as hard to catch as Basculin.

I can tell that these sets are gonna be AWESOME, just from looking at Girantina's art. I hope that EX wont be Legendary exclusive though. I'd LOVE to see Hydreigon EX! :D

BTW Rayquaza EX is mistranslated. Itssecond attack cost is RL, not RC. Man, I saw that and flipped... LOL

Back