(1) Japan's July Set Not BW10, but 'EX Battle Boost'

salmoncannon

Aware
Why would they leave so many trios and groups of legenadarys unfinished?
Binders would look so much cooler with all 3 full art beasts or Regis lined up but noooope.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
With the seeming syncing of TCG

XY should be a double set in Japan, will English set be a double set?
How will Decks and Promos be handled?

NarcoticHobo

Aspiring Trainer
omahanime said:
With the seeming syncing of TCG

XY should be a double set in Japan, will English set be a double set?
How will Decks and Promos be handled?

Eng could be double set with blister packs that contain 1 each of 5 card packs at the sender price as current single blisters?

Decks could be mirrors of the set Jpn decks.

Promos could still be packaged with tins, blisters , or miscellaneous packs.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
On the subject of sets syncing up, I don't think it's entirely possible. The ways the US market operates from the way the Japanese market are completely different and I don't think the US would be able to handle switching to the Japanese style. (such as only getting 1 set in the first half of the year and getting 3 sets in the later half of the year, with nothing but Theme Decks and Blister Packs to fill the way)

TL;DR: It would be nice for our sets to be released at the same time, but it wouldn't work.

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
No. If they release at the same time then I can't wave my Japanese cards around at people with gusto!

I mean people I know are still lusting after shiny collection cards, and that wouldn't be the case if they had released at the same time. Personally I don't see the English and Japanese TCG being synced because it seems to be more of a hassle than it's worth but who knows.

Reggie McGigas

-
Machamp the Champion said:
Reggie McGigas said:
Yo, why'd you put my quote in your sig? Is Celebi EX not a good card or somthin?

Umm... no, Celebi is not good. There really isn't a good partner for Celebi EX. And constant 2 free prizes for your opponent is very bad.

LOL

Look at Celebi's ability.

Nuff said.

I'm kinda hoping this set gets released with the shiny colection in two mini sets like dragon vault.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Possible synchronization of Japanese and International sets aside, I'm on the fence about this one. Even as a collector, I didn't care much for CoL; I felt the new art for reprinted cards was overall worse than the art found in the original sets and the shinies rather gimmicky. That said, the Japanese are usually better at making their SR/UR cards cool and they seem to be more innovative as a whole.

If there are some cool EXes and FAs (even if they're just reprints with new artwork, so long as the artwork is cool), and/or if the remade artwork is interesting, I'll probably end up getting a box or two, but I'll likely wait to see some sneak peaks at some of the new cards before I commit to pre-ordering anything.

Professer K

Aspiring Trainer
Reggie McGigas said:
Umm... no, Celebi is not good. There really isn't a good partner for Celebi EX. And constant 2 free prizes for your opponent is very bad.

LOL

Nuff said.

I'm kinda hoping this set gets released with the shiny colection in two mini sets like dragon vault.

Which is only useful with evolutions. The current medagame is set towards basics not evolutions. Yes some evolutions are used like Blastoise, however the medagame is focused on basics and how to abuse the crap out of the good EX's. I love Celebi but in the current meda game it isn't worth playing unless you are running it in a Flygon/Dusknoir deck.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
LOL

Nuff said.
Can you actually name a good exploiter of that ability besides Charmeleon or Vibrava? (and even then those two are just 'okay'.) The ability is good, but the problem is that nothing can effectively use it.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Just asking, but how many of you think that the international market adopting the Japanese style of Pokemon TCG products and vice versa is a very very bad idea since, I don't know, the whole xbox 720 always on #dealwithit?

Only cardfight vanguard is the game that I could think of where the style of products between Japanese and the US markets are the same. I don't think CF vanguard will grow to the size and popularity of MTG, YGO, or Pokemon TCG, unless they cater to the US market, but I don't think Bushiroad is looking to go big yet.

To me personally, I think it would be a very bad idea to adopt the Japanese style of selling the TCGs. Other than box sets, we have a more predictable release schedule, and you can ensure that there are 8 precons every year, that contain 60 cards, and the same stuff inside for each precon. In Japan, they sometimes release 6 precons a year, 2 precons the next year, and maybe 4 precons the next, and some may be half decks while the others are full decks.

Looking at Yugioh OCG and TCG, you could see a relationship between their sets and structure decks, where to the point that the TCG uses the same name as the OCG boosters.

Maybe for Japan, they might decide to adopt our naming system, or try to force TPCi to use their booster naming system. It may be a long shot, but they might stop doing the whole 2 boosters to pick from style of marketing to ensure that their and our booster pack names are the same.

