(1) Ninfia's English Name: Sylveon [2/14]

Sylvan is something associated with forests. I think Sylveon is probably a forest sprite, thus flying.

ChillBill said:
Sylvan is something associated with forests. I think Sylveon is probably a forest sprite, thus flying.

''Sylvan is something associated with forests. I think Sylveon is probably a forest sprite, thus Grass.''

^ Makes more sense..

Like I said in the other thread, I think it will probably be a normal type. However my second guess would actually be Ghost, then flying.

I really don't see how it looks like Delcatty + Victiti. IMO, it looks more like Spring Deerling + Ribbons.

A Sylph is a Western-origin air spirit elemental. Sylveon is clearly hinting at the word Sylph.

The Pokemon XY website says Sylveon is a new type to the other Eeveelutions.

Everything is pointing towards it being a Flying-type.

Pokequaza said:
''Sylvan is something associated with forests. I think Sylveon is probably a forest sprite, thus Grass.''

^ Makes more sense..

It would if we didn't have Leafeon. Or you could say Bug if it looked bug-like at all. But since none of the previous apply, I say Flying.

Pokequaza said:
ChillBill said:

^ Makes more sense..

There is already a Grass-type Eeveelution, Leafeon.

Also, forest sprites usually have bug-like features (like antennae and butterfly wings), so Bug would be more likely. Flying is still a possibility. However, it still seems like a Normal-type to me (especially since all of its moves in the video appeared to be Normal-type), though I'm fine with whatever.

oakbark said:
A Sylph is a Western-origin air spirit elemental. Sylveon is clearly hinting at the word Sylph.

True, but where did the v come from in Sylveon? Sylpheon would be better, as I couldn't even tell Sylveon was based on Sylph.

I think that Sylveon is pointing at a Sylvan, here's the definition:

Sylvan or Silvan refers to an association with the woods. Specifically, that which inhabits the wood, is made of tree materials, or comprises the forest itself. The term can also refer to a person who resides in the woods or a spirit of the wood. In mythology, the term also refers to deities or spirits of the woods.

Quickly grabbed that off wiki. To me at least, the flying type is unlikely.

Blob55 said:
oakbark said:

True, but where did the v come from in Sylveon? Sylpheon would be better, as I couldn't even tell Sylveon was based on Sylph.

I would liken it to elf>elven and dwarf>dwarven - the v replaces the f just to soften the word. I know that didn't apply for Leafeon, but that's my interpretation of it.

Sylph and Nymph are also very similar words, both related to fairies (which are the basis of the name in all languages).

41SVAJRZSAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typical_warbler
Yeah.....flying type definitely.

> Has no wings.
> Named after a genus of birds.

I would love to see what kind of dex entry they're going to make up for this critter.

the theme in the names is:
-slyph, nymph, fairy (fee in german)

since the rest of the eeveelutions all had obvious indications of its types in their names (and design), this further implies that this will likely turn out to be Normal.

We see it use 4 moves in the short video.

-RED WAVE OF SHIET
Focus Blast or at least something that looks similar.. It could be Last Resort.

-TRUMP CARD 100%
Which is a Normal move only Eevee learns (not its eeveelutions) at a late level

-SUCK IN SHIET
No idea o____o

-SWIFT
Another Normal move, however Eevee doesn't learn it...

I have a hunch this will be added to Eevees learnset and used as the trigger for evolution, making it work like a "fake level evolution" of Eevee, which sounds perfect for a Normal one.

Some people think the X mascot pokemon could be a new Light type or such. I think Sylveon is Flying but if that forest guardian stuff is true, it could be a new Light type.

(Though I am strongly against new types, we REALLY don't need them)

My guess is that this new Eeveelution will be either Normal, or Flying type. Certain things about it in the battle video make me think that it's a normal type. For example, it appears to be using normal type moves like Swift and Trump Card, and it has a pretty "normal" looking design. My second guess is that it's going to be flying due to its flowing bows and ribbons (like a kite), and it has a name similar to that of a Sylvia warbler (as posted above). Oh well, I guess only time will tell. :p

People keep saying Sylveon looks nothing like a flying-type, yet Shaymin's Sky Forme doesn't look like it either, and he could fly. Who's to say a Pokémon needs to have wings to be able to fly?

Back