(1) Nintendo 2DS Announced [8/28]

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
Is it April Fool's Day already? I mean, I understand people wanting to jump the gun with silly jokes, but...

ImBlue

Aspiring Trainer
Did Nintendo actually just create a cheaper version of it's own product to compete with? Sure they'll get more sales with the less serious crowd, but by definition they weren't going to make much money off of them anyways.

At least they were smart enough to make it not foldable so that the 3DS still will appeal more to their more devoted audiences and the 2DS won't take away too many sales in that group. It's a cool concept, but still weird from a business perspective. Maybe Nintendo's just feeling courteous, lol.

bacon

!!!!!
*shrug* Another console on the market doesn't do anyone any harm. I have no qualms in paying less for a console that lacks a 3D capability I never use anyway.

It would be nice if it could fold, though.

Before I actually read the news story, I thought the "2DS" in the thread title was a typo. P:

Blah

DBT
o___o

I honestly thought it was a joke when I first saw the trailer...like...really?

"Enjoy everything that you could do on a 3DS...except you can't do it in 3D!"

I'm normally not one to question business decisions but this seems really...odd. I understand the lower price point, but as mentioned above, I don't see how this is going to be a gigantic money maker.

Tatertot

Trick Room Tyrant
The real reason for this is because Nintendo always stresses a "ages 7+" limit for the 3DS because of the 3D aspects. Some parents would be less likely to buy a 3DS for their young kids, so the 2DS is a way for Nintendo to reach a younger demographic. It's a pretty smart move, actually; they know that many of the older consumers will just ignore the 2DS and buy the 3, thus netting them more money, while more younger consumers will buy the 2DS, netting them even MORE money. Ca-ching, ca-ching.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
If this was out when I bought my 3DS and could actually fold down to the size of a 3DS or so, I probably would have bought this; I hardly ever turn the 3D on anyway. However, the inability to fit a "portable" console in a pocket is a huge downside imo. It makes a bit of sense that they released it this late; most people who wanted a 3DS will have bought the higher price version by now, which I assume gives Nintendo greater profits, but by the same logic I'm not sure that enough people will buy a 2DS at this point for it to be worth it for Nintendo.

masterryanx

N
Blah said:
I understand the lower price point, but as mentioned above, I don't see how this is going to be a gigantic money maker.

It's not going to be, nor do I think it's really meant to be. It's just meant to fill a niche and give consumers more options. That's really it.

Chariblaze

When you add it all up...
1. The buttons by the top system should go well with most 3DS games.

2. So a carrying case... mentioned by Nintendo? Makes me wonder if they're simply partnering with one of their licensees or are actually making it themselves.

3. I think it's safe to say this is the definitive console for DS games that make heavy use of using both screens at once (e.g. Sonic Rush... and... er...).

4. I don't think Ninty will be launching two sets of hardware at once, so I guess it's bye-bye to any hope of limited-edition 3DS XL's on launch. :/

5. As usual, I hear about non-E3 hardware announcements from PB first. First DSi, then 3DS, now this. Good job. ^_^

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
3. I think it's safe to say this is the definitive console for DS games that make heavy use of using both screens at once (e.g. Sonic Rush... and... er...).
The World Ends With You. That's another one.

Kind of a pain this 2DS doesn't fold though. If it doesn't fold, then what's the point, really? It's just that much more prone to getting damaged.

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar
Nintendo is getting desperate. Either they feel the most up-to-date handheld is too up to date, or they're just hungry for money. if it's the latter, somebody give them a snickers bar. If it's the former, well....

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
Probably would've bought this (as I don't have a 3DS and the 3D just doesn't interest me), but alas, it doesn't fold. As DNA said, I'd be worried about it getting damaged.

Great idea, not-as-great execution.

Jackie

Aspiring Trainer
Im not too interested in it. 2D is fine I keep the 3D shut off anyway, but non closing handhelds get soooo many scratches on the screen, and I can never seem to apply screen protectors without air bubbles. Plus whats the size of this thing? Is there going to be a 2DS XL later on? I already have a Japanese 3DS, and a North American 3DSXL so I really dont need a 3rd installment.

Pokemonlover903

Sylveon is love, Sylveon is life
DNA said:
The World Ends With You. That's another one.

Kind of a pain this 2DS doesn't fold though. If it doesn't fold, then what's the point, really? It's just that much more prone to getting damaged.

I can see a five year old with one of these with cracked screens

Squidtepig

Aspiring Trainer
I really don't like the fact that this 2DS doesn't fold. I do however, Like the fact that it reaching out to the Younger kids/big families. (I'm a child of 4) the cost for the 2DS would be very efficient for a big family especially since the holiday's are just around the corner. :)

Videoland

Aspiring Trainer
I never bought the 3DS because of the 3D, so I think it a great ideá to release a console without the 3D effect and make it cheaper. But like everyone else, I don't like the fact that it doesn't fold, and the design is pretty ugly tbh. But its great for everyone who was going to buy a 3DS just for Pokémon XY, but I would've probably rather just buy a pre-owned one in good condition :/