♦ Special Rotated Review: Spiritomb (Arceus #32) {5/19/12} ♦

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
Card of the Day: Spiritomb​
32-spiritomb.jpg

If this card was tournament legal, in what ways would it affect the metagame? Would it see play? What decks would it do well in? What decks would it be good against? Shallow and/or spam posts are not allowed.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
RE: ♦ Special Rotated Review: Spiritomb (Arecus #32) {5/19/12} ♦

This one card is the most important reason I wanted an Arceus-on format. (Oh, and Arceus.dek. That would be fun.)

Why? Okay, let's see. Item-Lock. That is crucial. It might become the common lead in a plethora of decks, as well as radically change what builds would be like (a lot of decks nowadays are very item-heavy, and Spiritomb just wrecks that). It even gives evolution decks a fighting chance; you can evolve 1 of your own Pokemon at the cost of 10 HP...and now with Skyarrow Bridge around, he has great mobility; no Moonlight Stadium or Unown Q necessary.

Okay so 60 HP isn't all that hot, and a lot of the metagame is run by big basics, but like I said earlier, with Item-Lock and quick evolution, it gives decks more of a chance, ESPECIALLY stuff like VVV - given how Vileplume decks already have slow setup times.

Spiritomb also prevents Catcher killing, and although you can Catcher kill a Spiritomb with relative ease, you have to lock yourself for the rest of the turn to do so. Honestly, were this card around, the meta would be drastically affected...not as big of a margin as some people might think, but still pretty big.

Blui

lv85 paladin
RE: ♦ Special Rotated Review: Spiritomb (Arecus #32) {5/19/12} ♦

This was a really good card, but it kinda made Basics friggin' awesome. The first attack made evolution a bit more playable. The second attack was a waste of Energy (pun). No weakness is great, but the HP is quite low. The card was super-duper awesome.
8/10 for the Worlds 10 format.