(1) Several New ‘X Collection’ and ‘Y Collection’ Cards Revealed! [11/14]

puddizzle

やらないか?
News Staff
I'm not 100% sure on some of these cards (read: Evolutionary Soda). Grains of salt, etc.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
Liking the abilities on the starters. Aeigslash would be cool if it didn't take so many energy.
Oh, and hi Mega Blastoise EX. Thanks so much for making every deck need to run counters for you.

Blastoise/Blastoise. I see it coming.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
I'm not 100% sure on some of these cards (read: Evolutionary Soda). Grains of salt, etc.
On King's Shield, it also says "This Pokemon can't use King's Shield during your next turn". I also think it prevents all effects of attacks (in addition to damage), but I'm not fully sure on that bit.

Huh, Stance Change is from the hand? I thought it was like Form Change, done from the deck. Darn, it isn't as good as I thought it was.

Coincidentally I was working on trying to crack the scans at the same time, but it looks like someone better beat me to it!

ForeignDude

Aspiring Trainer
Looks pretty fun! Evolutionary soda is interesting. Greninja's ability seems cool though. I'd like to try that out with Kingdra.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
Wow. For those of you who remember MagneBoar, Delphox/Emboar would be a fun way to recreate it. Even without Emboar, Delphox seems like a pretty good card. Electrode and Musharna are pretty bad draw power compared to Delphox.
Greninja seems like a really fun card. I'm trying to think of a deck that can take advantage of it. Blastoise doesn't need it, so... uh... Something will need it; I just know it.

EDIT: Just realized that Greninja would work wonders in Empoleon. You barely need to attach Energy in Empoleon (as long as you don't run too many Max Potion), so Greninja would be really good in it.

Mega Blastoise is. Eh. It's got a good attack, but it's not really worth 3 Water Energy and wasting a turn.
I'm curious as to how Evolutionary Soda works. Can you evolve again on the same turn you use E. Soda? Or evolve to a Stage 1 and then play E. Soda? And does it bypass Mega Evolution? Oh god, that'd be a stupid card if it did. If it doesn't, it seems decent.

Chesnaught, Aegislash, and Talonflame are all pretty bad. Aegislash seems like it could be a fun card, but it costs too much Energy to be playable. If DNA's translation is indeed wrong, then Shield Aegislash would be incredibly good, but I'd assume he's right, because it'd be stupid-good otherwise.

Overall, I like the look of these cards. They show potential for playable Evolutions again. We still haven't seen any Fairy types since Xerneas EX.

BobTheFlub

Aspiring Trainer
Wow, PETM has been downgraded from Supporter to Item. Wonder how much it'll really help evolutions though.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
BobTheFlub said:
Wow, PETM has been downgraded from Supporter to Item. Wonder how much it'll really help evolutions though.

You're thinking of Wally's Training, not Professor Elm's Training Method. However, Evolution Soda can't bypass the normal Evolution rules - Wally's Training can.

BobTheFlub

Aspiring Trainer
DNA said:
BobTheFlub said:

You're thinking of Wally's Training, not Professor Elm's Training Method. However, Evolution Soda can't bypass the normal Evolution rules - Wally's Training can.

Wally's Training was only for Active though. Guess it's not really exactly like either then.

Bisharp'sCloak

Aspiring Trainer
Wow, I've gotta say these are some fairly decent cards. I really like the Greninja card. Looks like a really fun and easy to play with card. The artwork for all of them looks very well done, but I hope they don't over do the CGI artwork too much on this card series. My only real problems is that Mega Blastoise hasn't really got anything special about it except 220 HP. It's attack can be found on cards that aren't even EX, so there are few benefits to it, considering you lose a turn by just putting the darn thing into play. Another complaint is, like most of you guys have said is Aegislash's attack cost. It's too high, but I do like little form change it has. Overall, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Evolutionary Soda is the evolution equivalent of the old Great Ball. ;p Given certain Pokemon are a pain to search (say 100 HP Stage 1s with less than 3 retreat), seems useful purely as a search card in evolution-based decks. (Which is of course the point.)

Looks like Lightning is getting Metal resistance again. (Aegislash Blade Forme ignores resistance, and no other types in the TCG have ever resisted Metal.) I like how Aegislash doesn't seem to get rid of the previous Aegislash, so something like Rescue Scarf would PROBABLY (I'd imagine they're still considered part of the Pokemon, I don't see how they couldn't be) retrieve them all.

I think I'll have fun with an Emboar/Delphox deck. (I like that it isn't a Pokemon-EX. I've briefly considered in the past doing Emboar/Simisear for that reason, but didn't because its HP is useless.)

Squirtle Squad

Aspiring Trainer
I really think that the art on Mega Blastoise would have been really amazing if it didn't have that attack name slapped on it! It just looks like a really cool card that's been wrecked!

Reggie McGigas

-
Mega Blastoise's art is fricken awesome

aaaannnnddd they put the attack name all over it

Even though I like 5ban Graphics it seems like they are doing the art for EVERY card in the set. Not good.

NotSeen

Aspiring Trainer
Four Arms said:
Overall, I like the look of these cards. They show potential for playable Evolutions again. We still haven't seen any Fairy types since Xerneas EX.
Snubbull/Granbull and Swirlix?

Anyway, it's shame, that the damage on Greninja's attack isn't affected even with resistance. That means, it only damages for 50 no matter what, which is not so much, when wi take the other two final evo's.
Aegislash's ability is no so good, too, because it means, you have to run at least (and at the same time at max) 4 of them, if you want to use it. If only it says you have to change it like the other change-forming abilities. It'd be 100 % better.
On the other hand, Evolutionary soda is great idea; 100 % better than Rare Candy, which was downgraded to only search for Stage 2 and only to evolve from hand.
As for the illustratoions, they look fine, except for already mentioned attack's name on Mega Evolutions. It's really awful. It waste the place for Pokémon and it's surrounding. I hope, they change it with the translation into english.
The only thing I regret is, that the Basic's and/or Stage 1's are again relatively useless. They have more or less simple attacks barely with usable effects. Why don't they design whole usable evolutionary line like for example this.
Ok, that's it.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
Though the 3D art is much improved, I'd still like a mix between 3D and traditional. I'm starting to get concerned 3D will be a big focus this set, what with the whole VG transition to 3D.

And having attack names on Megas still completely ruin them for me.

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Mega Blastoise-EX is easily the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

But the Aegislash mechanic definitely seems quite unique...

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Wow. Mega Blastoise is jacked and stupidly overpowered. That is ridiculous.

Delphox and Greninja are neat, and I especially like Greninja's Ability. Get a couple on the field and deal a lot of extra damage. That's pretty neat.