Looking at Japan Pokemon TCG and US Pokemon TCG, they are vastly different that there seems to be a barrier preventing any communication between them, but for XY and beyond, I think that barrier might be broken, and that there has to be a middle ground. One of them being that rather than releasing sets only for half the year, and precons only for the other half, they might spread them out evenly, and associate precons with their sets, although I know of no Japanese TCG that associates precons with sets. That is a WOTC thing that Pokemon TCG adopted, which is one of the things that I want kept with the Pokemon TCG in the US.

Oh, haven't you heard, even in places like France, they don't even have Plasma Storm out yet, at least I think they don't.

I mean, look at these 2 links

This is the US Plasma Storm page

This is the France Plasma Storm page

As you can see, we already have plasma storm out. They don't have theirs until May 8, 2013. So not only are the US behind Japan, but some European countries are behind the US.

Phoenix EX

"... ..." -Red
Maybe The Pokémon Company wants to have simultaneous worldwide releases of the card game too, maybe it'll happen to the anime too? Hopefully if it does other companies will follow and do the same thing. I hate waiting half a year for certain games to be localized.

...first video games, then anime, then the governments uniting...is this the start of the New World Order/One World Government?
Hahaha i kid i kid.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
signofzeta said:
(a whole lot of good points about differences in the Japanese and International TCG market that I'm snipping because it's long)

I do think you raise some good points, and I likely see some sort of middle ground being reached between the Japanese and International releases of the TCG markets, if they do decide to sync up.

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about any other TCG/CCG system, and I've only started collecting again in the past couple years, so all of the information and feelings I have to go off of are based on recent events)

As much as I, personally, would love to see the International Pokémon TCG releases match their Japanese counterparts, I don't honestly expect it to happen, even if the sets are synchronized. What I think will happen instead is some things being synchronized, some things being pushed back, and some things not getting released Internationally at all.

The following paragraph is entirely speculation, but I think that, if they do decide to synchronize the sets, the main sets themselves would be the only things actually synced up: Japan gets XY1, everyone else gets XY1. Where I think the differences will come in are in the other products: the precons, the gift sets, the promos. I don't think the International market will release the precons the way they do in Japan, with exclusive cards, etc. I think the International market will likely continue to make their own precons just like they do now, always a full deck with cards from the current set. The exclusive cards from Japanese decks and other Japanese promos (like their own gift sets and promo packs) will be released in International gift sets (who knows, this may even encourage TCPi to try and do a couple new things with their gift sets) or saved to be put into the following set. Also, any double sets Japan gets will likely be squashed into a single larger set internationally. Things like the beginning set would probably also get squashed into the next International release instead of released individually, except maybe once or twice if TCPi is feeling adventurous.

I wonder how much money TCPi made from the International release of Dragon Vault. Knowing some numbers about that may help us guess how much they might be willing to attempt to branch out in the future.

NIRVANA

Aspiring Trainer
signofzeta said:
Just asking, but how many of you think that the international market adopting the Japanese style of Pokemon TCG products and vice versa is a very very bad idea since, I don't know, the whole xbox 720 always on #dealwithit?

Only cardfight vanguard is the game that I could think of where the style of products between Japanese and the US markets are the same. I don't think CF vanguard will grow to the size and popularity of MTG, YGO, or Pokemon TCG, unless they cater to the US market, but I don't think Bushiroad is looking to go big yet.

To me personally, I think it would be a very bad idea to adopt the Japanese style of selling the TCGs. Other than box sets, we have a more predictable release schedule, and you can ensure that there are 8 precons every year, that contain 60 cards, and the same stuff inside for each precon. In Japan, they sometimes release 6 precons a year, 2 precons the next year, and maybe 4 precons the next, and some may be half decks while the others are full decks.

Looking at Yugioh OCG and TCG, you could see a relationship between their sets and structure decks, where to the point that the TCG uses the same name as the OCG boosters.

Maybe for Japan, they might decide to adopt our naming system, or try to force TPCi to use their booster naming system. It may be a long shot, but they might stop doing the whole 2 boosters to pick from style of marketing to ensure that their and our booster pack names are the same.

Looking at Japan Pokemon TCG and US Pokemon TCG, they are vastly different that there seems to be a barrier preventing any communication between them, but for XY and beyond, I think that barrier might be broken, and that there has to be a middle ground. One of them being that rather than releasing sets only for half the year, and precons only for the other half, they might spread them out evenly, and associate precons with their sets, although I know of no Japanese TCG that associates precons with sets. That is a WOTC thing that Pokemon TCG adopted, which is one of the things that I want kept with the Pokemon TCG in the US.

Oh, haven't you heard, even in places like France, they don't even have Plasma Storm out yet, at least I think they don't.

I mean, look at these 2 links

This is the US Plasma Storm page

This is the France Plasma Storm page

As you can see, we already have plasma storm out. They don't have theirs until May 8, 2013. So not only are the US behind Japan, but some European countries are behind the US.

