#13: The Global Economy

Limitless said:
afstandopleren said:
Let's see...
-American house market
-the loan system in several parts of the world
-sport people being paid 3 million or more for kicking some balls (soccer being a glaring example)
-bank directors and the like swallowing up all the money they can through 'bonuses'
-The change of currency in Europe (I want my Gulden back) that caused prizes to double up to 2,2x
-I remember something about the British ministers getting themselves some free treats from the money paid by the citizens

Do I need to go on?

Yes, it could have been prevented...but now that it is happened, I don't believe it can be fixed. Good thing I'm not attaching to much value to my materialistic possessions.

- The American house market is due to Sub Prime Lending.
- Loan systems in several parts of the world are almost identical to the United States. You may have some tax breaks here and there, but overall fairly identical.
- The sports industry is a very large part of the global economy. While you may not agree with them getting paid so much, if they didn't pay, you wouldn't have as many commercials. With not as much commercials, you would have less businesses etc. The Romans created the coliseum for a reason. For entertainment, and to get the citizens off their backs.
Can't they just think of something new and different? I mean, we aren't Romans and I just don't see the need of paying some nutjob that has skill in kicking a ball a couple of million to 'help the economy'. Besides, we wouldn't be on our 'governments backs' if they did a decent job for once...

afstandopleren said:
I think that there is more going on than just greed. Education could help also, but EVERY SINGLE THING in the western society is biased in 1 way or another. It's hard to find what really matters.

More education is not needed. What is needed is better education. Every single High School is biased to the fact that you're going to work for someone. What if you want to be your own boss? You're automatically being graded upon something you never plan to do.

In addition to that, even if you plan to work for someone else, you're still being graded on things you will never do. Frankly, you won't use half of the stuff you learn in High School. The only reason you should be forced to take everything is if you don't know what you're going to do when you grow up.
The last 2 paragraphs of you are exactly what's wrong with the current way the educational system is 'functioning'. Rather than focusing on the true talents of the kids 1 on 1 and not being able to get a job out of it is rather dumb and utterly illogical.

afstandopleren said:
That was only in America, yet, it effected the whole world slowly, but I don't think that that was what really started it. People have been wasting money for years (sport anyone?) so this was kinda bound to happen IMHO.

Wasting money is not anywhere close to accurate. If people didn't "waist" money, you wouldn't have stores or any form of entertainment.
You might want to check that statement again. There is lots of entertainment that doesn't involve money.

As stated before, this is solely due to the financial market.

Responses in bold. Also Limitless, after reading your responses, I suddenly would love to see the financial market crash. After all, it's just a couple of numbers, pieces of paper and some pieces metal that we have become (too) dependent on in the last 1000 year.

Anybody who read my essay would know that all your arguments, other than Limitless' really, don't work. An economy is built upon trust firstly: Once banks loose the confidence to lend money any more, the chani unfreezes. Liquidity is another huge factor, money has to keep moving or the money markets 'Freeze up'. We can't blame house prices for being too high, or blame the loan system, we have too look at how to keep a strong economy like we have done (think of the 80s boom) previously, and learn from that.

Well, just read the essay I posted on the first page.

._. And anyone who wants to stay sane isn't going to bother reading your lengthy essay, so don't say that.

Mrs. Aforcer said:
Greed and ignorance -- specifically that of American citizens like you and me.

Uhm... Have you read any of the posts in this thread?

Please keep the posts to a higher degree of standard.

@afstandopleren
Money goes into sports because even though you may not like (nor I for that matter) most people do. 'Free' entertainment just isn't possible.

Where it would be nice to have a single problem we could just exterminate it and the problems we are facing would disappear it just isn't going to happen. Unlike some people may think the economy is far from an exact science and requires a lot of guess work. There is no way to 'create' new money, or no 'reset' button, the only solution circulate money to where it is. Also who cares what started it (except to learn from it, thus preventing it from happening again), we need to find a way out of the problems were in and figure out a way to keep this from happening. This of course will not happen quickly, but instead happen very slowly (possibly at the speed of molasses.)

Limitless said:

I didn't know length attributed to quality.

Last I checked conciseness was a gift.

Mew the source of all said:
@afstandopleren
Money goes into sports because even though you may not like (nor I for that matter) most people do. 'Free' entertainment just isn't possible.

._. You seriously believe that? Then they should make little kids pay for having 'free' fun when playing hide and seek or tag. >_>

kashmaster said:
^ Yh but isnt where there playing on payed for? Nothing in life is free?

You mean the land, the earth they play on? Oh come on. Playing on soil is safer then on pavement. Unless it was the intention to get as much cash out of injured kids.... And last time I saw, the planet we live on was free, people just gave a price tag to everything to 'own' it. Who wants a piece of Antarctica!?

....And they still aren't making people pay for playing/walking on pavement? And what does 1 sidewalk tile cost??? Sorry, I still think that the 'no such things as entertainment' argument holds no ground.

Mrs. Aforcer said:
Limitless said:

I didn't know length attributed to quality.

Last I checked conciseness was a gift.
I was referring to the fact that the answer to that argument was already stated. It's pointless to keep circling around the same thing.
kashmaster said:
I am just saying nothing in life is free ;)
Of course non-materialistic things like time, but we're talking about wealth and money.
DarthPika said:
Air is free. :p
This is a discussion pertaining to the economy, please post if you are strictly adding to the conversation.

Back