“Scarlet & Violet” English Set Revealed for March: Silver Borders, Three Holos Per Pack, Price Increases

You almost have to do a double take when looking at English cards with silver borders and set codes.

Those energy cards are ooglay, though. I thought most people understood it’s a standard energy card? (How could you not?)
It's probably mainly for Special Energy, but they also want consistency for all Energy.

It's a sure thing that you're correct. The set is too large to reach that size even with full-arts, so it must include cards from SV1.5 as well.
No. Scarlet ex and Violet ex are 78 cards each, which already accounts for 156 cards. The rest is likely coming from the 3 Starter Deck exs.
If they would include cards from Triplet Beat the set would be over 260 cards.

This is the best TCG news since forever. The price increase feels very abstract to me. Boosters cost already 5-8 euro’s per pack here. So it still feels cheap to me.

Actually a pretty exciting press release. Having just gotten back into the TCG this spring, I’m looking forward to the SV block.

I’m with everyone else on team “will miss the set symbols and yellow borders,” though. I never understood the hate for the yellow/gold — but maybe that’s because my primary era of collecting was Base-Neo Destiny.
If I had to guess it's because they have terrible tastes.

No, they never had yellow borders. The original, Gym, and Neo expansion cards have gold borders.
Gold, which is a hue of...?

"Due to global inflation impacting the cost of materials and production, Pokemon Trading Card Game products will see varying MSRP increases in select markets with the launch of the Scarlet & Violet series. For example, the price of a booster pack will increase from $3.99 to $4.49 USD."

Pure corporate GREED. This is pretty disgusting.
Booster packs have been $4.49 at Target and $4.99 at my LGS for almost two years now. I honestly don’t remember ever seeing boosters at $3.99…so I wouldn’t call it greed. A 50 cent increase makes sense with the cost increase in global production and distribution.

I love every single one of these changes, even though I was excited for the return of ex’s, because I thought that would benefit expanded’s heavy EX theme…guess not.

I think this will be series where I start collecting.

That's like calling the silver borders black.

Pretty bold of someone incapable of telling apart different shades of colors to comment on "horrible tastes".
They weren't metallic, which gold is, they were a yellow that transitioned to a browner yellow

Also these borders aren't silver. Magic the Gathering did silver borders. These are gray borders

You forgot the FAs are part of the main English sets.
Which would further confirm my point that there's no space for Triplet Beat in it.
The whole starter of this discussion is that maybe FAs might become SRs just like in Japan since Professor Turo is #190 and there are only 198 in the regular set, leaving not much space for FAs.

Last edited:
I think that the idea is create a waterfall labelling, just like they do for the Trainer cards.
On the top right you read what it is, an energy card. Then you move to the top left and you realize that is a basic or a special energy card. Lastly, you read the main title and you find out what kind of basic or special energy is.

Of course with basic energies looks a bit redundant, but I think it's designed to help the new (potentially young) players.
I think they could have just put the new subtitle where the old title was not use the 2 lines. Now energy needs to stick out twice as far out the top under your pokemon on the field. Idk

Last edited:
Actually a pretty exciting press release. Having just gotten back into the TCG this spring, I’m looking forward to the SV block.

I’m with everyone else on team “will miss the set symbols and yellow borders,” though. I never understood the hate for the yellow/gold — but maybe that’s because my primary era of collecting was Base-Neo Destiny.
I like those different type symbols, thought poison would be pink but turquoise might be better.

This might be the biggest restructuring of the TCG since Nintendo acquired it from Wizards. While I'll miss the yellow borders and set symbols because of nostalgia, I think it makes sense to finally move on from them. The non-holo rares can eff off into oblivion though

The price increase was inevitable. While of course no one should be happy when it goes up, I am relieved that it was a reasonable amount. Coupled with the restructuring of the pull rate, I think the increase is more than fair. Could have been much worse.

Apparently it has, which is completely beyond me, such an absolute waste. Also, if it has to be all the same, why in hell was bench barrier the one effect chosen for this? It seems so random. Absolutely beyond me why they did that instead of having each card have an individual trait.
Something I haven't seen brought up yet is the possibility of a mistranslation. What if bench barrier is the tera effect of every pokemon with a fire tera type? Then, each Tera Type would have its own bonus effect. That makes way more sense to me, since every Tera EX just having bench barrier is completely baffling.

Something I haven't seen brought up yet is the possibility of a mistranslation. What if bench barrier is the tera effect of every pokemon with a fire tera type? Then, each Tera Type would have its own bonus effect. That makes way more sense to me, since every Tera EX just having bench barrier is completely baffling.

A dude on youtube said that that's probably the case, I mean, it's the only explanation, an entire gen of the tcg having a bunch of mons have an entirely arbitrary and particular trait for no reason really doesn't make any sense. My guess is that your assumption is correct (that same dude also said the same thing), it makes sense for each tera type to have a trait of its own. Although I would still prefer them being completely unique to each mon, it is infinitely better than the bench barrier for all nonsense.

Back