(1) 'Pokemon Peer' Scans and Information [9/9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it is based on this snake-

http://i51.tinypic.com/2djh4z.jpg

See the color resemblence

Yeah, that does look closer. Would you happen to know the name of the snake by any chance? I'd kind of like to see more pics of it haha.

It's design COULD be interpreted as European royalty due the collar I suppose...but it could also just as easily be interpreted as a Chinese emperor's outfit, or a Mandarin style robe.

But whoever originally said that Tsujata being based off a "grass snake" or garter snake just because it is a grass type snake is not confirmed, otherwise it would have been in the interview or some other source, so whoever said that was just making an interpretation.

Off topic: This is weird, I went into my bathroom and randomly saw a shell like Mijumaru's, and now Tom & Jerry is on TV and there is a samurai dog....all this arguing about the Mijumaru evo seems to be affecting my reality o_O

It's a garter snake. They actually make great pets! /random info

Edit: @Tara: Maybe we should leave it alone for now then, lol. It was fun discussion though. :)

Now kids, that's how you have a discussion without it going into a flamewar. :D

Oh dang, forgive my major snake ignorance haha. Way to not recognize practically the most common snake species out there, self.
At any rate, it's really pretty! /kinda off-topic

I doubt they had Ivy League schools in mind when designing it, but that's actually a pretty cool association. Fits the "smug" theme very well (by stereotype standards at least!).

Even the pattern itself in Tsu3 reminds me of European designs, not just the collar. I could see him as some variety of ancient European family crest or animal. The ivy part also makes me think of ivy that covers old, western buildings, like abbeys or castles. But that's just IMO. I could see how he could appear more Chinese too. But the downward marking on his chest almost looks like and upside-down feur-de-lis.

It's design COULD be interpreted as European royalty due the collar I suppose...but it could also just as easily be interpreted as a Chinese emperor's outfit, or a Mandarin style robe.

He said western culture, so it's not based on Chinese royalty. This is Pokemon, it's not going to be perfect.

Anyway, the reason I don't think Tsutaja's evolution is real is not because its design might seem influenced by Eastern culture, but because the collar seems royally messed up (pun intended).

I doubt they had Ivy League schools in mind when designing it, but that's actually a pretty cool association.

It's possible. Old, ivy covered buildings are characteristic of Britain.

I always thought that the designs on Tsutarja's final evolved form were fleurs-de-lis, which are commonly used in heraldry and ornamentation in Europe (doubtless that it's seen use in other countries, but it did originate in Europe). In fact, looking up the fleur-de-lis of Florence would show a striking similarity between them (the fleur-de-lis and Tsutarja's evolved form's design).

On-topic: Anyone else find the "activated" tails of Zekrom and Reshiram to be really cool?

I'm lovin' the glowing with fire/electricity tails on them dragons. Gives it their own vibe and lighting with their design :D

I always thought that the designs on Tsutarja's final evolved form were fleurs-de-lis, which are commonly used in heraldry and ornamentation in Europe (doubtless that it's seen use in other countries, but it did originate in Europe). In fact, looking up the fleur-de-lis of Florence would show a striking similarity between them (the fleur-de-lis and Tsutarja's evolved form's design).

That's an interesting thought as well. Good idea!

And yes, their tails are pretty cool :p

@PokéMontage: Thank you! I love your avatar. XDDD

I wonder if Zekrom and Reshiram have signature moves... It would be cool to see those tails being used in an attack.

I think they do. In one of videos, they showed them doing attacks I've never seen before.(Actually those attacks reminded me of critical hits in golden sun, I know random.)

It's possible. Old, ivy covered buildings are characteristic of Britain.

Certainly true! The Ivy League's in the northeast USA, though, actually. :) (Though you might have already known that haha, sorry if I'm stating the obvious. At any rate, it still maintains the Western theme.)

I adore the designs of both Reshiram and Zekrom. I originally didn't like Zekrom, but seeing the in-game sprite totally changed my mind. I actually ended up pre-ordering White because of it, haha.