That is because they realese the cards in French, they have already them in Inglish that happens on Germany, they are not behind

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Artemis said:
signofzeta said:
(a whole lot of good points about differences in the Japanese and International TCG market that I'm snipping because it's long)

I do think you raise some good points, and I likely see some sort of middle ground being reached between the Japanese and International releases of the TCG markets, if they do decide to sync up.

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about any other TCG/CCG system, and I've only started collecting again in the past couple years, so all of the information and feelings I have to go off of are based on recent events)

As much as I, personally, would love to see the International Pokémon TCG releases match their Japanese counterparts, I don't honestly expect it to happen, even if the sets are synchronized. What I think will happen instead is some things being synchronized, some things being pushed back, and some things not getting released Internationally at all.

The following paragraph is entirely speculation, but I think that, if they do decide to synchronize the sets, the main sets themselves would be the only things actually synced up: Japan gets XY1, everyone else gets XY1. Where I think the differences will come in are in the other products: the precons, the gift sets, the promos. I don't think the International market will release the precons the way they do in Japan, with exclusive cards, etc. I think the International market will likely continue to make their own precons just like they do now, always a full deck with cards from the current set. The exclusive cards from Japanese decks and other Japanese promos (like their own gift sets and promo packs) will be released in International gift sets (who knows, this may even encourage TCPi to try and do a couple new things with their gift sets) or saved to be put into the following set. Also, any double sets Japan gets will likely be squashed into a single larger set internationally. Things like the beginning set would probably also get squashed into the next International release instead of released individually, except maybe once or twice if TCPi is feeling adventurous.

I wonder how much money TCPi made from the International release of Dragon Vault. Knowing some numbers about that may help us guess how much they might be willing to attempt to branch out in the future.

So basically saying, everything will stay the same as is, except for release dates right? We still get set associated theme decks, and they still get their own precon decks.

What I think we can do about their exclusive precon cards is to pull off a yugioh. Release those on top of an existing set.

So here's what I think will happen. We release our set one month +-one month after Japan does. We release our stuff in 10 card packs, while they release theirs in 5 card packs. When they have those double sets, we still release ours as a single set, like how we have been doing it in the Black and White generation. They won't have set associated theme decks, but we will still have set associated theme decks. They will release non-set associated theme decks with cards exclusive to that deck, but we won't. Those exclusive cards will be released on top of existing main sets, or as promo cards for us. We won't have a one-for-one translation of box sets between us and Japan. We will have our own box set release schedule, independent of the Japanese box set release schedule.

I probably just repeated what you just said. Whoops.

Another thing I think might happen.

We sync up XY1 and maybe XY2's release, and then we start having release gaps again, because it is impossible to have simultaneous Japanese and international releases.

ECHOxLegend

All-Seeing Trainer
SoulWind said:
I think I speak for all of us when I say I am disappointed over not getting Suicune-EX. :(

I don't care, suicune is cool but not that cool, although I would say I like him more than raikou.

Reggie McGigas said:
Yo, why'd you put my quote in your sig? Is Celebi EX not a good card or somthin?

Out of all my games with flygon/Landorus EX/Dusknoir/Celebi EX, I have never lost b losing Celebi, its always been because of my dumb plays, but quite a bit of people are hesitant to attack him for some reason.

bagoly14 said:
I would be severely disappointed if the English and Japanese sets get synced. Would that mean that the TCG would be synced for the whole season? I don't like the idea of not being able to have Japanese Full Art cards before the English FA are released; it would drive the value of Japanese cards down pretty badly because they would lose their exclusiveness at time of release...

get your priorities straight boy. you are seriously worried about the value of your japanese cards being lower?

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
ECHOxLegend said:

Out of all my games with flygon/Landorus EX/Dusknoir/Celebi EX, I have never lost b losing Celebi, its always been because of my dumb plays, but quite a bit of people are hesitant to attack him for some reason.

My definition of "good" is something that can do decent at a tournament. Celebi works with plenty of Pokemon, it just can't do well at a tournament.

Reggie McGigas

-
DNA said:
LOL

Nuff said.
Can you actually name a good exploiter of that ability besides Charmeleon or Vibrava? (and even then those two are just 'okay'.) The ability is good, but the problem is that nothing can effectively use it.

See, you just said yourself that there are Pokemon that can use it lol.

Blui

lv85 paladin
Reggie McGigas said:
DNA said:

See, you just said yourself that there are Pokemon that can use it lol.

1. Charizard will never win a tournament so Charmeleon is stupid
2. When has Flygon topped? Oh right. Never.

Look, Celebi has a nice ability, there's just nothing that can use it, therefor the card is complete trash as it has low HP and a shitty attack.