(1) 'Pokemon Peer' Scans and Information [9/9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was talking about their designs, not the way they act. The design clearly looks like a Chinese dragon.

Seriously, have you people NEVER seen a Chinese dragon before?

chinese-dragon.jpg

No one can deny that the supposed Tsutaja evo invokes vibes of that.

Yes, Tarazuma. I agree with you completely. Tsutaja's evolution looks way more Chinese than it ever was supposed to be (look at the difference with tsutaja itself).
I don't think they've mixed up with the translation.

He was talking about their designs, not the way they act. The design clearly looks like a Chinese dragon.

He said Tsutaja was based off of WESTERN culture. Chinese culture is Eastern culture.

This is someone else's (from the Serebii forums) alternate translation of the interview:

First Scan:
Sugimori: This time we really put a lot of effort into the Water type.
Oomura: We were saying "Wouldn't an otter be good for the water type?" But there was a big argument over what an otter would become when it evolved. Eventually, it was decided that we'd make it become something totally different.
Sugimori: Because we, of course, want to make the starters into Pokemon that are always going to be with the players, I think we should make their evolutions ones that give a surprise [to the players]. Each time we're working hard to try to make the third evolutions ones that have an impact.
Oomura: Also, this time there was also this suggestion that we should divide the 3 starters into Japanese, Western, and Chinese design styles. Because Tsutarja was Western and Pokabu was Chinese, it was said "Let's make Mijumaru in a Japanese style." There was also a discusion that said "I wonder if we couldn't make an otter into a warrior/samurai." (Laughs)

Second scan:
Together: Hahaha
Oomura: We were quite stressed and went to see otters in an aquarium. While we were there [we/I] saw the Sea Lion Show, and when we did, [we/I] realized the powerfulness of the sea lion. And [we/I] thought "Let's try and mix a otter with a sea lion." We thought of making the shell on it's stomach into a Katana and having it fight with it [NOTE: Unclear which stage(s) of Mijumaru's line he refers to. It could be just Mijumaru] and [with that in mind] Mijumaru and its evolutions were completed.
Interviewer: In order to design a Pokemon there's even times when you go to an Aquarium. Do you often go out to collect information [like that]?
Sugimori: In the first stages of development we all went out to a Zoo. This time it was the Tama Zoo. Everyone got a chance to have a look at animals freely. ...

Note that the original Japanese did not specify whether just Mijumaru or all of its evolutions used its shell as a sword. To me it sounds like that was just inspiration for the first stage, and they developed the rest of the line with a samurai theme in mind but not necessarily needing a "katana" for every stage.

And really, the signature move is "shell blade," which could easily just be continued with the sharp blade on top of the supposed final evo's head, in my opinion.

I don't think the interview can be used as 100% proof for either side, but I personally think it more points to the evo designs being real. They even talk about how they intended for miju to transform into something completely different, as well as noting the sea lion-based design (which was never brought up before this design appeared, so I think the correspondence would be quite the coincidence if really made by a faker and just happened to rise to such notoriety).

It doesn't really bother me either way, as though I think the design is ugly, I'm used to not liking starter's third stages in comparison with their middle ones. So I'll probably just keep my starter on its second stage like I've done almost every generation, haha.

Well speculation wise it would seem so.But that does not disclose the book of it being real or not.We don't know if they are fake or not.

I dunno, I could see Tsu3 having more of a European regalia vibe as opposed to a Chinese Dragon vibe. If the interview really claims he is more "western" that is.

Still not sure whether I believe the "revealed starter evos" are real or fake. Only time will tell I guess.

@Tarazuma: (*sigh* I know I said I was done, but....) Here let me get the rest of the quote you left out:

"I happened to catch the sea lion show while I was there, and I became aware of the sea lion's power. 'Well, let's try blending a sea otter and a sea lion,' I thought."

What he is saying is that he design mijumaru around a samurai and his evolution around a otter and a sea lion. You're taking words out of context.

Also, when compared to something going from two legs to four legs, it is a drastic change. Also, just wait about how tsutaja's design is western. I don't get it either, but I'm not going to say it's false when it's true.

Potetoe explains it better then me xD

@Potetoe
In the animation of shell blade, you can see that the shell is the same as the one Mijumaru has on its belly. The shell its final stage has is completely different, which is one of the main reasons I think they're fake.
Though you may be right, the description matches the final evolution a lot.

Probably due to the large percentage of snakes in America Scuba.Thats probably why it is western.

Also, this part of the translated article caught my eye:
"But it was a really close decision in terms of what this sea otter would become once it evolves. In the end, we decided to have it evolve into something with a completely different appearance."

So its appearance completely changes. Sounds similar to the "Final Starter Evo" for Miju we've seen. But it doesn't prove anything for sure. Just though I'd point that out.

@Pokemontage, I know, I was saying that Tsutaja's evo being based off Western culture does not tie into the supposed evo pic, as in the picture it is clearly based on an Eastern/Chinese design, and Pokabu seems to be the Western based one.

@scuba steve Are you implying that something going from a biped to a quadruped and completely changing it's design is a less drastic change then something keeping the same base design but gaining wings? You cannot be serious. I mean really, you can't. You just broke my brain if that's what you meant, please tell me I misinterpreted your post or something...

I remember reading somewhere that Tsutarja was mostly based off this snake:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opheodrys_aestivus

And I think his evo's designs look super based on the robes/clothes of Medieval royalty, actually. Very western in that sort of regal European look.

Tarazuma said:
Also, Charmeleon gainiing wings IS NOT A DRASTIC CHANGE! It keeps the same basic form (bipedal, claws, flame tail) and gains wings because it's based off a dragon, and Charmeleon already looked slightly draconic to begin with! A DRASTIC change would be Remoraid to Octillery and Dragonaire to Dragonite, both of which I still think are ridiculous.

Thanks. You said it better than me...

Summary: Y'all shall not compare the Charizard line with these supposed Mijumaru evos...

EDIT: btw, if anybody never saw a chinese dragon...

384Rayquaza.png

@Tara: Well yes and no. In terms of overall design, then yes mijumaru's line is more drastic. I was comparing how mijumaru becomes quadrupedal is not as drastic as charmeleon getting wings. Miju already has four limbs, while charmeleon gains two.

Edit: @Metalizard: I wasn't comparing their overall design. >_>

No it is based on this snake-

http://i51.tinypic.com/2djh4z.jpg

See the color resemblence

I know he doesn't specify which evolution stage he is talking to, but it seems very strange that Mijumaru and it's first evolution would use their shells (which look exactly the same) as Katana while the third form doesn't seem to be able to.

And Tsutaja is probably based on this snake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opheodrys_aestivus

...however, it being based on a North American snake is probably not the only Western influence. My speculation is that it has something to do English Royalty and possibly the ivy plays a part too (like the Ivy League schools).

EDIT: Potetoe totally beat me to the Tsutaja description, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back