#14: Animal Testing

DarthPika said:
Nature isn't nice either. Anyway you look at it, animals will "suffer".
Suffer how? Locked up in lab, being defenseless and being used to test things on, or being free and at least having the chance to escape suffering and/or death?

Nature is just unbalanced... You can't really say it's nice or bad, it's what you make of it.

As you read this post, hundreds of thousands of animals are dying all over the world.

As you read this post, trillions upon trillions upon trillions upon trillions upon trillions upon trillions upon trillions upon trillions (and it keeps going like that for a while) of microscopic organisms are dying all over the world. And microscopic organisms are still animals. So, animal rights activists, every time you wash your hands you are murdering innocent animals.

It's just how nature works. You die. I'd rather die doing something worthwhile to the lives of others. *shrugs*.

They don't have to die though, we can find other ways.

Its just us being selfish, taking the easy option instead of the right one.

xanaseviper said:
They don't have to die though, we can find other ways.

Its just us being selfish, taking the easy option instead of the right one.

Then how do you suggest we conduct our research? On stem cells? Oh wait, people like you won't let us do that, either.

They cant think or feel pain. Animals can.

They have no friends and family that they are taken away from. Animals do.

Stem cells dont feel it which makes it completely different.

idk about stem cells, i would have to think more on that one.

but
animal testing is wrong, why make animals suffer and die.
test on humans, its for our benefits, so we have to make the sacrifices.
or better yet test on criminals. its a better way of disposing of all the
garbage people in the world.
they chose that way of life, so in a way, there repaying the community.
simple as that.

yay, another post i cant wait for people to reply to angrily :D

InfinityFangX said:
idk about stem cells, I would have to think more on that one.

but
animal testing is wrong, why make animals suffer and die.
test on humans, its for our benefits, so we have to make the sacrifices.
or better yet test on criminals. its a better way of disposing of all the
garbage people in the world.
they chose that way of life, so in a way, there repaying the community.
simple as that.

yay, another post I cant wait for people to reply to angrily :D
Well to be honest, I like your idea... Okay as I said in the other thread, we should give some of the criminals a second chance, there are reasons for that. But some really can't be rehabilitated and are better to dead? They made other suffer, however, are we the ones who should make them suffer? But still it's better than testing it on animals.

PokeChamp said:
This is how I see it. If we don't test cosmetics/shampoos/etc. on animals, we will have to test it on humans. This is one of those subjects where people who love animals more than humans will reveal themselves. If we sacrifice an animal, it's not a huge problem. If we sacrifice a human, however, I do think there is quite a problem there. It's really up to what you think is the lesser evil.

Of course, human subjects would be WILLING AND PAID. There's a difference there. I don't think animal consent can be objectively determined, at least not yet.

Since you cannot know for sure whether the animal consents, testing is a violation of liberty, and inhumane if it creates suffering. However, it is MORAL if it will provide tangible benefit to society as a whole. I.e. science purposes are OK; cosmetics are questionable (probably best to check on a case-by-case basis). But of course, if there is a humane alternative (willing human subjects), that is better.

Yes, nature is inhumane. Pain, suffering, and death are normal. But do unto others as you want done unto you (whether or not the others belong to your species).
I draw the line at active intervention in nature to reduce suffering; this I think is wrong.

I like the idea of testing on criminals; give murderers the option to reduce their sentence if they put on some make-up... xD

I must say, industry has an incredible lack of respect for animal life.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090902/ap_on_go_ot/us_egg_hatchery_investigation

I fully support all testing on all stem cells, whether from the umbilical cord, from amniotic fluid, adult sinuses, human embryos, etc. An embryo does not have consciousness.
Once a healthy fetus has developed a brain, it is as wrong to kill it as it is to kill a healthy puppy.

DogMaster40 said:
And with medical tests, although we have to make them sick first, the point is to find a cure to that illness, and if they fail, they should have the decency to put them down.

Decency? How do you know they wouldn't prefer to live in pain than to die?
This line of thought is very disturbing, and euthanasia is for another topic.

I agree to put them down if suffering is excessive, but there is nothing decent about it.

apophys said:
DogMaster40 said:
And with medical tests, although we have to make them sick first, the point is to find a cure to that illness, and if they fail, they should have the decency to put them down.
Decency? How do you know they wouldn't prefer to live in pain than to die?
This line of thought is very disturbing, and euthanasia is for another topic.

I agree to put them down if suffering is excessive, but there is nothing decent about it.
I'd assume that living in pain would be torture, and worse than death. I know I would if I'm suffering.

this is why i think animal testing is wrong in most cases
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtuKoD1Wbvg
however I also belive that testing an animals knowledge or testing an animals ability to solve a problem is okay,but I don't think animals should suffer and die just because we want to beautify ourselfs with make up.I don't like the idea of testing medicine on humans or animals or stem cells but there really isn't another way that we can do that yet so for now I guess it is ok.

raven4764 said:
this is why I think animal testing is wrong in most cases
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtuKoD1Wbvg
however I also belive that testing an animals knowledge or testing an animals ability to solve a problem is okay,but I don't think animals should suffer and die just because we want to beautify ourselfs with make up.I don't like the idea of testing medicine on humans or animals or stem cells but there really isn't another way that we can do that yet so for now I guess it is ok.
What's the problem of testing it on stem cells?

Back