Pokemontage, I was talking about the supposed evo pic being based on Chinese royalty. If that supposed evo is real, yet is supposed to be based on Western culture, then I think Sugimori has gone off the deep end, or someone mixed up Pokabu and Tsutaja in the interview. It's possible, not everyone has flawless speaking/editing skills, and there's been major goofs in official publications before. Actually, Pokemon Peer is an unofficial magazine. So they COULD have goofed and mixed up the names, it is POSSIBLE. Even Sugimori could have mixed up the names, he may design Pokemon, but he's only human. And again, all this only applies if the supposed evo pics turn out to be real. There is still the hope that the pics are fake, and that the REAL starter evolutions synch up to what the interview says.

Though, Waninoko does bring up some valid points about it possibly being based on European royalty. I suppose it can go either way with interpretation of the supposed Tsutaja's evo. However, could someone then explain how the supposed Pokabu's evos, if real, are Chinese style, when they clearly look more Western style? Especially the second form!

And in case anyone is interested, here are the other 2 pics detailing the major flaws in the pictures:

f01z0o.gif

2ziwv0z.gif

I think Pokabu's middle definitely looks more western. It honestly reminded me of an American 90's cartoon. The evolution designs in general scream pro wrestler to me. The only thing that catches my eye of it being more Chinese-inspired is the swirl pattern on Poka3's chest. But other than that, I'd say its more western looking to me.

Yes, that image explains exactly what's wrong with the Tsutaja evo's collar. It's not drawn correctly any way you look at it, so either the artist messed up severely, or it's not real.

And yes, I agree that it has some Eastern influence as well. I was just saying that that wasn't the real reason I thought it was fake since this is Pokemon and they might not take the time to make sure that their Western and Eastern styles are completely accurate, but regardless of the style, the collar is wrong.

Yeah, the swirls are the only thing remotely Chinese about it. Other then that, an 80s/90s cartoon character pretty much sums it up perfectly LOL

Awesomesauce!
I bet there are loads of details on the new games, but we'll have to wait for all the scans XD

Hey, WPM, I hope you don't mind if we write an article too. We'll put credit :]

My analysis and opinions on those animations:

RE: Tsutarja stage 3:
The collar isn't really problematic like the animation indicates at all, in my view. The left side (our left) is just foreshortened, and the whole thing dips/is curved downwards in the back, so you can just hardly see a sliver of the yellow where the right side is connecting around the back. Notice how awful/off it looks when the animation edits the right side design onto the left... It wouldn't be seen that way. It'd be foreshortened/hidden like the way the drawing is now. I can try make an illustration of how this works if you'd like.
As for the pupil/iris... I don't really see it as a valid complaint. That's just a stylization thing. I mean, look at Minezumi's evolution: http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/bwpia_draw06.jpg If you tried to extrapolate the eyes into perfectly round spheres the way that animation tries to do with Tsutarja3, they wouldn't be able to fit in the same skull.

RE: Pokabu stage 3:
There are two spikes on each arm. The arm on our left just has the second hidden out of view due to... Well, viewing angle. It's on the back of the elbow. They seem to match up to me.
There's nothing to indicate the swirls on his belly have to be perfectly symmetrical (and if they're curving around his whole body, I don't see why they'd have to be), so pointing out that they don't perfectly line up doesn't necessarily mean anything except that the artist didn't mean them to.
For the eyebrow thing, again, I just see that as foreshortening. The beginning of the eyebrows have an upwards curve/arch; on one side, you see it perfectly from the side, on the other, it's slightly facing away from you and won't be drawn the exact same way.
Rhyperior similarity doesn't really say anything except that another new pokemon has a similar bodyshape/appearance with an old one. See: Emonga, Pachirisu, Minun/Plusle, et cetera...

Again, this is just my opinion on how I'm seeing the drawings. I definitely don't mean to be inflammatory or anything. Also I can draw pictures if anyone wants clarification on how I'm seeing individual characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back