(1) Modified Format Officially Next Destinies-On, New B/W-On Format Coming in 2014-2015 [7/16]

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
TheKeaton said:
I'd be kinda disappointed if it wasn't Grass/Ghost, but oh well. If it doesn't evolve I'm probably not gonna catch one but it would be so cool if it had another tree counterpart and they kinda did the same thing they did in RB with caterpie/weedle; Where they weren't version exclusives, but in one version you had a higher chance of encountering one than you did in the other version

I'll take a shot and guess that you posted about Orotto in the wrong thread... XD

And the only thing that REALLY hurts me is Pokemon Communication... u.u

dragontamer115

Elusive Challenger
Coming from a MtG player's viewpoint... we have Unlimited (Legacy) and Modified (Standard) for PTCG, so could we see a "Modern" format (MTG took everything printed from 8th edition on)?

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
dragontamer115 said:
Coming from a MtG player's viewpoint... we have Unlimited (Legacy) and Modified (Standard) for PTCG, so could we see a "Modern" format (MTG took everything printed from 8th edition on)?
^That's honestly how I was seeing this BW-on 2014-15 format as well.

dragontamer115

Elusive Challenger
I know they've gone through a few different styles since Base Set, but as long as Pokemon maintains the style of the current cards, this could work!
Otherwise, it'll be a pain to have to look up cards based on an expansion symbol...

proddy

Aspiring Trainer
What will this do to card values? As a collector I was looking forward to completing Next Destinies - Boundaries Crossed without spending too much money next year.

I'm guessing it won't be as drastic as Primes (going from $20-50 to $2-8), but it'll still drop due to being illegal in Modified, right?

How many players would play unlimited, as a percentage of those who currently play modified?

Momaster12

The Temporal Destroyer
I'm not sure about prices. I don't pay for singles, well I hardly ever buy packs either. I think the prices will remain the moderately the same.

I don't care what anyone says. I'm very happy with the rotation. And who knows, maybe we'll get the catcher from the Kyurem deck. If that would be the case, awesome (I only have one from Emerging Powers so it would be nice for me to get another chance to play 'em)!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
proddy said:
What will this do to card values? As a collector I was looking forward to completing Next Destinies - Boundaries Crossed without spending too much money next year.

I'm guessing it won't be as drastic as Primes (going from $20-50 to $2-8), but it'll still drop due to being illegal in Modified, right?

How many players would play unlimited, as a percentage of those who currently play modified?

With the new B/W format being (sort of) announced, it's possible that playable cards (especially EXes and trainers) won't drop all that much in price, since there will still be an official format that uses them. It's hard to say how much since, as far as I know, Pokémon hasn't done this sort of thing before, so there's no precedent to compare it to.

proddy

Aspiring Trainer
Artemis said:
proddy said:

With the new B/W format being (sort of) announced, it's possible that playable cards (especially EXes and trainers) won't drop all that much in price, since there will still be an official format that uses them. It's hard to say how much since, as far as I know, Pokémon hasn't done this sort of thing before, so there's no precedent to compare it to.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But as the card pool increases, I'd say the older EX's would become less relevant and hopefully their prices will fall. Maybe more counters will appear, or maybe power creep will show its ugly face. You wouldn't play cards from Base Set vs cards from Black and White, right?

So I'm thinking it'll take longer for prices to decrease, but it'll decrease eventually.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
That would depend on the exact nature of the format. A lot of people are speculating that it will be a new unlimited-like system that just starts at BW, and if that's the case, prices will probably drop slightly after rotation, continue dropping slightly throughout 2014 (based on power creep), and then have another big fluctuation around the 2014 format change once the details of the new format are released and how many people decide they're going to participate in it.

If the format ends up being something entirely different than what people are expecting, the pricing will probably start out similar, but the fluctuation at 2014 format announcement will probably be more pronounced. If it's something gimmicky, or if it doesn't get a lot of support (very few tournaments using it or lack of CP for participating or whatever) prices would probably drop quickly due to people deciding to not even bother with the format, even if they thought they might like it before. On the other hand, if the format is really cool, or if it offers something new with very heavy support, prices might even increased based on more people wanting to get in on it than planned. I don't think either of these scenarios are particularly likely, but they're possible.